Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Death Valley locations - middle of the day  (Read 1477 times)

davidkay

Death Valley locations - middle of the day
« on: March 30, 2015, 12:57:35 pm »

Hello all. Heading to DV and have a good list of the great sunrise and sunset locations. Just wondering what recommendations you have for the middle of the day locations? Thanks very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Death Valley locations - middle of the day
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 05:23:24 pm »

Use the middle of the day to scout and also find the little details. It's also a peaceful time to simply vegetate, listen to the silence (if you are away from the crowds), enjoy the peacefulness.

If there's still a bloom you may find some color with which to work. You'll most likely find the flowers on the upper alluvials if you are lucky. With good craft using flash, reflectors and gobos, you can shoot them any time of day.

Travel into the canyons, such as Titus and Natural Bridge. There you may find opportunity for details and coolness during the mid day. That said, the flat light of the day can be pretty sublime and to do it justice takes good vision.

In any case, don't simply let the light slide. There a lot of Death Valley and not enough daylight to see it all at the shoulders of the day!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

rpsphoto

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 10:36:00 pm »

You can also check out some of the canyons. Be sure to find out road conditions for any off pavement travel and if you hike into a canyon keep a very close eye on the weather.  I was there last year for the first two weeks of March. It was my first trip to DV and I will go back. Have a great trip.
Best regards,
 Bob CEO, CFO, EIEIO, Ret.

Roman Racela

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 08:43:39 pm »

I use middle of the day to sleep and scout. There's nothing good to shoot in DV when the sun is high. :)

francois

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 02:48:17 am »

Depending on the season, middle of the day is way too hot to do anything…
Francois

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 12:26:15 pm »

Artists Paintbrush wouldn't be horrible, you could hit Zabriskie point, it's still pretty nice during the day, also pull over at water sources for an opportunity to catch some wildlife.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up