Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ColorMunki spectrophotometer or i1 Pro?  (Read 2024 times)

jrussell88

ColorMunki spectrophotometer or i1 Pro?
« on: March 24, 2015, 12:51:25 pm »

I'm using an X-Rite i1 Display Pro to calibrate my monitors, and a commercial service for my Canon ix6560 printer.

I'm considering getting a spectrophotometer to handle more variations in ink and paper; as I mostly use Ubuntu (OSx if necessary) I'd expect to use Argyll to profile the printer. The most cost-effective choices seem to be a ColorMunki spectrophotometer or an old i1 Pro.

Does anyone have any experience with these units as to which would work better?  Could either replace the i1 Display Pro or would that require the i1 Pro 2?

I understand that the i1 Pro may not have X-Rite's software - using Argyll that doesn't really matter, but are there any other issues I should watch out for?

Thanks.

AlterEgo

Re: ColorMunki spectrophotometer or i1 Pro?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 01:17:20 pm »

I'm using an X-Rite i1 Display Pro to calibrate my monitors, and a commercial service for my Canon ix6560 printer.

I'm considering getting a spectrophotometer to handle more variations in ink and paper; as I mostly use Ubuntu (OSx if necessary) I'd expect to use Argyll to profile the printer. The most cost-effective choices seem to be a ColorMunki spectrophotometer or an old i1 Pro.

Does anyone have any experience with these units as to which would work better?  Could either replace the i1 Display Pro or would that require the i1 Pro 2?

I understand that the i1 Pro may not have X-Rite's software - using Argyll that doesn't really matter, but are there any other issues I should watch out for?

Thanks.

some people use both colorimeter and spectrophotometer for LCD displays - one for shadows, one above... best of both worlds

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: ColorMunki spectrophotometer or i1 Pro?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 10:32:38 am »

Not much better at that price point for calibrating a display, a colorimeter is better suited to the task anyway. Use the Spectrophotometer for making paper profiles if you desire but stick with this colorimeter for display calibrating.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:34:17 am by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up