Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica delays S-007?  (Read 24744 times)

Theodoros

Leica delays S-007?
« on: March 26, 2015, 05:07:54 pm »

Leica has moved the production of S-007 for the second quarter of 2015.... http://us.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/About-Leica-News/Global/The-New-Camera-System-Leica-S-Type-007. This can be up to three months later than the announcement on September 2014... What you think the reasons are? Where there any preorders filed? Is there a compensation for preorders?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 04:25:26 am by Theodoros »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Leica delays S-007
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 05:15:37 pm »

Hi,

I would think of two possibilities:

- Sensor production may be late for different reasons
- It may take longer than expected to make in camera firmware to work with the sensor

Best regards
Erik

Leica has moved the production of S-007 for the second quarter of 2015.... http://us.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/About-Leica-News/Global/The-New-Camera-System-Leica-S-Type-007. This can be up to three months later than the announcement on September 2014... What you think the reasons are? Where there any preorders filed? Is there a compensation for preorders?
Erik Kaffehr

Theodoros

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 05:23:33 pm »

Hi,

I would think of two possibilities:

- Sensor production may be late for different reasons
- It may take longer than expected to make in camera firmware to work with the sensor

Best regards
Erik

...or both.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 05:35:27 pm »

The validation test matrix of such cameras with completely new sub-systems is astonishingly complex and some of it depends on the actual manufacturing.

Just think of the flare issue with the D750 resulting of a slight misplacement of some parts in the mirrorbox. And consider that some 1Dx samples were found then to suffer from the same issue to an even worse degree although few people had raised the issue openly.

No insider info on the new S, but the odds of coming accross some issues late in the process (in actual field testing of near final prototypes) is significant.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 06:59:15 pm by BernardLanguillier »

erlingmm

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 05:58:14 pm »

What is the news here? I thought is was scheduled for Q2 2015 since launch? I don't see any change in the note that you link to?

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 07:54:49 pm »

Hmm, every article I can find from the initial announcement including Leica's Press Release last September all say Q2 2015!  So it seems that would mean it is on schedule.

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 08:19:00 pm »

Google is your friend....

"The launch of the Leica S (Type 007) is planned for spring 2015"

- from a press release at Photokina Sept 16 ,2014

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/leica-s--typ-007--and-s-e-announced-at-photokina-26192
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 08:26:42 pm »

Because making a high-end digital camera that works is very, very hard.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

tjv

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 01:51:03 am »

Because considering the relative specifications and cost of the system, any glaring production or firmware errors would be disasterous for the S system and Leica's reputation. It's the same for all these systems that cater for such a small niche market, be it Hasselblad, Leaf or Phase. And lets not forget about the M8 debacle – my personal experience with that ruined my trust of the the Leica brand and it took a long time for me to look fondly at them again. I hope that they get it right, as the 007 has some compelling features, even if price certainly isn't one of them.

peterv

• facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 03:04:41 am »

OMG, the usual suspect(s) creating FUD.

The new S has always been scheduled for second quarter of 2015, from the announcement at PK '14.

Theodorius, I suggest you be a man about it, admit your mistake and change the thread-title.

Theodoros

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 04:57:18 am »

OMG, the usual suspect(s) creating FUD.

The new S has always been scheduled for second quarter of 2015, from the announcement at PK '14.

Theodoros, I suggest you be a man about it, admit your mistake and change the thread-title.

If you didn't notice we ARE on spring 2015 for a week now.... It is usual practice from manufacturers to have preproduction samples available for testing and reviewing before regular production and availability on the stores starts.

Still, you completely misunderstood my approach. IMO, Leica can't afford to have a product that is second to none and I'm sure this Leica will aim to make a clear performance advantage  on all different aspects of photography than the obvious competition that has dominated MF discussions during the past year and is based on Sony's CMOS sensor.

IMO, the choice of 6 microns pixel pitch on the new sensor, suggests that Leica is not only after a great sensor/processor to use on the (superb body) S-007, but they are designing a new larger sensor base, that will be integrated with larger resolution/image area on to the Sinarbacks, S-007's version will be a cropped version of it and the same sensor will be cropped down to 24x36mm/24mp size for use on the M-series...

My impression is that there is a delay (Leica's people in Photokina where saying that the camera would be available at late March), but this isn't due to "problems" they are facing, it is rather to maximize the camera to every different aspect of performance... That said, I expect a new series of Sinarbacks (based on 6-micron CMOS sensor) announced after the S-007 will start its market career.

Theodoros

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 05:50:10 am »

I hope that they get it right, as the 007 has some compelling features, even if price certainly isn't one of them.

