Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best printer for a strong vibrant RED?  (Read 9928 times)

Plateau Light

• Robert Park Fine Art Photographer
Re: Best printer for a strong vibrant RED?
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 01:17:36 pm »

Epson Claria is wider than the 9900.
Canon is a thermal head technology that must use inks that are thinned more than the epson heads.
This allows Epson printers to have a heavier ink with respect to colorant load which can give more gamut.
Canon ipf wide format pigment printers are a heavier ink but do not have a dye ink available.
The best way to compare is to do an apples to apples comparison with the same head / ink formulation tech.
In that case the Claria dye still wins.

hugowolf

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 01:31:51 pm »

So that would seem to put the lie to the claim that dye based inkjet printers have a larger potential gamut than pigment based, yes ?

At least on Canson Platine Rag, it does much worse than the Epson 9900 and Canon 8400. Unless Canson's own profile for the Pro 100 isn't very good. One would hope that is does better on RC papers.

Brian A

hugowolf

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 01:34:38 pm »

Epson Claria is wider than the 9900.

If by wider you mean wider gamut, then it doesn't appear to be so, at least not on the paper of choice, Canson Platine Fibre Rag 310.

Brian A

Plateau Light

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2015, 01:41:39 pm »

I don't know how you can claim that since Canson does not have profiles for the Claria printers to make a controlled comparison.

hugowolf

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2015, 10:45:35 pm »

I don't know how you can claim that since Canson does not have profiles for the Claria printers to make a controlled comparison.

Yes, you are right, a little too much projection on my behalf. When I get back into work on Monday, I could plot Claria against Pro 100 on Red River RC paper. And then look at the Pro 100 gamut on Red River's only baryta paper. It isn't direct, but I am still surprised on how poorly the dye inks of the Canon printer did.

Brian A

Plateau Light

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2015, 10:52:41 pm »

I was very surprised myself to see the gamut being so limited. My guess is that it is from the driver not allowing enough ink load. I'm not familiar with the platine fiber rag but I would assume that it is capable of a very high ink load and the desktop printer driver doesn't allow enough ink load.

hugowolf

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2015, 11:37:47 pm »

I was very surprised myself to see the gamut being so limited. My guess is that it is from the driver not allowing enough ink load. I'm not familiar with the platine fiber rag but I would assume that it is capable of a very high ink load and the desktop printer driver doesn't allow enough ink load.

It could also just be a poor profile. A sample size of one isn't good.

Brian A

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2015, 08:40:08 am »

maybe the 12 color inkset from American inkjet could come closer to what you want? They might be able to point you to a printer running their inks for a test print?
http://www.americaninkjetsystems2.com/

hugowolf

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2015, 07:56:03 pm »

The closest Red River paper to Canson Platine Fiibre Rag is  their San Gabriel Baryta. So this is a comparison of the Epson UltraChrome (9900) vs the Epson Claria Hi Def (Artisan 1430). The UltraChrome is wireframe.

The Epson Claria inks have a wider gamut than the Canon Pro 100, but has a slightly smaller gamut volume than the UltraChrome inks. It is better in some areas, but not in others.

Brian A

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2015, 08:38:55 am »

Interesting.  Brian, is your Canon Pro100 the original or a later iteration ?

The reason I ask is that my Pro100 (original) puts a lot of ink down.  But I have noticed that more recent models of A4 printers put down a lot less ink (you can tell by the wetness of the paper).  So perhaps the newer Canon’s put down less ink ?  Just wondering if this might explain the differences…

Plateau Light

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 09:37:07 am »

Brian,

It is interesting that the Claria primaries gamut exceeded the Ultrachrome gamut in these plots.
The Ultrachrome has deeper blacks and smoother intermediates but lower gamut width with more colorful darks.

Using 3d wireframe is not the best way to measure gamut width if saturation is concerned 2d works for that.
However the OP is interested in deep colors so the UC will be better.

hugowolf

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 12:35:37 pm »

Interesting.  Brian, is your Canon Pro100 the original or a later iteration ?

