Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Errors importing Lightroom catalog  (Read 1734 times)

kholt

Errors importing Lightroom catalog
« on: March 31, 2015, 02:11:38 am »

I decided to try the trial version of Capture One 8.2 on my Macbook Pro Retina (w/ discrete GPU).  I started by importing my Lightroom library which contains about 30,000 images neatly organized into folders by year at the top level and then at a second level by shoot name, for example /Lightroom Catalog/2013/2013-03-28 Lake Tahoe/.  FWIW the catalog file is on the internal SSD and the raw images are on an external SSD RAID.

However, the folder structure did not survive the import into Capture One.  Folders sometimes appear in the correct place, other times they are "flattened" to the top level with no hierarchy.

Additionally, exposure adjustments appear to affect the thumbnail images in the film strip but not the main full size image on the display.

Not a good impression of Capture One so far.  Looks like very buggy software to say the least.

I am very happy with Lightroom and had no interest in switching but I have heard good things about Capture One raw processing and was curious to see what I might be missing.

Keith

Jimmy D Uptain

Re: Errors importing Lightroom catalog
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 07:46:24 pm »

Just use sessions. The catalog hasn't matured enough, IMHO.

kholt

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 09:46:22 pm »

I admit I don't inderstand the sessions concept that well, but am I wrong to think it doesn't fit well with an existing Lightroom library?   For now I'm just experimenting. Even if I did decide to migrate to Capture One it would be a slow migration at best (I still have stuff in Aperture three years after I switched to Lightroom).  Thus, seamless interoperability with Lightroom is almost a requirement to even consider looking at it further.

Keith

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 01:13:51 am »

Like I said, I am not a fan of the C1 catalog. Because of that, I have a LR as well as C1 catalog. When I need to find something quickly, I use the LR catalog. When I need to edit something quickly, I use C1
I do not use any folder structure though. I find LR's cataloging/key-wording sufficient for finding photos and Collections sufficient for keeping certain shoots together.
You can make C1 and LR play together nicely and keep your LR catalog function as is.
A workaround is this:
Open C1 and create a session called "default Session" or whatever you like.
Within the session library tab, navigate to system folders. Within here, you can then find your desktop or wherever you would like to keep the raw files temporarily. Create a folder and name it "C1 Conversion"
Keep the LR catalog as is. Export copies the raw files you want to massage in C1, to your "C1 Conversion" folder.
All this could be accomplished by creating a Preset in LR. In the Post Processing section of the preset choose "Open in other application". Then designate C1 as that application.
Use sessions to work on your files. Export said files as jpeg or tiffs and import those back into LR. Then delete raw copies mentioned above.
One thing I like to do is add "C1" to the naming of the converted file. That way you know it was converted using C1. Its helpful in determining which raw conversion you prefer later on.
You still keep your LR catalog in tact while being able to use C1's conversion.
This is how I did it for a long time and was OK with it.
I'm finding that having both softwares is a good thing. There are some files that are better suited for one or the other.
C1 does not do well with noisy images in my experience. LR tends to do better. Also My D800E files are a little to orange for my liking and is a pain to get right. (This may have changed with the new color controls)

Pages: [1]   Go Up