Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you have a "photographic style"?  (Read 87274 times)

Tony Jay

Re: Do you have a "photographic style"?
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2015, 07:26:21 am »

Tony,

I agree in principle, but the statement is too simplistic - a professional photographer with good business but average photography skill will be successful, while a person with poor business but good photography skill will not.
I don't agree that financial and business success with photography equals good art - particularly when one looks back over time.
An excellent example from the art world is van Gogh who died a pauper yet his work, that appeared worthless at the time of his death, has absolutely stood the test of time and now command immense prices at auction.
Photography is relatively young in the art world and so there are probably less examples like this to quote.

Tony Jay

Isaac

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2015, 12:02:10 pm »

An excellent example from the art world is van Gogh who died a pauper yet his work, that appeared worthless at the time of his death, has absolutely stood the test of time and now command immense prices at auction.

It's been several years since I read a Vincent van Gogh biography, so fwiw my impression was that van Gogh actively made it difficult for dealers to see his paintings; and if he hadn't died aged 37, he may well have lived to see Sunflowers purchased for the National Gallery.

I think van Gogh is atypical.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 12:03:45 pm by Isaac »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2015, 08:26:19 am »

That's true, Red, but Renoir and van Gogh had actual styles that involved brush strokes, etc. Photographing the sea with the horizon in the center of the frame hardly can be called a style. Of course if you call that a style then anyone can replicate the style.
Any style in any creative form can be replicated, by others, painting, music, photography, sculpture, and so on. Coming up with new styles, now that is the challenge.
Your thinking that photographers cannot have styles, is only a reflection of your consistent snobbery with regard to painting compared to mere photography. A topic you like repeatedly write about in various ways and a topic founded it seems complete ignorance of most photography outside of HCB and a few other street photographers.
Not even sure why you even bother with photography as you seem to think it so insignificant and unworthy compared to master painters.  ???
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Borgefjell

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2015, 09:47:32 am »

Maybe lack of painting skills? At least in my case it's more my lack of painting skills than my photography skills which make me a better photographer than a painter.  :)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2015, 11:13:06 am »

Your thinking that photographers cannot have styles, is only a reflection of your consistent snobbery with regard to painting compared to mere photography. A topic you like repeatedly write about in various ways and a topic founded it seems complete ignorance of most photography outside of HCB and a few other street photographers.
Not even sure why you even bother with photography as you seem to think it so insignificant and unworthy compared to master painters.  ???

Hi Jeremy, Please give me a reference to a post where I've indicated I think photography is insignificant and unworthy. I frequently see landscape paintings that are far superior to their photographic brothers, but that's a criticism of a genre, not of photography.

Yes, I do think street photography is what the camera is for. Street photography is far superior to what I'll call "street painting," though I have to give a thumbs up to a few exceptions: Renoir's "L'Absinthe" for one, and Picasso's "The Frugal Repast" for another. You'd understand why I'm convinced street is the best use for a camera if you'd read my essays on the subject, which are on one of my webs for all to see. But from your posts on LuLa it's clear that actually educating yourself on any subject would be too much to ask. Better to shoot from the hip with generalized arguments that will appeal to the equally ignorant. It's what politicians do.

Since you think I have ". . .complete ignorance of most photography outside of HCB. . ." I can only conclude you've never checked my webs. I've been into most photographic genres at one time or another over the past sixty-two years.

Long ago I did commercial work and hated doing it. The reason I hated doing it was that people usually were looking for the kind of clichés I see on your web. I'd rather not.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Borgefjell

« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2015, 11:41:51 am »

It seems the "discussion style" is turning towards the bad here...

Sometimes painting and photography are working quite well together...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 11:57:14 am by Borgefjell »

Iluvmycam

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2015, 04:04:52 pm »

I think consistency is a big part of my style a well.

This is something I just did, at least processed a couple of days ago, although I shot it in 1975. They are low IQ since they were taken from old Super 8mm film and have gone through many generations. But they still are consistent.

(nsfw)

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2015/04/05/gone-up-in-smoke-barbara-lemay-doing-a-reprise-of-the-hoochie-show-she-use-to-perform/

My color street HDR has more or less a consistent look. Circular fisheye as well...generally clean and framed well. A Google image search of my name speaks of a somewhat consistent style. Another consistent part of my work is that I only show my best work. I try not to show garbage.

If your serious and wish to put your best foot forward, only have your best work connected with your name. When someone Googles your name only your best images and projects should only show up. Don't dilute a portfolio with lots of garbage like many photogs do. They will have 20 versions of a crapper pix on Flickr. Just pick one, no one wants to see 20 views of garbage. It looks like they don't know what the hell they are doing. It looks like they are using the shotgun approach and saying "Here, I don't know if any of these are any good...you pick."

Also be careful where you leave comments with your name or an account that is connected to your name. The other person's photos will show up on your image search. While it is nice to encourage upcoming photogs that do not produce anything special, I don't want their pix showing up on a search for my name.

