Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 645z Tethered Shooting  (Read 19474 times)

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
645z Tethered Shooting
« on: March 23, 2015, 10:29:46 pm »

My apologies if I'm late to the party and this issue has been discussed to death. I found only two threads on Lula but if I'm missing any please let me know.

I have several upcoming shoots that need to be tethered, using the Pentax 645z. I'm under the impression there is no way it can tether to Lightroom. Is that correct? I hate to buy Capture One for that single purpose. Is anyone using another solution?

I'd love to have the files read directly to the computer drive, the way Lightroom tethering works, if possible.

Thanks everyone!
JB Rasor

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: 645z Tethered Shooting
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:06:44 pm »

Capture One v8 does not support raw files from, nor tethering to, the 645z.

The only medium format solutions Capture One supports are Team Phase One solutions (Phase/Leaf/Mamiya).

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 12:35:50 am »

Thanks Doug.

After doing some more research it seems like the only tethering solution is Image Transmitter 2. Hmmm. Seems odd to me that's the only option. But I guess I'll have to go with it unless anyone has other alternatives.

Thanks again all!
JB

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 02:21:54 am »

Hi,

LR has no controls for the camera, but most cameras can use a feature called watched folder. So if you have a remote control application for the camera it and it can be told to write a file to a specified directory on your hard disk, that folder can be imported automatically by Lightroom. This actually works fine. I am pretty sure James Russel uses this approach with his Leica S2.

That leaves you with the need of a good remote control option for the camera.

This may also be some help: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/folder-watch

Best regards
Erik

Thanks Doug.

After doing some more research it seems like the only tethering solution is Image Transmitter 2. Hmmm. Seems odd to me that's the only option. But I guess I'll have to go with it unless anyone has other alternatives.

Thanks again all!
JB
Erik Kaffehr

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 08:42:32 am »

Hi JB,

I just left a long reply at the 645z FB group.  The short answer is that IT2 is just the pipeline to bring the image to the computer.  Then you use LR or C1 or whatever to display it. IT2 lets you pick what folder you send the files to, and then you make that a 'watched' folder for auto import in your processor software.

The best workflow is to send Large, 1* jepgs, and write the RAWs to the camera. If you just want to see what you're shooting as you go, this is a good solution.  C1 actually displays the Jpegs slightly faster than LR, ironically, but can only do RAWS with a 3rd Party hack, and then they look like shit.  Phocus works too with the jpegs, if you happen to have a copy. 

This is how I work (with LR). I import the Raws afterwards, and LR matches them up to the jpegs and I edit from there.

It works just fine.  I hope LR does native tether support soon.  The reason it's slower than native phase or hassy tether is because of some internal processing by the 645z that i can't get to stop.  That adds about 3.5 seconds.  Actual transfer is virtually instantaneous (since it's USB3).

Let us know if you have questions.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Dshelly

• Darryl Shelly Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 11:58:33 am »

This link seems to offer a fix that allows you to tether images into Capture 1

http://www.alexmunoz.net/capturefix/

Joe Towner

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 02:36:59 pm »

This link seems to offer a fix that allows you to tether images into Capture 1

While this makes the files editable in C1, it doesn't give you the camera control that you get in a native support method.

Lightroom can be configured to 'watch' a folder and import anything that shows up there.  It's not the same as the tethered workflow where you can make settings adjustments on the camera from the computer.

You're looking for a package ala Image Transmitter 2 - but be careful - Pentax may not have their bugs worked out...  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1095284-REG/pentax_38553_image_transmitter_2_dvd.html
t: @PNWMF

Dshelly

• Darryl Shelly Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 07:00:26 pm »

It's a pity that Pentax has put together a useful option for photographers that need fast, comprehensive software for tethered shooting. This is imperative for studio photographers.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 08:12:31 pm »

Pentax released a firmware for the 645z update along with a version update to IT2 today, both aimed at improving performance in a number of ways. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but their attention to the issue is at least promising.

- N.

rcdurston

• http://www.durstonphoto.com/
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 05:32:38 pm »

I have no problems shooting raw DNGs from the camera through IT2 to Lightroom watched folder. It takes about 4 seconds or so and works much better IMHO than my Canon does with C1.
You jut have to remember not to shoot too quickly but other than that it works fine.

R

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 10:30:33 am »

My initial brief tests with the IT2 / firmware update is that it now transmits to the computer a good deal faster and the only delay is in LR producing previews.  Stability with bursts of images seems improved as well, but I need to play with it more to know.

I'd say it's fully equal to Leicashuttle now.

- N.

camag

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 02:20:37 pm »

Similar findings as Nick with new firmware. About 5 seconds to preview in LR for me; 2 seconds to show in IT2.  Hoping when LR 6 is released the LR preview time improves.

Those that are tethering with the Z , or D may be interested in this cable anchor made by RRS. Works well in keeping either straight , or right-angle USB 3 cables secured. It is called a CA-1. Attaches to an existing arca-style plate on the side tripod mount of the camera.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 02:25:02 pm by camag »

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 09:13:38 am »

So I tried the updated DCU5.  It does bring in the images, but displaying is slow and flaky.  Disappointing but not unexpected. For pure speed, I think the answer is IT2 --> C1, using L* jpegs.  I think that will bring up previews as fast as any system out there.  Hopefully LR6 picks up the pace a bit.

- N.

alexluuphoto

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 08:28:35 pm »

Does the it2 work with the Pentax 645d?

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 08:12:04 pm »

No.  There apparently was an IT1

- N.

gwhitf

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 03:53:16 am »

Just purchased 645Z. I am curious about Tether solutions as well. Some passed this to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_VDosb-scA

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 11:20:11 am »

IT2 as a conduit into LR is the best option.  Works fine. Not perfect and LR rendering of previews is the bottleneck.  Not quite as good as C1 or Phocus, but it works. 

- N.

michaelbiondo

• http://michael@michaelbiondo.com
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 06:18:26 pm »

Same experience here, works but is a little slow. Fine for architecture & interiors, but may not be fast enough for fashion or portrait work.
MB

gwhitf

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 07:26:30 pm »

1. Bought 645Z.
2. Download 1.21 firmware and installed it.
3. Got Image Transmitter 2.
4. Works fine, first go-round with IT2, but IT2 is a sad piece of software. A non-resizable fixed window, maybe made for a 13 inch laptop. Feels like IBM 1989 with Pocket Protector.
5. Will now try to use IT2 as a bridge to Lightroom.
6. For second generation IT software, super-disappointing.

More work ahead.

Update:

So I tested IT2 in the background, accepting the first round of image intake. Then, Lightroom imports the Watched IT2 folder.

1. Shooting a RAW file: Imported into Lightroom for review in 23 seconds.

2. Shooting a Small JPG: Imported in Lightroom for review in 17 seconds.

Both, to me, for a real advertising job: Completely unacceptable.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:05:01 pm by gwhitf »

alexluuphoto

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 09:34:55 pm »

They just updated lightroom cc and now the files using it2 takes about 2-3 seconds to appear. I don't know where you're getting 23 seconds from. Even before the update it would be around 8-12 seconds. You can also go on YouTube type in Pentax, Alex munos did a video on tethering probably a week ago talking about it.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up