Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Printing 101

(1/6) > >>

robdickinson:
Hi people!  I have mostly up until now hid my head in the sand on printing , relying on professional printers to do my work for me! I have had great results this way but its time to start learning and working on my own prints, if not for sale just for me. I am working on a dell 2711 calibrated and prints from shops come out looking right.

I've been lucky to have just been gifted a canon Pixma pro 1.  I know this has some limitations but in general it looks a decent A3+ printer I can certainly get good prints out of.

Except I dont know where to start! I normally just send stuff to my (mg-6150) multi function without doing a whole lot. I use windows (8.1) and photoshop cc.

I will setup the printer this evening, download canons pack of ICC paper profiles, and have a general muck around. Every time I look at printing it seems to rapidly fall down a rabit hole of colour managent etc often with options in apps I cant find etc.

Chris_Brown:
I recommend "The Digital Print" by Jeff Schewe. It covers everything you need to get a good print.

Mark D Segal:
Luminous Landscape "From Camera to Print" video tutorial. Check it out on this website's Shop.

robdickinson:
Thanks, will check them both out. was hoping for an online option so the video may work better.

Tony Jay:

--- Quote from: robdickinson on March 24, 2015, 09:25:37 pm ---...Every time I look at printing it seems to rapidly fall down a rabit hole of colour managent etc often with options in apps I cant find etc.

--- End quote ---
You may have been led down rabbit holes previously.
Actually with Ps or Lr, the printer and its driver, as well as the appropriate ICC paper/printer profiles you have all you need to deal with colour management as far as setting up an image to print appropriately.
I am making an assumption that you are already using a good monitor that is correctly calibrated and profiled.
The CPS tutorials already recommended will quickly allow you to integrate your entire workflow.

Tony Jay

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version