Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting post on "that other board..."  (Read 9737 times)

Tim Lookingbill

Re: Interesting post on "that other board..."
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 04:44:28 pm »

OK, I had to enter in a Google search exactly "Sigma SD14 Raw downloads" and scroll down a couple of pages to get this obscurely named review...

http://www.polas.net/sigma/sd14/d200/sd14_vs_d200.php

I downloaded the SD14 .X3F Raw and opened in ACR 6.7 and my suspicions have been confirmed. The color sucks especially for a sensor design that supposedly offers an edge over others. Also confirmed by SD14 user's online statements inaccurately describing its poor AF which on closer inspection of the Raw has more to do with what appears to be demosaicing errors where objects have a vector like hard surrounding edge with soft internal detail (that's weird). Another issue is there's no camera profile selection in Camera Calibration panel, just lists "Embedded".

Reading that week old dpreview confessional I didn't even know that model came out the same time as my Pentax K100D in 2006 which I paid around $550 back then. I thought the SD14 was a recent model.

This explains further why the ranter had hard time letting it go, way too much history defending it for so long?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:52:25 pm by Tim Lookingbill »

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 04:47:05 pm »

OK, I had to enter in a Google search exactly "Sigma SD14 Raw downloads" and scroll down a couple of pages to get this obscurely named review...
That's the way to go.

This explains further why the ranter had hard time letting it go, way too much history defending it for so long?

That's probably the case.
When I grow up I want to be a photographer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diegopig/

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 04:54:43 pm »

I'm placing my correction on the sharpness appearance on a new posting...

Correction...That particular site's review had the image over exposed which gave the impression of softness. I had to reduce exposure -1.50 in ACR and the sharpness looks really good.

But still it's color is not what I'ld call a stellar performance.

I didn't know kiwi fruit could be orange brown instead of the green I'm accustomed to seeing in the super market.

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 04:55:42 pm »

I didn't know kiwi fruit could be orange brown instead of the green I'm accustomed to seeing in the super market.
Now you know!  ;D ;D

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 06:12:28 pm »

Just tried out the SPP for Mac OS and what a surprise. I have to say it's probably the best OEM Raw converter I've encountered regarding redraw preview/zoom speed, navigation and simplicity. I don't even use my Pentax's SilkyPix converter because it's too much a PITA and slow.

The Color Adjustment panel acts like a more intuitive white balance adjust being able to drag a tint selection around to get the right green/magenta balance for proper sunlight appearance which might explain the god awful color of jpeg renderings I've been seeing online. It's really tough getting the right tint of warmth on sunlit aged/faded wood and not screw up color constancy.

So I'm inclined to agree that the converter and user experience may be the defining factor on the final results.

I can sense from the behavior of the previews twiddling around with the sliders the folks who designed SPPv5 know their shit! They just didn't provided enough tools to refine the results or at least they don't make it easy hunting around for it in the GUI.

It was interesting to look back at old software I'ld never even considered before I bought my Pentax.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 06:13:59 pm by Tim Lookingbill »

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 03:51:18 am »

You should try DarkTable (expecially the equalizer tool, it's quite cool)

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 05:14:53 am »

I've been photographing for some 60 years, and I think it was about 40 years ago I first noticed that every single time that I had "upgraded" my camera to a more modern and "sophisticated" one, the quality of my seeing took a significant hit, until I relearned what was important to me.

I still frequently feel the lust for the newest and greatest, but the camera that behaves like a well-worn old shoe gives me the best results.

I may sometimes forget my great-grandchildrens' names, but I still clearly remember my very first camera upgrades: first from a double-stroke Leica M3 to single-stroke, a good upgrade, then to a post-1000000 serial-number M3, another good upgrade because some essential springs had been strengthened, and then to an M4, to me the best of the Leica Ms.  Sure, I tried the M6 and the M7, but Leica was then into fiddling with the finders and adding TTL, etc, and somehow, the cameras were lesser choices, and as this poster suggests, the changes intruded upon my  shooting.  Of course, when digital came along, it was as though I had never held a camera before.  Everything had to be relearned, but nothing since has given me the authority  of my shooting as did those early Leicas.  Would I go back to them and film? No, digital effectively burned those bridges for me, but in those melancholic moments of nostalgia, in a dark and smokey bar over a long-necked beer, I wonder....

