Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica delays S-007?  (Read 24756 times)

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Leica delays S-007
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 10:52:03 pm »

Spring doesn't end until June 21!  Q2 doesn't end until June 31!  So fears of a delay are premature!

June 31? Then we have a lot of time left.

Jim

BAB

Re: Leica delays S-007?
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2015, 12:24:07 am »

Might be a coding issue, issues with thE video portion....or they may surprise all of us and actually produce a camera with a 2015 sensor with 2015 capabilities.
But my guess it is related to third party issues that leica wants fixed before they release the new S, which IMHO is a more likely reality!

Fingers crossed.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Ken R

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2015, 06:24:04 am »

The MF forum on Lula used to be a gathering place for knowledgeable pros and serious amateurs to discuss real issues are MF photography. Now it's mostly the same people, having the same tedious conversation with themselves, over and over and over.  It drives out the high-value people and diminishes the value to the general readership.

The 'S3' aka 007 will come out when it comes out.  In the meantime, like my girl Taylor says, the pros are gonna shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot, and the wankers gonna wank wank wank wank wank and I'm just gonna shake shake shake shake shake.... 

Well said. This pretty much sums it up. It's a shame.

I for one am tired of seeing the same people have the same discussions over and over. It's pretty pathetic. Between the lines some good info is being said but its being lost in all the squabbles.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2015, 07:00:30 am »

The MF forum on Lula used to be a gathering place for knowledgeable pros and serious amateurs to discuss real issues are MF photography. Now it's mostly the same people, having the same tedious conversation with themselves, over and over and over.  It drives out the high-value people and diminishes the value to the general readership.

The 'S3' aka 007 will come out when it comes out.  In the meantime, like my girl Taylor says, the pros are gonna shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot, and the wankers gonna wank wank wank wank wank and I'm just gonna shake shake shake shake shake.... 

I agree. But the sad truth is : All known forums as changed.
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Leica delays S-007
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 08:04:34 am »

June 31? Then we have a lot of time left.

Jim
LOL, I knew when I was typing it that I should have counted it out on my knuckles - June 30 of course  ;D

peterv

• facebook
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 09:07:48 am »

I see that the OP has followed my advice - sort of - and has quietly changed the thread-title by adding a question mark. Well, it's a start.

Still, this thread is flawed and completely unnecessary since quarter 2 starts on april first and lasts until the 30th of june. After that, we'll see if the new S will be delayed or not. All this attention-seeking/stirring the pot just to hammer the same ideas over and over again is hurting this forum, I agree.

Kolor-Pikker

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2015, 09:32:13 am »

Unless one is already heavily invested in, or just really likes the S lenses, is there any reason to be excited about this camera anymore?
Gonna play devil's advocate for a moment here, but the 645Z:
- is just as weather sealed
- actually has tethering now
- has higher resolution, proven dynamic range and noise qualities
- 4:3 aspect ratio
- tilt screen, 16x magnification
- almost as many shots per second
- batteries same as all Pentax cameras
- is 2.88x less expensive
- you can go out and buy or rent it right now

Both use Lightroom, so no difference on the software front. I'm sure I've missed a few less-important bullet points, but why would you pay almost three times the price for less features? I'm sure the S glass is amazing, but then you pay out the nose for those too, and you do also lose the adaptability of other system lenses, but is that privilege really worth 25k? Video is of course irrelevant on a camera like this.

Back when the choice was between 40mp CCD sensor cameras, like the 645D, S 006 and IQ140, I saw the Leica offering as a more compelling offer than the 645D, even with it's price premium.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:36:00 am by Kolor-Pikker »

Ken R

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2015, 10:25:05 am »

Unless one is already heavily invested in, or just really likes the S lenses, is there any reason to be excited about this camera anymore?

Both use Lightroom, so no difference on the software front. I'm sure I've missed a few less-important bullet points, but why would you pay almost three times the price for less features? I'm sure the S glass is amazing, but then you pay out the nose for those too, and you do also lose the adaptability of other system lenses, but is that privilege really worth 25k? Video is of course irrelevant on a camera like this.

Back when the choice was between 40mp CCD sensor cameras, like the 645D, S 006 and IQ140, I saw the Leica offering as a more compelling offer than the 645D, even with it's price premium.

The 645z is not sexy, the Leica S is.  ;D

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2015, 12:24:29 pm »

The 645z is not sexy, the Leica S is.  ;D

Yeah, I have to agree.  Money-no-object, I'd be all over it. Gorgeous tool.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

bcooter

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2015, 01:18:32 pm »

You buy one of these as an elective, something you want to use and I'll agree that the Pentax for the price is pretty cool, though there is a difference between the way the cameras feel in hand. 

I've never held or seen a 645Z though tested the 645d and obviously the Leica S2.

I liked the Pentax but there is just a difference that is hard to quantify and at the time the 645d didn't tether well, but if it had, I still would have bought the Leica.

Sorry for the cliche, but to me the difference is Japanese efficiency vs. German craftsmanship or something like that.

There is probably no logical reason for either the Leica or the Pentax.  Clients won't ask for the resolution, most won't know if there is any difference on set than a Nikon or a Canon and obviously what's in front of the lens is definitely more important than the camera.•

The real difference between the two is the lenses and not just leica glass.    With the Pentax the newer glass is not necessarily cheap, or you have to search out a lot of used glass (and usually test them) to get where you want to be.

