Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with the Tone Mask tutorial  (Read 2375 times)

seafan

Help with the Tone Mask tutorial
« on: January 21, 2006, 11:27:01 pm »

Hello,

I'm trying to learn the tone mask tutorial found on this site:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/masking.shtml

towards the end of the tutorial, it says:

"The easiest way to apply a tone mask is to select the Channels palette and then ctrl-click (on a Mac, use cmd-click) on the channel with the mask. This will load the mask as a selection. You can then return to the Layers palette and select Layer ~ Add Layer Mask ~ Reveal Selection. If you instead add a new layer, the selection will become a layer mask."

I did ctrl-click on the channel with the mask, and the highlights of the mask was selected and blinking, but I got stuck at the next step - I clicked on the Layers tab, and select Layer, but "Add Layer Mask" option from the menu was grayed out.

Am I missing a step here? or did the tutorial skip a step?

anyone could help me out here? this is a technique I really want to learn, and I would appreciate it greatly if someone could point me to the right direction.

thanks for reading!

-Jason

bobrobert

Help with the Tone Mask tutorial
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 06:36:36 am »

Hello,

I'm trying to learn the tone mask tutorial found on this site:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/masking.shtml

towards the end of the tutorial, it says:

"The easiest way to apply a tone mask is to select the Channels palette and then ctrl-click (on a Mac, use cmd-click) on the channel with the mask. This will load the mask as a selection. You can then return to the Layers palette and select Layer ~ Add Layer Mask ~ Reveal Selection. If you instead add a new layer, the selection will become a layer mask."

I did ctrl-click on the channel with the mask, and the highlights of the mask was selected and blinking, but I got stuck at the next step - I clicked on the Layers tab, and select Layer, but "Add Layer Mask" option from the menu was grayed out.

Am I missing a step here? or did the tutorial skip a step?

anyone could help me out here? this is a technique I really want to learn, and I would appreciate it greatly if someone could point me to the right direction.

thanks for reading!

-Jason
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56537\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When you created the mask did you save it as a selection? If so go to select > load selection and press Ctrl + J to create a new layer and add a mask
Pages: [1]   Go Up