Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Mouse for PhotoShop Work?  (Read 14769 times)

DanPatrick

Best Mouse for PhotoShop Work?
« on: January 21, 2006, 03:49:10 pm »

On my new system, I currently use a (now) old Logitech MX Laser mouse, which is less than ideal for PhotoShop work.  I'm now looking for the ideal replacement.  I can't seem to get comfortable with the Wacom system and would prefer a cordless.  But if a corded mouse is that superior, would probably purchase that.  Suggestions?
          Thanks, Dan

jliechty

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 04:25:23 pm »

In general, corded mice are superior in responsiveness to cordless mice. I have a Logitech MX518, a gaming mouse that I use instead for Photoshop. Between the adjustable sensitivity on the mouse and the controls in Windows, I have found a very natural group of settings that makes the mouse a pleasure to use in PS, though I suspect that I would like a Wacom better.

Logitech also has new laser mice out (a digression: you do not have a laser mouse now, especially if it is an older one; all older and most current optical mice are based on LED technology, though a few new ones do indeed use real lasers) in corded and cordless form, which is said to be even better than the MX518; it would be worthy of your consieration also.

DanPatrick

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 04:58:35 pm »

You might be right about not having a real Laser now, but the thing does say MX Laser on the bottom.  Is the new Logitech you're talking about the MX 1000?  Wonder if anyone else has tried it.

Thanks for your reply, Dan

61Dynamic

• http://
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 05:09:22 pm »

Cordless mice are no worse in responsiveness than a corded mice unless the cordless fall asleep quickly or is a POS.

That being said, I used to use the MX700 but recently upgraded to the MX1000 which is a helluva mouse.

The MX1000 was Logitech's first laser mouse and it works noticeably better than the MX700. the battery life is far better too. I've been able to use it 2.5 full working days strait on a single charge and recharge times are very rapid (just under an hour will net you a whole days worth). It does fall asleep allot but I don't find that to be any issue.

The other laser mice from Logitech actually have better sensitivity than the MX1000 but lack some of the niceties such as a recharging base and IMHO the nicer design.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 06:09:03 pm »

I'm using a Kensington Optical Trackball. It is the smoothest, most responsive and most controllable mouse I've ever owned. Not cheap, but given how many hours per day I use it, well worth the cost. The ball is large enough to glide well with little hand motion, it allows very controlled, precise work in Photoshop and you customize its speed and responsiveness with Kensington Mouseworks software.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 07:39:40 pm »

Another vote for the Kensington Optical Trackball. It's almost too responsive; I keep its acceleration and speed set high so I don't have to slap at the ball to move across the screen. I like trackballs better than mice because I hate chasing a mouse around.

I also use a large Wacom Intuos2 pen tablet. It took some getting used to but now I can barely work in Photoshop or Nikon Scan without it. I'd never go back to a mouse or trackball for the numerous fine-motor things I do in PS.
michael sebast

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 08:27:11 pm »

My ancient Microsoft mouse serves well for rough pointing and general use, but you'd never get me off my Wacom tablet for PS use.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 03:29:00 pm »

I'm using an MS "Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0."  It works extremely well and is very accurate and sensitive.  I've also bounced it off the floor at least three or four times without any apparent ill effects.  

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 03:30:05 pm by Nill Toulme »

KenS

• Spark of Light Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 01:51:55 pm »

I just purchased a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 4.0.  The scroll wheel can be used in Photoshop to scroll across the image horizontally ! (by moving the scroll whell left and right).  I am finding this very useful.  It also has the usual vertical scroll which is very smooth.  In addition it has two reprogrammable buttons on the side that I think can be set to zoom in and out in Photoshop. (Mine are currently set to the default which allows one to go back and forward during Web browsing).  The mouse feels very comfortable/ergonomic and adjustments for responsiveness cover a wide range.
Ken

sentiensx

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 07:27:30 pm »

I just got the Microsoft Wireless comfort keyboard and MS Wireless Laser mouse 6000.  Response and control with the mouse are great.  Its adjustable and has the best scroll wheel I've ever used.  I am replacing the kit with something from logitec however because I cannot hold any modifyer down for more than 2 seconds before it automatically releases (ctrl alt shift).  I think we can all agree this is a huge issue for PS.  There are posts about the issue on Microsofts own message boards but no solutions other than getting something else.
Pages: [1]   Go Up