Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New 3D Gallery for nature images  (Read 7274 times)

AJSJones

New 3D Gallery for nature images
« on: March 23, 2003, 02:18:53 pm »

There is a Mac plug-in from Adobe but you're right, it doesn't work! (At least on this lowly iMac running IE under Sys9)
I got all excited that the images were 3D and then realized it's "only" the gallery  -  I think it would still be "cool" to explore a collection of images this way, a refreshing change from thumbnail pages...

Andy

Mark Graf

• Nature photography by Mark Graf
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 09:48:38 pm »

This pretty neat.  What software do you to create it?  
Adobe's new software "Photoshop Album" allows you to create a variety of 3D galleries pretty painlessly.  It creates all the files and directories for you, and you simply upload them to your web server.  One of the nice benefits of this very versatile program.
Mark
http:

Mark Graf

• Nature photography by Mark Graf
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2003, 09:39:06 am »

Hi all,
I introduced a new "medium" for displaying some of my images on my site - a 3D Virtual Gallery.  I would like feedback on how others like this method of displaying your work.  Is it too novelty-like - or a viable and interesting presentation method?

Just a warning though - it does not yet work with Netscape, or a Mac, and don't think I would try it with a dialup connection, so I have sins as far as being multi-user compatible.  The audience might already be limited in use of this technology.

Here is the link;
Graf Virtual Reality Gallery
Mark
http:

Jan Brittenson

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2003, 08:30:29 pm »

This pretty neat.  What software do you to create it?  I'd love to try to do something like that.  Maybe we could set up a shared portal?  I'd be happy to host it.

The photos you've chosen are absolutely excellent!

Dan Sroka

• http://www.danielsroka.com
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2003, 02:37:14 pm »

Unfortunately, I can't only since the opening graphic of your gallery (since I am on Mac).

Is it too novelty-like - or a viable and interesting presentation method?

Well, I did one of these back in the early 90s, using Director, Infini-D and CD-ROMs. Yeah, it was fun to do, but in my opinion it got old quick. I worked for a 3D software company then (Specular, who wrote Infini-D), so we spent a lot of time exploring the use of 3D for user interfaces. As I learned more about web and interface design, we found that this sort of 3D metaphor does not work very well for user navigation -- it sounds like it should work, but is actually rather clumsy way to explore many photographs. Many users simply had trouble moving around. Plus, you quickly discovered the other problem -- because of software problems, it severly limits who can see your work!

But that's just my opinion!
Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up