I wonder why many people complain on the price... It is a lot of money alright, but given that it is priced much less than any direct competition for camera + MFDB (for same size sensor)... and given that one can have a great range of additional fully dedicated lenses on it of superb performance that are both widely available and attractively priced via an adapter that Leica makes, the price seems more than reasonable, especially if one considers that it bares the red dot on it and its video specs.

Atina

Re: Leica delays S-007?
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 06:14:19 am »

Don't know anything about the s 007, don't know if many do, except Leica.

But these posts don't inform they just confuse and take value away from a forum that had so much potential to inform, rather than just harm a brand.

I do know about the first S, the S2 and just finished using it for a weeks project, tethered, with flash, and mixed light and available light and zero issues, extreme stable tethering using Leica Image Shuttle and Lightroom.

I don't sell cameras, I use them, but the S2  for our work performs in a simple elegant fashion, beautifully constructed  and we have had zero issues while producing "in my view" gorgeous files and beautiful skin tones.

I would imagine the S is better and hope the 007 continues the theme.

This section of the forum has become so strange and I don't get it.   I can understand if someone has a valid issue and wants to warn someone,but most of the other stuff here I just pass over.

I started to read that thread that Cheik was kind enough to show the Hasselblad file and the new Canon and as usual it moved off topic, all the way down to comparing the Pentax to the a 35mm camera, I don't know whch brand because I didn't pay much attention after that.

What I don't understand about any of this is until you use a camera in your style or workflow how anyone can comment, especially in the negative.

Before I bought my first RED 1, I read time and time again how unreliable the REDs are, how they were overpriced, not ready for serious work, etc. etc., but have lugged 2 R1's and one Scarlet around the world twice on many multiple projects and have NEVER had an issue.

The same with my S-2.  If I believed in current forum talk it would be too slow, too expensive, have slow focusing, not enough megapixels, etc. etc. etc., but I've found the 100% exact opposite using it in serious production where every minute on set is expensive, pressure filled and important.

IMO

BC

P.S.   In reading what I wrote I guess I didn't add anything to the forum either, so maybe it's contagious.

from an old leica m8, which I still use.

Be honest, how many times have you written this exact same post over the years?  ;D It starts with Leica pimping, usually about a shoot where the camera was tethered and everything worked great, and ends with REDs and an example file from Leica S.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 10:41:07 am »

The MF forum on Lula used to be a gathering place for knowledgeable pros and serious amateurs to discuss real issues are MF photography. Now it's mostly the same people, having the same tedious conversation with themselves, over and over and over.  It drives out the high-value people and diminishes the value to the general readership.

The 'S3' aka 007 will come out when it comes out.  In the meantime, like my girl Taylor says, the pros are gonna shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot, and the wankers gonna wank wank wank wank wank and I'm just gonna shake shake shake shake shake.... 
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Chris Livsey

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 11:05:53 am »

from an old leica m8, which I still use.

What firmware version is that  ;D Mine doesn't take shots like that  ???  Obviously it's the firmware  ::) ::)

rsmphoto

• http://www.rsmphoto.com
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 11:41:52 am »

The MF forum on Lula used to be a gathering place for knowledgeable pros and serious amateurs to discuss real issues are MF photography. Now it's mostly the same people, having the same tedious conversation with themselves, over and over and over.  It drives out the high-value people and diminishes the value to the general readership.

The 'S3' aka 007 will come out when it comes out.  In the meantime, like my girl Taylor says, the pros are gonna shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot, and the wankers gonna wank wank wank wank wank and I'm just gonna shake shake shake shake shake.... 

Indeed. Hypothesis, postulation and statements of authority seem to appear frequently, but all too often with no real information - more, ephemera.  But like a reality show, it can make for a bit of entertainment when the inevitable offense is taken, or offered. ;)

Shooting'...... and shakin' here.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 12:08:16 pm »

What firmware version is that  ;D Mine doesn't take shots like that  ???  Obviously it's the firmware  ::) ::)

I'm disappointed Chris. Surely you know better, and that it's the red dot ... ;)

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Chris Livsey

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 02:54:42 pm »

I'm disappointed Chris. Surely you know better, and that it's the red dot ... ;)

Cheers,
Bart

Can't be, I've got it taped up  ;D

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 03:02:56 pm »

Can't be, I've got it taped up  ;D

That just enhances its powers...

Jim

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 06:31:16 pm »

If you didn't notice we ARE on spring 2015 for a week now.... It is usual practice from manufacturers to have preproduction samples available for testing and reviewing before regular production and availability on the stores starts.

Spring doesn't end until June 21!  Q2 doesn't end until June 31!  So fears of a delay are premature!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up