Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WORKING IN A SMALL STUDIO  (Read 654 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
WORKING IN A SMALL STUDIO
« on: March 26, 2015, 11:28:04 am »

STUDIO IN A SMALL SPACE

Even though I have a large studio less than a block from my home, I find myself most often working in a very small space, an upper-story room in my home, at least during the cold months of winter. I have had to be inventive to make this space easy-to-use as a photographer. I like to kid myself that I don’t need a large studio because I am doing macro photography.

I used to use (and still do in the larger studio) large collapsible reflectors and diffusers, some of them nine and even twelve-feet in size, but there is no room in my mini-studios even to expand one of these. And, as I am always building backdrops, I had to come up with a system to create and take-down backdrops in seconds. Here is what I am now using:

I have a simple system of “eyelet screws” positioned (one above the other for various heights) in the woodwork and walls of my small studio. I then have a system of hooked bungee cords that can crisscross the room every which way to create photo-clotheslines from which I hang various backdrops, often just a piece of black velvet velour. In addition, I have plastic-coated braided-wire hooks for the heavier stuff, like the ¾-stop silk diffusers that I use to screen down the light.

The one thing this tiny studio does have is lots of light, including an overhead skylight and two floor-to-ceiling casement windows, which is why I have to screen it back. I also have a ¾-stop door-sized diffuser hanging overhead, which I can slide out of the way on cloudy days.

I assume that I am not the only one with a small studio.  Perhaps some of you have ideas to share for photographing in a mini-studio. I would like to hear about them.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:32:54 am by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

NancyP

Re: WORKING IN A SMALL STUDIO
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 11:46:41 am »

Thanks for the motivation. I keep saying that I am going to design myself a small studio for the living room, that can be put away and set up easily. I much prefer being outside but on some particularly bad weather days I could work on macro abstracts. Of course I have all these other things I do on bad weather days - like editing and household chores.

Iluvmycam

Re: WORKING IN A SMALL STUDIO
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 12:50:41 pm »

I don't do studio work...but beautiful set up. Thanks for sharing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up