Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Migrating Snow Geese 2015  (Read 1257 times)

SangRaal

Migrating Snow Geese 2015
« on: March 24, 2015, 08:15:12 pm »

Pictures made at Middle Creek Migratory Bird Sanctuary(operated by the P.G.C.) afternoon of 3/23/15 Southeastern Lebanon County . "Tour Trail" was routed to exclude access to the lake. All viewing activity was over cornfields. Pic #1 is a flyout caused by 3 raptors circling in formation, Pic #2 made the first cull and I am just beginning to work on the files. 

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Migrating Snow Geese 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 04:58:32 am »

Good shot. Out of curiosity, the background seems almost like a "frosted" glass, was that the result from the aperture set?

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 02:27:56 pm »

I agree, oddly the background here is more interesting to me than the birds.  It's like a beautiful oil painted abstract of sorts.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

SangRaal

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 06:42:59 pm »

Yes there is something not right about the background, the file was processed in Lightroom and is a greater than 100% crop. I got 3 different suggestions from 3 different people, do the raw conversion in DPP 4, Do the raw conversion and process in C1, and or in the future pull the rear "gel" filter holder and replace either with polarizing filter or with the screw in filter holder with no filter. I am also very frustrated because I am unable to post the first pic that was in this group a Geese Flyout that was a full white-out despite the fact that I reformatted it 3 times. I began to work on these file this morning during breakfast but got interrupted when 2 large Tom Turkeys showed up outside the kitchen to put on a strutting display for a group of females, they were interrupted by 4 or 5 smaller Toms and we had a full turkey war outside that I had to photograph.

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 10:43:51 am »

So where is this? I see similar flocks on the Mississippi River floodplain wild reserves. I don't have great close-ups because visitors are requested to stay in a limited area. Maybe next year I will talk to the ranger and see if it would be possible to set up a hide in a way that won't stress the geese. It is a thrill to see 5,000+ geese in the air. It is a pleasure to know that there are many areas along the Mississippi River where waterfowl can stop and be safe from hunters. I get sick of people who complain about the government by saying that nothing it does is worthwhile. National Parks, Fish and Wildlife, Forests should be a source of pride to Americans (but of course I am preaching to the choir).

Deardorff

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 08:58:29 pm »

"Pictures made at Middle Creek Migratory Bird Sanctuary"

What State?

Here in North Dakota we have them in the fields and a number on the sloughs and ponds that are getting free of ice. Miles long Vees in the air. Honking all night long in the fields near our place, at times drowning out the coyotes singing.

Sandhill Cranes flying in and over as well. A good time of year tho snowed today after low 60's yesterday. Springtime with a good storm or two yet to come and with luck a good blizzard for a day. Makes for good photos.

NancyP

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 12:11:05 pm »

Going north to see the Platte River sandhill cranes is on my bucket list.

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 09:27:47 pm »

Going north to see the Platte River sandhill cranes is on my bucket list.

Where are you? If it's closer, you can find sandhills in northern Oklahoma also.
Pages: [1]   Go Up