Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clean and check - older Canon 300/2.8  (Read 2168 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Clean and check - older Canon 300/2.8
« on: March 31, 2015, 02:31:43 pm »

I have a 20+ year old Canon 300/2.8 L EF lens that's seen a lot of use over the years. (In fact, I blieve I bought it the same year I bought my first EOS-1.) Because my shooting style has changed, I don't use it frequently these days. (Once upon a time in fashion, a 300 was practically the ONLY lens one used.) A few years ago I sent it to Canon CPS repair to be checked and cleaned. And they sent it right back. At this point, it's too old for them to work on, they say they have no parts, and so it sits. It still functions well, is still quite sharp, but I just know it needs some sort of cleaning and service.

Can anyone recommend a reputable, capable camera and lens service to go over my trusty old lens? I've thought of replacing it a few times -- probably with with an f4 version, but since my use of a 300 is so rare these days, I just can't justify a new 300/2.8 (as much as I'd love the IS), and even question the 300/4.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Nemo

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Re: Clean and check - older Canon 300/2.8
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 06:10:25 pm »

I've used Precision Camera before. They did great work on an old 300mm I had.

http://www.precisioncamera.com/canon-camera-repair.html
~ CB

nemophoto

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 07:16:36 pm »

Thanks Chris. I'll look into them.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 09:51:16 pm »

I think I have the same lens :) You could also talk with KEH in Atlanta and see if they will look at it. I've had some repairs done there for really old stuff, though not Canon EOS gear.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Colorado David

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 11:27:25 pm »

A colleague of mine has that lens and had the same experience sending it to CPS.  They looked at the serial number, packed it back up and shipped it back to him.  His may have actually been new enough to have IS.  I don't know for sure and am not a Canon shooter, so don't know the date when a 300 f/2.8 with IS was first sold.  You can send it to other repair services, but if they get it apart and find they need a part, there will be no source.  His 500 f/4 is in the same age range.  He eventually let his CPS membership lapse and then wanted to restart it and had some trouble because a lot of his equipment no longer counted towards the CPS membership.

nemophoto

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 12:05:31 pm »

I have enough newer gear that it's not a problem whether the 300/2.8 is listed or not for CPS Platinum. I have to question the CPS Platinum status -- it's just not as good as a few years ago, but MUCH cheaper! I've been a CPS member since about 1982, give or take. It use to be that you had to submit tearsheet and other bonafides to get in. Now you just send a check.  ;D

Anyway, I'll see what some of the repair places say. I've written two so far and ZERO response. Doesn't make me exactly excited to send them my equipment. I wish lensrentals.com provided that service. Just from reading, as well as my own rental experiences, you know they are meticulous and know how disassemble and reassemble a complex lens without breaking it!

Does anyone know how good the 300/4 is by comparison? The 300/2.8 line has always been one of Canon's best. I had an FD version I used hard in my manual focus days.

Colorado David

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 12:28:53 pm »

I have used an independent repair shop for many years.  He was a warranty service shop for all the major professional equipment brands.  The last time I was in his shop, he expressed some frustration with the way the business had changed and how hard it was to get repair parts from the majors.  He said he was thinking of retiring.  I thought it was just his frustration talking.  I was going to recommend his shop to you, but I've come to find out he made good on his threat.  He has closed his shop and retired.  A big chunk of skill and knowledge has been lost. :'(

JeanMichel

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 12:32:51 pm »

I recently had excellent service for a newer Canon lens from Sun Camera Service http://suncameraservice.ca/
They are located in the Toronto area (Ontario). Phone number: (905) 669-6406
They have been in business for some 40 years. They gave me a tour of their facility -- very professional, and very friendly. Might be worth calling them.
Jean-Michel

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 12:34:46 pm »

Does anyone know how good the 300/4 is by comparison? The 300/2.8 line has always been one of Canon's best. I had an FD version I used hard in my manual focus days.

The current 300mm f/4 is still an older design image stabilized lens; not one of the new version II telephotos. It holds up very well against the same generation 300 f/2.8 though it is obviously slower [edit: and a heck of a lot lighter]. I think it would surpass performance of the much older FD glass. Take a look at this comparison:

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 12:40:58 pm by DeanChriss »
- Dean

MikeHudson

• Images of Acadia Fine Art Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 06:01:31 pm »

I have both the f/4 and the f/2.8 versions. I bought the f/4 in 1993-ish and almost never use it now. I bought the 2.8 (MkII with the IS) in 2002 and still use it regularly. I prefer the 2.8 for all the obvious reasons (extra stop, nicer bokeh, better feel in your hands), but the f/4 is a great lens, and so much easier to lug around than the 2.8- it's my travel 300 (I also have the 400/2.8 which makes the 300/2.8 seem tiny). The IQ of both is superb and I don't think you'd go wrong with the f/4 lens if you go that route.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up