Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wedding Photos  (Read 3950 times)

davaglo

Wedding Photos
« on: January 22, 2006, 03:58:49 pm »

I need your expert help. I shoot a Cannon 20D and I have two lenses, the 17-40 F4 L and the 70-200 F2.8 IS L. My son is getting married and I would like to take photos at the wedding, I'm not the photographer. I'm only going to take one lens, which one should I take to be most effective?
Thanks for your reply and help.
Jerry
jrg

Hank

Wedding Photos
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 04:26:39 pm »

No hesitation for me.  I'd go for the 17-40 because it's smaller and more versatile in crowds.  If you are shy or willing to stand back you might do fine with the 70-200, but it will be a tank to lug around all day long.  You're part of the wedding party, and a big, heavy lens will eventually turn into an anchor as the day and evening stretch.

I'd be tempted to add a strobe to the 17-40, but be aware that a lot of pastors don't like strobes during the ceremony, and some won't allow shooting.

dazzajl

Wedding Photos
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 09:45:04 am »

.....or...

If you've got somewhere to leave the camera when you've had enough, the 70-200 might be a good bet. If there is going to be hired snapper there to get the big groups and scene shots you might like to concentrate on more intimate candids. With the 2.8 IS you'll be able to be unobtrusive, shoot without flash and perhaps get some really great portraits that capture the people you know and love in a way a stranger could never do.

D  

Hank

Wedding Photos
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 11:22:49 am »

Excellent point D!  The pivotal point is whether or not you have a safe place to dump the camera.  Yes, we have lost photo gear at weddings, even in churches.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 11:23:28 am by Hank »

dazzajl

Wedding Photos
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 11:54:36 am »

The pivotal point is whether or not you have a safe place to dump the camera

Absolutely, you will get tired of lugging it around and just want to join in the fun at some point and not feel like you missed the day because you had to keep the camera safe.

Ben Rubinstein

Wedding Photos
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 06:51:11 pm »

As a pro wedding photographer:

Leave the camera at home and enjoy the wedding!!!!

Let the pro handle the photos and you just relax, take pride in your son and enjoy being with family and friends.

macgyver

Wedding Photos
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 07:51:11 pm »

As a pro wedding photographer:

Leave the camera at home and enjoy the wedding!!!!

Let the pro handle the photos and you just relax, take pride in your son and enjoy being with family and friends.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56775\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I second, I've dragged mine along with me to a wedding as a guest.  I guess it was nice to have for a couple of 'fun' shots, but it was more boat anchor than anything.  I was in a room full of people I would trust my life with, but I still don't feel good leaving something like a camera in the open with all the waitstaff, people I don't know, other parties, etc.  So I had to keep it with me...I wanted to go get cake....oop, have to take the camera with me.  I want to use the bathroom....oop, camera.  I want to dance....camera.  

If you have a decent point and shoot, take that, but I would leave the beast and enjoy the wedding.

61Dynamic

• http://
Wedding Photos
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 08:46:52 pm »

If you are going to take a camera don't let it lie around. Even if you trust everyone - including the staff - there is always the chance it could get knocked around and broken.

If you take a camera, make sure it is small and light as you will have it the whole night.

Piece

Wedding Photos
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 03:07:10 pm »

I agree not to take it, but if you must, the 70-200 is what I would go with.  I always think of the room and how large it is, it's very difficult to get close up to people and actually get a good, candid shot of them without them noticing.  That, and with the 17-40 your stuck taking pictures of people from 1 foot to 10 feet away (9 feet f coverage), while with a 70-200 you can get from 15-40 feet away (25 feet of coverage).  That was rough, bad math but you get the jist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up