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 02:15:57 pm »

Sure, I tried the M6 and the M7, but Leica was then into fiddling with the finders and adding TTL, etc, and somehow, the cameras were lesser choices, and as this poster suggests, the changes intruded upon my  shooting.  Of course, when digital came along, it was as though I had never held a camera before.  Everything had to be relearned, but nothing since has given me the authority  of my shooting as did those early Leicas.

Experienced something similar where my 2006 Pentax K100D started malfunctioning and looked into upgrading to a newer camera over just buying a used K100D.

I was remembering a frustrating experience I had trying to help a muralist photograph her works where she was asking me tips on how to adjust WB with her Sony P&S. Rummaging around in the Sony's unintuitive menu system trying to find the custom WB selection felt like I never held a camera before.

She assumed I was knowledgeable from watching me shoot nearby with a long range lens attached to my DSLR. I was so unfamiliar with another camera's menu system since I'ld become accustomed to my DSLR which at the time it was new seemed unintuitive as well requiring a long sit down read of its user's guide that I was forced to hand back the Sony and told her I couldn't help her.

So I bought a used Pentax K100D which ended up only having around 5000 shutter actuations.

I just wish I could find a really good side by side comparison of improved image quality between two camera systems, one from 2006 vs an equivalently priced 2015 model just to see if there have been big improvements.

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 02:26:06 pm »

I just wish I could find a really good side by side comparison of improved image quality between two camera systems, one from 2006 vs an equivalently priced 2015 model just to see if there have been big improvements.
Does not dpreview satisfies this requirement?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 02:39:35 pm »

Hi,

I was shooting on Iceland in 2006 and I want to go back in 2016. Part is that is that my 2006 images don't event hold a candle to the images I make today. In 2006 I was shooting my first 6MP DSLR. Now I have a better sensor having a better resolution, better lenses and a photographer behind the camera with a lot more experience.

Normally I print at A2, around 16x23". At that size it is clearly beneficial having 12-24MP. When I print larger 39 MP may also be welcome.

That said, good 6MP images from 2006 are better than boring 24MP images from today…

Best regards
Erik

Does not dpreview satisfies this requirement?
Erik Kaffehr

Telecaster

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 03:10:12 pm »

Looking through my own RAW archives (I periodically wipe processed TIFs & JPEGs) I find the early-to-mid 2000s stuff holds up well. Regardless of gear the good photos are still good and the dogs are still dogs.  ;)  Dynamic range is certainly better with newer models, but I honestly don't find it to be a big deal. Like many folks I used transparency film for most of my pre-electronic color pic taking, and even the early D-SLRs were a step up DR-wise from Kodachrome, Provia, etc. You can do a lot with 5–6 stops when you know how to use 'em. For electronic display, which is mostly how I view photos these days, even 6mp is currently enough. And I expect 6mp will look fine via up-resing on higher density displays too. What I prefer about current cameras has more to do with focusing capabilities, both auto and manual (!), than image quality.

-Dave-

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 03:14:12 pm »

Hi,

I mostly consider printed stuff and I absolutely find the resolution advantage significant.

But, the very major development is that i have spent a couple of thousands hours in taking pictures, learning from mistakes and getting inspiration from places like LuLa.

Best regards
Erik

Looking through my own RAW archives (I periodically wipe processed TIFs & JPEGs) I find the early-to-mid 2000s stuff holds up well. Regardless of gear the good photos are still good and the dogs are still dogs.  ;)  Dynamic range is certainly better with newer models, but I honestly don't find it to be a big deal. Like many folks I used transparency film for most of my pre-electronic color pic taking, and even the early D-SLRs were a step up DR-wise from Kodachrome, Provia, etc. You can do a lot with 5–6 stops when you know how to use 'em. For electronic display, which is mostly how I view photos these days, even 6mp is currently enough. And I expect 6mp will look fine via up-resing on higher density displays too. What I prefer about current cameras has more to do with focusing capabilities, both auto and manual (!), than image quality.

-Dave-
Erik Kaffehr

Jimbo57

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 03:37:44 pm »

"Interesting post on "that other board..."

Define "interesting".

Rand47

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2015, 06:03:33 pm »

"Interesting post on "that other board..."

Define "interesting".

in·ter·est·ing\ˈin-t(ə-)rəs-tiŋ; ˈin-tə-ˌres-, ˈin-ˌtres-; ˈin-tərs-\
adjective
: attracting your attention and making you want to learn more about something or to be involved in something : not dull or boring
Full Definition
: holding the attention : arousing interest

;D
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up