Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extreme watersports  (Read 3198 times)

stamper

Re: Extreme watersports
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 02:24:33 pm »

Slobodan has a point about the PP of the faces. Just a thought: since the kid's face seems blurry/featureless, why not substitute another for it. Of course, I am not a purist or a journalist. I sometimes think all is fair in love and art.

Anyone who has any knowledge of using ND filters will know that certain parts of an image will be blurred. This image has an exposure of several seconds. I was very surprised that any of the features were in any way sharp never mind totally blurred. Light areas in an image tend to become lighter when the exposure is increased. Up until Slobodan's post everyone seemed happy with the image now that he has decided tp forensically analyse it they somehow don't feel too happy about it? Never mind I'm relaxed about it because Slobodan's motives or quite obvious...at least to me?

stamper

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2015, 02:30:54 pm »

Cropping

This is how my eye scans the image, even at the thumbnail size. In other words, it starts in the lower left, where we naturally (in the western world) start, then follows the highlights and quickly rushes to the top (bypassing the anglers), where there is nothing to stop it, and leaves the image way too fast. The strong vertical, repeated presence of bridge pillars serves as the pointer for the eye. With nothing above it to stop it, the eye leaves the image. Cropping to the black horizontal line would stop it.

Leaving the top in gives a sense of what the scene was that the anglers were inhabiting.

As to....we naturally (in the western world).... then that wasn't always the case and possibly you haven't quite adapted to it. :(

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2015, 02:36:46 pm »

Russ your earlier post.

Great street, Stamper. Takes a moment to see what's going on.

You are now appearing to contradict yourself?

I don't think so. Slobodan has a point. The details above the horizontal line are a bit distracting, and without them it doesn't take so long to figure out what's going on.

With or without the crop it's a fine shot. With the crop it might be even finer. I'm tempted to pull it off the web and try it myself.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2015, 02:51:05 pm »

Russ your earlier post.

Great street, Stamper. Takes a moment to see what's going on.

You are now appearing to contradict yourself?

No, no contradiction there. It does take a moment precisely for the reasons I explained in the cropping comment. Quick glance at the image results in an eye path that does not detect any correlation to the title. The eye has left the image without noticing "what's going on." Only then the viewer starts asking the question: "Wait, where is anything that has to do with watersports? Let me then go back and look into the image more carefully." That is why it "takes a moment."
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:58:44 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 02:55:02 pm »

Guilty of over analysing an image Slobodan.

Not really... it takes a second of glancing at the thumbnail (for a trained eye) to intuitively grasp the need for cropping. The analytical part comes only when the brain tries to find a rational explanation for the initial hunch.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 03:00:07 pm »

... As to....we naturally (in the western world).... then that wasn't always the case and possibly you haven't quite adapted to it. :(

Wait, is that a cheap shot at my national origin? Are you trying to suggest that i do not (fully) belong to the western world?

For you information, "western world" in this context (i.e., reading from left to right) includes most of the world, excluding some Far East and Middle East areas. In that sense, Eastern Europe is a part of the western world.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:57:59 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2015, 03:06:03 pm »

... because Slobodan's motives or quite obvious...at least to me?

Stamper, my motives are to help you, as a fellow photographer. And I will continue to do so in spite your grumpy reactions. My view has always been that one negative critique could be more valuable than 10 empty accolades, if taken properly.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 04:40:32 pm »

Guilty of over analysing an image Slobodan.
Or maybe he has a point. I'd also crop the top section above the graffiti and the picture seems off to me processing wise too. It seems both too contrasty at top and a bit too flat at bottom.
But although I like the idea of the photo, the blurred face of the boy is a bit creepy. It looks like he's been censored out or that maybe he's a character from Dr Who.  ;)
I'd also have added some extra space to right of shot, so railway pillar isn't abutting edge - if that was even an option for you to do.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 04:46:02 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

stamper

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2015, 05:45:33 am »

No, no contradiction there. It does take a moment precisely for the reasons I explained in the cropping comment. Quick glance at the image results in an eye path that does not detect any correlation to the title. The eye has left the image without noticing "what's going on." Only then the viewer starts asking the question: "Wait, where is anything that has to do with watersports? Let me then go back and look into the image more carefully." That is why it "takes a moment."

The title was an attempt at humour and wasn't meant to be taken seriously. A lot photographers don't give their images a title so the thrust of your argument is rather pointless?

stamper

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2015, 05:56:41 am »

Wait, is that a cheap shot at my national origin? Are you trying to suggest that i do not (fully) belong to the western world?

For you information, "western world" in this context (i.e., reading from left to right) includes most of the world, excluding some Far East and Middle East areas. In that sense, Eastern Europe is a part of the western world.

Your statement about the western world imo was akin to preaching rather than being informative. An experienced photographer is well aware of the reading from left to right is how the eyes see an image. You state you wanted to help but I think you look as is you are giving lessons rather than critique or being helpful? Downloading the image and sticking red arrows on it to try and prove a point isn't helpful. You obviously "see" a lot more in an image than myself and I suspect others "see" less than you. My liking for an image is instinctive and I think I am more forgiving of small deficiencies in an image than you?

stamper

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2015, 06:00:38 am »

I don't think so. Slobodan has a point. The details above the horizontal line are a bit distracting, and without them it doesn't take so long to figure out what's going on.

With or without the crop it's a fine shot. With the crop it might be even finer. I'm tempted to pull it off the web and try it myself.

I am now inclined to not cropping because the framing as it is sets the scene for the hazardous position that they are in. However I understand why someone would suggest a crop.

stamper

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2015, 06:06:43 am »

Or maybe he has a point. I'd also crop the top section above the graffiti and the picture seems off to me processing wise too. It seems both too contrasty at top and a bit too flat at bottom.
But although I like the idea of the photo, the blurred face of the boy is a bit creepy. It looks like he's been censored out or that maybe he's a character from Dr Who.  ;)
I'd also have added some extra space to right of shot, so railway pillar isn't abutting edge - if that was even an option for you to do.

It is a while since I took the shot but if my ageing memory is functioning properly then there is clutter on both sides that I probably cropped out. As I stated earlier the blurring of the face was because of the ND filter. The problem in this type of shot is the blurring can work on some parts of the image and not on others. I fully expected that someone would suggest cloning the fishing line that shows signs of blurring

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2015, 07:03:29 am »

All nitpicking aside, it's still a fine shot.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

stamper

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2015, 07:37:24 am »

Thanks for all of the positive feedback.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up