Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lonesome Trail  (Read 2446 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Lonesome Trail
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 04:11:34 pm »

You know where I stand on cloning out wires, Seamus, but it just seemed the natural thing to expect.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

seamus finn

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 04:22:43 pm »

When I finally came down, I made a horrible discovery - my wedding ring was gone. It had slipped off my finger, lost  forever to these shifting sands of time up there in the dunes. Imagine my distress, especially as the second anniversary of my wife's death was only a week away.

Then a miracle happened.  A few days later, my next door neighbour's son referred me to a Facebook page, and there, lo and behold, was a picture of the ring clearly showing the inscription of my wife's name, Sheila, and our wedding date.

Against what must be millions-to-one odds, a nine-years old girl had found the ring in that swirling wasteland, and her father did the rest on Facebook. She handed my the ring, which she had kindly encased in a jeweller's little box, on Monday last, two days before the anniversary.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 04:29:52 pm »

All is well with the world!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 05:31:54 pm »

Sometimes everything's right with the world, Seamus. Thank God for that little girl. Somewhere down the line she'll be paid back by the great mystery that's life.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 05:39:17 pm »

That is so heartwarming, Seamus!

That should give the photo special meaning for you now.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 07:20:06 pm »

When I finally came down, I made a horrible discovery - my wedding ring was gone. It had slipped off my finger, lost  forever to these shifting sands of time up there in the dunes. Imagine my distress, especially as the second anniversary of my wife's death was only a week away.

Then a miracle happened.  A few days later, my next door neighbour's son referred me to a Facebook page, and there, lo and behold, was a picture of the ring clearly showing the inscription of my wife's name, Sheila, and our wedding date.

Against what must be millions-to-one odds, a nine-years old girl had found the ring in that swirling wasteland, and her father did the rest on Facebook. She handed my the ring, which she had kindly encased in a jeweller's little box, on Monday last, two days before the anniversary.

Now, THAT deserves a +1!

stamper

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 04:59:38 am »

Seems strange that nobody has suggested cloning out the wires in this picture.

When I first saw seamus's image nobody had commented on it and I thought about posting a reply in the same vein but changed my mind. I quite often look at an image and click Notify and come back to it the next day. I think this is a fine image that isn't perfect but I like it despite the fact small deficiencies have been highlighted by others. A thought. Do any of the members sit back a little from the screen to view an image, say arm's length, or do they reach right away for the forensic microscope first? I am still looking for that "perfect" image. ;)

stamper

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 05:03:12 am »

seamus the world ain't all bad, but most days it just seems that way. Pour yourself a wee dram and console yourself.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 09:59:03 am »

When I first saw seamus's image nobody had commented on it and I thought about posting a reply in the same vein but changed my mind. I quite often look at an image and click Notify and come back to it the next day. I think this is a fine image that isn't perfect but I like it despite the fact small deficiencies have been highlighted by others. A thought. Do any of the members sit back a little from the screen to view an image, say arm's length, or do they reach right away for the forensic microscope first? I am still looking for that "perfect" image. ;)
You nailed it, Stamper!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 11:32:39 am »

I always look and look again, stand back and look again (sometimes I wait to see how the fray will develop before I enter) and if I am going to say anything, especially if it is "critical" I try to evaluate why I would think that and is it helpful. Even for positive comments, why is important to me, but it's also harder for some reason. Some of you are really good at pointing out elements of composition, processing, exposure technicalities etc (positive and negative) and I learn from those comments and believe it helps with my photography. One has even gone so far as to process my raw files to show me what he means and another has provided diagrams to show me problematic aspects; all above and beyond the call of duty. I try to offer what I can in the same spirit.

seamus finn

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2015, 04:54:57 pm »

I always look and look again, stand back and look again (sometimes I wait to see how the fray will develop before I enter) and if I am going to say anything, especially if it is "critical" I try to evaluate why I would think that and is it helpful. Even for positive comments, why is important to me, but it's also harder for some reason. Some of you are really good at pointing out elements of composition, processing, exposure technicalities etc (positive and negative) and I learn from those comments and believe it helps with my photography. One has even gone so far as to process my raw files to show me what he means and another has provided diagrams to show me problematic aspects; all above and beyond the call of duty. I try to offer what I can in the same spirit.

David,

That's one of the most genuine posts I've seen here in a very long time. Looking at your website. I can see you have very little to learn from the many reprobates who hang around this bar, including myself on a nearby stool, and much you could teach about composition, technique and 'know-how' - fantastic images, great technique, no niggling 'technical imperfections', no chaos, no ambiguity, straight up excellence in all departments, just great photography.

Personally, I'd be irritated if you hesitated in offering a view, and if it's the first, all the better - open up a debate and let the devil go to hell!

I come from the rough street where imperfections are part of the play - so long as you get the shot, but that's a whole other debate. I don't think it  would be Part One in any Course for Landscape -The Perfect Aperture.

The story of how you became interested in photography as a boy is absorbing - and then there's your personal journey from darkroom to nothing for years because of an allergy to chemicals, to eventual redemption through digital and then going on to produce such tremendous current work, is, well, let's leave it at that.

So, from one kid to another (I know your age) keep doing your thoughtful and sometimes alternative critiques - that way we will learn more than you do.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 06:19:49 pm by seamus finn »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2015, 04:52:27 am »

I've had the same experience, and often. Some very decent, generous people frequent this site and I have learned a huge amount here.

Jeremy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up