Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: super newbie question - 12.95 x 19.02 papers; print borders and edges  (Read 1187 times)

tlm

i am using canon platine rag in a3+ on borderless epson p600, printing from LR5

the computer recognizes that the paper is not an even 13 x 19", but rather 12.95 x 19.02 ??? not sure if its because of paper selection, printer driver, or what?

if p600 is a borderless printer, why does LR5 module force a minimum 0.12" border around the paper?

i can do basic arithmetic, but honestly i struggle with how to set up a uniform 3-way (or 4-way) border around my pictures.....

practical example:
-i have a portrait cropped to 3*4 ratio
-want to have 0.5" edge on top and sides (hence picture should be scaled to 12*16".... or 12 * whatever length required depending on original ratio. )

cant seem to instruct LR to do this.   also manually moving image cell around the page seems hopeless because it is not possible to zoom into the image for precision; LR wont snap objects to grids/markers; and grids are useless because paper is 12.95" instead of flat 13"

any basic pointers?

Erland

Re: super newbie question - 12.95 x 19.02 papers; print borders and edges
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 06:16:45 am »

Can't answer the border question, but are you using inches or mm in the driver?
A3+ is actually photographic paper (usually on a10metre roll) on a roll which is 329mm (12.95") x 483mm (19")
Service Technician Digital Printers and Peripherals.
Epson Stylus Photo 1400.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 06:23:43 am »

Your print ratio probably does not match your paper size.
Enter 0.5 as your border on all four sides and check zoom to fill.

tlm

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 06:33:52 am »

Can't answer the border question, but are you using inches or mm in the driver?
A3+ is actually photographic paper (usually on a10metre roll) on a roll which is 329mm (12.95") x 483mm (19")

In the driver I selected paper as 'A3+ fine-art front-load' & 'Epson premium luster' as instructed by Canson

Very interesting note about roll width.  But one wonders why it was not a flat 330mm in metric, or 13" in imperial.... 

tlm

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 06:42:35 am »

Your print ratio probably does not match your paper size.
Enter 0.5 as your border on all four sides and check zoom to fill.
For single image per page, with 3*2 photo, i enter fixed value as border on all sides and check zoom to fill (and accept the slight crop).  Happy with this so far...

Yesterday I tried to fit 2 ( 12*8 ) on the sheet, and just wanted to guaranteed even buffer around the 2 images, found it not possible to do.  shifted the 2 images manually , eyeballing to the grid, and of course 1 came out offset  :-\

by the way thanks to you both for responses.  this is the best printing forum

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 08:49:58 am »

If you are setting a .5 border on your margins for the sides plus a 12" print it will not center on the 12.95 paper. You will need the full width 13" paper
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:41:58 am by Dan Berg »

jferrari

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 09:39:38 am »

This is why most of us have a paper trimmer.   - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

hugowolf

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 10:45:30 am »

if p600 is a borderless printer, why does LR5 module force a minimum 0.12" border around the paper?

It isn't a borderless printer per se, it is a printer that supports borderless printing for some standard sized papers, or which A3+ should be one. And it is a messy business printing borderless: ink gets oversprayed onto the soak sponges and that will build up with time.

Lr doesn't force the 3 mm borders, it is the driver doing that. If you want to get rid of the minimum border requirement, then you have to set the printer driver (via the printer properties dialog) to borderless. Once you do that you can drag the borders to zero in Lr.

Some of the differences come from rounding errors in unit conversions, and others from just plain rounding errors. On the Epson 3880, for example, the manual and sometimes the driver report minimum borders of 0.12 inches, but top and left minimum borders are actually 2.8 mm, and right and bottom borders are 3.2mm - the minimum borders are not symmetrical.

If might also be worth noting that ISO standards allow for tolerances of ±2 mm for sheets of that size.

And the printer feed alignment is not very accurate either.

Brian A

Pages: [1]   Go Up