The reason I ask is that my Pro100 (original) puts a lot of ink down.  But I have noticed that more recent models of A4 printers put down a lot less ink (you can tell by the wetness of the paper).  So perhaps the newer Canon’s put down less ink ?  Just wondering if this might explain the differences…

These are plotted using generic profiles supplied by paper manufacturers and refactorers. They are not specific to any version of the Pro 100. But, the ink loading is not determined  by the profiles, they only deal with color tramforms.

Brian A

hugowolf

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 12:47:28 pm »

It is interesting that the Claria primaries gamut exceeded the Ultrachrome gamut in these plots.
The Ultrachrome has deeper blacks and smoother intermediates but lower gamut width with more colorful darks.
Using 3d wireframe is not the best way to measure gamut width if saturation is concerned 2d works for that.
However the OP is interested in deep colors so the UC will be better.

It is for visualization, not measurement, there are better ways of measuring using the data (ColorThink, for example).

Two-dimensional plots are only better as static snap shots, the three-dimensional plots are better when you can rotate and zoom. All the saturated colors are a the edge boundary. A three-dimensional plot will give you, for example, an idea of how well a profile will deal with transitions between saturated colors of a similar hue. If, for example, the surface doesn't form a convex hull (if it has troughs and/or craters), then there will b e places where pasteurization can occur.

ICCView is a free online 3D plotter that anyone can play with. It allows the uploading of up to two profiles. It doesn't work with version 4 profiles, only version 2.

http://www.iccview.de/

Brian A

Plateau Light

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2015, 01:33:07 pm »

Brian,

We are referring here to the saturation capacity of the Claria vs the Ultrachrome.
When comparing an inkset to another inkset the 2d plot determines which has greater saturation capacity.
The metrics with 3D plots you mention are for judging a paper & print driver profile quality. I thought the conversation was regarding the gamut potential of the 2 inksets.
The quality of the profile is not the sole characteristic of the inkset. It is the quality of the profile mapping, driver and paper.
One can make a poor quality profile with an outstanding inkset all too easily. and vice versa.

Ink limits, GCR/ UCR, multi color limits, gamut mapping settings, ink laydown order, etc all can either make or break a profile
which is where 3D plots come into play to show the quality of the PROFILE and not the ultimate measure of the inkset gamut.
Remember that the most saturated colors are not the highest inkload. The poor shadows of the Claria profile simply tell us that there is low chromatic black generation in the driver, which is unfortunate but
an ink saving technique for a desktop printer.

Granted most people are simply using the windows driver which is what most of these plots are based on and do not get every last bit of fidelity.

I don't really want to get into a tit for tat conversation but we were talking about the gamut volume of an inkset and the 3D plot confuses the subject with variables not solely attributable to the inkset.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2015, 04:42:54 pm »

To do the tests justice, you’d use the same paper for both printers, build a profile with the same software and settings and view the gamut, 3D in ColorThink. It will provide a Gamut Volume but more useful is, as hugowolf had done, in 3D, looking at all angles. Why ColorThink specifically? See: http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Color_Management_Myths_26-28#Myth_26
No idea if the product hugowolf used works the same way or not. But ideally it would.
If we have two profiles from two different manufacturers, the tests are iffy at best. 
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

narikin

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2015, 08:17:24 am »

Yes ProPhoto, but obviously my screen is just showing me an ARGB interpretation of that.

I have indeed used selective color, and did what was possible to improve it - it's a good help in fact, but still nothing like the wonderful red on screen!

This will also be reproduced as the cover of a book, the printer is testing 7 color special inks to get it as alive as they can, but obviously CMYK printing ink color space is even smaller than pigment inkjet.

Plateau Light

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2015, 09:56:19 am »

Without using a fluorescent ink there is no way to get the colors brighter than paper. I have been down this road before and spent an enormous amount of funds trying to engineer a system for a famous flower photographer only to find that he was only happy with his monitors presentation.

Knowing that it is a CMYK destination leaves less hope for a reasonable solution.
Optical brighteners help but are short lived.
Knowing that highly saturated colors are brighter, I would look to create a darker / denser image  with less gamut clipping and maintain the saturation brightness relationship with the rest of the image colors.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up