Here is an example. I left a comment on a blog and now his pix, circled in green, shows up on an image search for my name.

(nsfw)

http://testarchives.tumblr.com/image/113035786794

I like his pix and it is not a hardship on me. But I don't want an image search of my name to show up lots of bad work that is not mine and dilutes my portfolio. It also works the same if you have your images used by others. Their images can show up in an image search for you and your images.

Same link as above, photo circled in red. I made the mistake of putting some of my lower end photos on Wiki Commons. Someone used it and did a bad job on exposure and now it shows up in an image search of my name. Same with another person that chopped up one of my photo.

I am a museum photog. I have my work in nearly 100 museums and public collections around the world. When a curator looks up my name I don't want them to have to sift through lots of junk and be turned off. So keep a clean profile with Google and where and how your work is used if your interested in getting ahead.

I have 45+ Tumblrs.  Every project gets a Tumblr of its own. You want to keep a body of work focused not all over the place...be consistent.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 04:26:42 pm by Iluvmycam »

bassman51

« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2015, 07:06:24 pm »

Seems to me that there are photographers who have a style, and those that don't.  I would define a style as anything which might enable a viewer to discern the photographer (or more generally the artist).  A style is not necessarily exclusive; more than one - perhaps many - artists can have similar or the same style. I think Ansel Adams had a style; many have copied it but it's not uncommon for me to hear a print called "Ansel-like".  Among contemporaries I find that Ming Thein has a style (like it or not) - strong lines, often straight and regular, etc.). Much of Avedon's most popular work was of a style.  Annie Liebowitz seems to have a style. 

I am not sure I have a style, although I think I would like to have one. 
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

amolitor

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2015, 07:11:03 pm »

Wow. You really think a museum curator is going to do a google image search on your name to try to get a grasp of your portfolio? That's a very curious belief.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2015, 08:29:27 pm »

I am not sure I have a style, although I think I would like to have one. 
I wonder if B&H has one for sale at a good price?   :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2015, 09:35:03 pm »

If not B&H, surely Adorama.

bassman51

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2015, 09:48:35 pm »

Wonder if there's a discount coupon ...?
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

mezzoduomo

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2015, 11:38:16 am »

I wonder if B&H has one for sale at a good price?   :D

Amazon has them new and used; Free 2-day shipping with Amazon Prime!

MoreOrLess

« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2015, 06:28:30 am »

Better to have test subjects unfamiliar with photography (or painting or other forms of art) and have them try to group the photographs. (Without demanding 1:1 correspondence between artist and style; but in the expectation that there'll be some work in the style of someone else, and that a lifetime of work can encompass several styles.)

That doesn't seem to make much sense, someone unfamiliar with photography is obviously less likely to be able to pickup on differences in style.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2015, 06:00:53 pm »

Hi Jeremy, Please give me a reference to a post where I've indicated I think photography is insignificant and unworthy. I frequently see landscape paintings that are far superior to their photographic brothers, but that's a criticism of a genre, not of photography.

Yes, I do think street photography is what the camera is for. Street photography is far superior to what I'll call "street painting," though I have to give a thumbs up to a few exceptions: Renoir's "L'Absinthe" for one, and Picasso's "The Frugal Repast" for another. You'd understand why I'm convinced street is the best use for a camera if you'd read my essays on the subject, which are on one of my webs for all to see. But from your posts on LuLa it's clear that actually educating yourself on any subject would be too much to ask. Better to shoot from the hip with generalized arguments that will appeal to the equally ignorant. It's what politicians do.

Since you think I have ". . .complete ignorance of most photography outside of HCB. . ." I can only conclude you've never checked my webs. I've been into most photographic genres at one time or another over the past sixty-two years.

Long ago I did commercial work and hated doing it. The reason I hated doing it was that people usually were looking for the kind of clichés I see on your web. I'd rather not.

I see you are resorting to being extremely insulting again. As well as making your usual incorrect assumptions.  ::) A bit pathetic really.

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

amolitor

« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2015, 10:51:26 am »

Well that's a central question, isn't it?

Is 'photographic style' something a layman can see or feel, or is it something only the anointed can?

stamper

« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2015, 11:04:41 am »

If you substitute "a certain way of doings things" for "style" then that would be a more accurate description of a photographer's way of working? :-\

Iluvmycam

« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2015, 10:06:41 am »

I just finished an illustrated bio. The nice thing about an illustrated bio is it shows the body of work in context. If you have a style it will be obvious. The one connecting theme in my work is this...people are my landscape.

nsfw

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2015/06/19/biography-of-daniel-d-teoli-jr/

If you have not tried the illustrated bio I suggest you give it a whirl. I can't say I invented the concept, but I did not get the idea from anyone else. If you do have an extensive illustrated bio like I do, also offer a text version for the people that just want the facts.

stamper

« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2015, 10:16:16 am »

Some people on here have reservations about your work but one thing is for certain it is never anything less than interesting and a change from the usual fare on here.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:35:55 am by stamper »

RSL

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2015, 04:27:26 pm »

+1
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up