Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: An Old Wreck  (Read 6565 times)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: An Old Wreck
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 09:57:34 am »

This discussion is fascinating.

I think I find myself pretty close to Stamper's attitude, so my suggestion to Tony is this:
Pay attention to each of these suggestions for "improvement," and ask yourself whether the suggestion feels right to you. Don't worry about the credentials or track record or rhetorical skills of the one who made the suggestion. If it feels right to you, then you might want to consider it.

I happen to find Tony's image very satisfying just as it is.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 11:33:54 am »

This discussion is fascinating.

I think I find myself pretty close to Stamper's attitude, so my suggestion to Tony is this:
Pay attention to each of these suggestions for "improvement," and ask yourself whether the suggestion feels right to you. Don't worry about the credentials or track record or rhetorical skills of the one who made the suggestion. If it feels right to you, then you might want to consider it.

I happen to find Tony's image very satisfying just as it is.

-Eric
Absolutely agree on all counts. Well said, Eric.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 11:59:19 am »

...Don't worry about the credentials or track record or rhetorical skills of the one who made the suggestion. If it feels right to you, then you might want to consider it.

Might? Might!? Are you kidding me!? When I invest a few minutes of my life in trying to help others, I expect in return an absolute obedience. No ifs or buts about it. No vacillating. Just do it as I say or...else! I'll track you down, smoke you out, and teach you a lesson, damn it!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 12:02:23 pm »

Might? Might!? Are you kidding me!? When I invest a few minutes of my life in trying to help others, I expect in return an absolute obedience. No ifs or buts about it. No vacillating. Just do it as I say or...else! I'll track you down, smoke you out, and teach you a lesson, damn it!

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Isaac

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 12:40:16 pm »

What makes you think that Tony Jay is in need of such advice?

Tony Jay seems perfectly able to hear other people's opinions and then do what he wants to do.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 02:39:50 pm by Isaac »

Isaac

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 01:02:36 pm »

Both of you are entitled to your opinions but Tony must wonder which opinion carries the most merit. The bottom line for me is that some posters seem to take great delight in finding faults rather than finding worthwhile good points.

Tony Jay seems perfectly able to hear other people's opinions and then do what he wants to do.

Stamper, you seem to take great delight in finding faults with other posters.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 02:39:38 pm by Isaac »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 01:05:10 pm »

Easy, Stamper. Don't hit him too hard. You can be sure his trigger finger is over the Report to Moderator button.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 03:00:35 pm »

... I can't see how the car can be separated even more from the surrounding? If the shrubbery was in the background then possibly a defocus would help, but it isn't. Dodging and burning would be tedious and selective clarity would also be tedious... I would be interested in how you could achieve it...

No, I wasn't suggesting any of the above mentioned techniques (defocus, dodging, burning, clarity, etc. - although some, or all, might actually work) but a simple tonal separation, the one typically achieved with a particular filter in film days or its modern, digital equivalent (I suggested orange, but red might work as well) . It would make the car lighter and the greenery darker. As we all know, the brightest part of an image attracts our attention the most (which is the very reason I suggested getting rid of the twig in the lower left corner - too bright, but unimportant).

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 08:10:53 pm »

Let me rephrase my point. If you get any advice from me, you must immediately obey. If you get advice from anyone else, especially from Slobodan or Russ, you should ignore it completely.
Resistance is futile!!!    :D

mezzoduomo

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 08:57:44 pm »

Any thoughts on my old wreck, pro or con?

Found this while climbing up the hillside to gain access to the junkyard in Mayer, AZ. There was no access from the road due to the dogs and the locked gate.

Sigma DP-1 Merrill, converted in Sigma Photo Pro.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2015, 10:02:52 pm »

Any thoughts on my old wreck, pro or con?...

I am going to surprise Stamper and say that I do not find any faults with this image :)

Great chrome rendering, btw.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 11:57:15 pm »

Yes, look at that gleaming chrome! How can you call that a wreck? Why I think it just needs a tune-up and maybe a few accessories, like headlights, etc.

I'm partial to old wrecks, being one myself, so I like the photo.

stamper

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2015, 05:14:06 am »

I am going to surprise Stamper and say that I do not find any faults with this image :)

Great chrome rendering, btw.

Then you will have to look harder? There are one or two areas showing overexposure. They don't bother me but I am surprised that they don't bother you? ;)

stamper

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2015, 05:24:06 am »

Stamper, you seem to take great delight in finding faults with other posters.

Isaac I have read many comments from you in the past but have failed to see humour in any of them. Is this the first humorous post that you have attempted? Were you laughing out loud when you typed the above statement? I won't say any more except that I suspect the members will splitting their sides laughing at your post. ;D

stamper

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2015, 05:34:39 am »

No, I wasn't suggesting any of the above mentioned techniques (defocus, dodging, burning, clarity, etc. - although some, or all, might actually work) but a simple tonal separation, the one typically achieved with a particular filter in film days or its modern, digital equivalent (I suggested orange, but red might work as well) . It would make the car lighter and the greenery darker. As we all know, the brightest part of an image attracts our attention the most (which is the very reason I suggested getting rid of the twig in the lower left corner - too bright, but unimportant).

Slobodan you would have needed to see the original coloured image before making a recommendation about the use of a filter. Personally speaking I find that the car stands out perfectly well and don't see any need for any alteration to the scene?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2015, 05:37:10 am »

About the OP: I actually like the current framing. The clear foliage at the bottom left corner seems as it flooded out of the car's door. (I would probably ajdust slightly the tones a little bit to stress this).
Cropping the image will make it just a photo of the car wreck.

stamper

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2015, 05:39:29 am »

Any thoughts on my old wreck, pro or con?

Found this while climbing up the hillside to gain access to the junkyard in Mayer, AZ. There was no access from the road due to the dogs and the locked gate.

Sigma DP-1 Merrill, converted in Sigma Photo Pro.

An image that is every bit as good as Tony's fine image. Any small imperfections aren't a problem. :)

stamper

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2015, 05:43:26 am »

About the OP: I actually like the current framing. The clear foliage at the bottom left corner seems as it flooded out of the car's door. (I would probably ajdust slightly the tones a little bit to stress this).
Cropping the image will make it just a photo of the car wreck.

Correct. This where I differ from David. The wreck needs some space around it to show it's final resting place which in reality is it's grave. I am a cropper myself but in this instance it isn't needed.

NancyP

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 07:54:28 pm »

Actually, I'd be the one to look around and photograph any "inhabitants" in situ. Interesting subject, well done.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up