Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

Sharper Macro than Canon 5d2 and 100mm Macro?

(1/13) > >>

smahn:
I could use help in researching a replacement for this combo. I'm not doing true 1:1 macro, more like 1:4, with studio flash and a tripod. So high ISO, image stabilization, and burst rate are of little value to this application.

I don't want to move up to medium format, so FF or mirrorless. No AA filter. 16MP and up is fine. But I want to consider the chip/lens combo.

I get pretty good results with the current combo but it takes a lot of PP to get there. I'm always straddling between "sharp  enough" and artifacts. Most Raw processors default sharpening positions don't come close. And I don't think it's a bad lens, I get similar results with a Nikon 105 micro.

So I know about the Nikon 810, I've got my eye on that. If I go that direction what lens would I pair with it? And are there mirrorless options I should consider? I'm not opposed to spending less.  ;)

Thanks

Hans Kruse:
You don't say which Canon 100mm macro as there are two: The old one and the new with IS.

smahn:
The non IS.

Hans Kruse:
At least you should try the IS version as it is better optically. Known as a very very good lens http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_100_2p8_is_usm_c16/6

pegelli:
Two legendary macro lenses I've see are the Voigtlander APO lanthar 125 mm / f2.5 and the Minolta APO Macro 200 mm / f4.
They're both renowned for their sharpness as well as pleasant rendering of the out of focus area.
Sharpness isn't everything to achieve a pleasing picture.

Both would be easily mounted on the 36 MP Sony a7R

But it would mean buying into a completely new system, unless you can find the Voigtlander lens for the Canon mount (don't know if they ever produced it with that mount)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version