The Leica allows full functionality with Contax, Hasselblad H series and two versions of Leica glass, so with the H series and the Leica CS lenses you can have a central shutter or not, either economically or at nose bleed prices . . . your choice.

Though when it comes to price, neither are cheap, but then again different usually comes with a premium price in any product.

•The only still cameras we use that clients seem to notice is my older contax and phase backs, especially with a waist level finder.  Honestly the last session I shot with the Contax the clients at first asked if I was shooting film.

It is interesting that either due to the form factor, maybe it's just my mindset, but with my Contax I tend to shot more static, with the Leica more fluid, though the final quality of the file from my p30 to the S-2 is virtually identical.

Both are ccd's and not to start a chart/dxo/moire crop war, I like the look of the ccd cameras I own better than the cmos cameras, so whenever the the 007 comes out, I'll probably be one of the last people to try it.

IMO

BC

telyt

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2015, 02:12:11 pm »

I'm sure the S glass is amazing, but then you pay out the nose for those too, and you do also lose the adaptability of other system lenses

Leica makes several adapters to use lenses from other medium-format systems on the S cameras.  The Hasselblad H and Contax 645 adapters allow full control of aperture, AF, and central ("leaf") shutters, where applicable, on S cameras.

Atina

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2015, 02:12:30 pm »

What will happen to this camera once Phase One's 120 MP digital back comes out?

How much will that one cost?

Is it scheduled for this year?

Theodoros

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2015, 02:17:46 pm »

What will happen to this camera once Phase One's 120 MP digital back comes out?

How much will that one cost?

Is it scheduled for this year?

Buddy, I'm sure Phase One will look for 500mp as to improve on image quality... I'm also sure (and hope) that Leica will never will...  ;)

Atina

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2015, 03:06:45 pm »

Are you sure or do you hope or are you kidding yourself?

tjv

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 12:15:53 am »

Ah, the mytical 120 mpx back. Do you think they'll release that with the new Phase One body?  :o
Maybe... But I'll believe it when I see it. In the mean time, the Leica S is a lovely system for those that don't consider mpx everything.

Atina

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2015, 06:24:01 am »

Ah, the mytical 120 mpx back.

;D Voidshatter isn't saying anything about it being mythical.

Do you think they'll release that with the new Phase One body?  :o

Who cares? :D

Maybe... But I'll believe it when I see it. In the mean time, the Leica S is a lovely system for those that don't consider mpx everything.

So you do believe the myth, after all?  ;D

I am so intrigued about how this camera will fare, with its monstrous price tag and obsolete features.

I'm still waiting for people, such as Theodoros and bcooter, to explain themselves about why they will buy this camera, and not with some romantic, vague, and impressionistic reasons, but something a lot more palpable.

ynp

• http://
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2015, 11:45:17 am »

;D Voidshatter isn't saying anything about it being mythical.

Who cares?
I'm still waiting for people, such as Theodoros and bcooter, to explain themselves about why they will buy this camera, and not with some romantic, vague, and impressionistic reasons, but something a lot more palpable.

Maybe, because of the lenses, the compact and solid body and because I would use both the leaf and focal plane shutter. ???

Maybe because I don't need the 10000 megabytes output for those humans I would be shooting with the camera ???

Maybe because I have a view camera and digiback if I decide to shoot a landscape or need the movements. ???

Maybe because I don't feel restricted by the older technology.
Maybe you are right and I am just a romantic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Theodoros

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2015, 12:02:04 pm »

It has been explained to you many times... but it seems difficult for you to understand.

1. It is really cheap, it costs much less than any P1/M645+back or H5-50...
2. It replaces and improves further all needs for a FF DSLR...  for size, flexibility, low light performance or use.
3. It becomes even cheaper if one sells all his DSLR system...
4. I (and many others) already own the lenses from 35mm up to 210+extender=300mm...
5. I expect its image quality to exceed anything in the market
6. I (and many others) don't care about pixel count... In fact prefer the resolution as is and find it more than plenty.

So please.... don't ask again for things that have been explained already.

Atina

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 12:44:42 pm »

It has been explained to you many times... but it seems difficult for you to understand.

1. It is really cheap, it costs much less than any P1/M645+back or H5-50...
2. It replaces and improves further all needs for a FF DSLR...  for size, flexibility, low light performance or use.
3. It becomes even cheaper if one sells all his DSLR system...
4. I (and many others) already own the lenses from 35mm up to 210+extender=300mm...
5. I expect its image quality to exceed anything in the market
6. I (and many others) don't care about pixel count... In fact prefer the resolution as is and find it more than plenty.

So please.... don't ask again for things that have been explained already.

You will be held accountable once this camera sees the light of day. I stumbled upon one of your posts from a few months ago with some wild and inaccurate predictions, that should have been reality by now, but which aren't, so I'm waiting to see what happens with this.

Thankfully there are contributors such as bcooter who have the balls to post real name valued opinion and images.

At the other end of the spectrum are the spineless gobshites hiding behind pseudonyms who contribute nothing.

Do tell.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:47:04 pm by Atina »

Theodoros

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2015, 02:27:56 pm »

Ι'm sure for some, the closest they'll ever be to 007... will be when they order vodka-martini (shaken not stirred) at the nearest pub.  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up