Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Safari Underperforming  (Read 8239 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Safari Underperforming
« on: March 22, 2015, 03:09:57 pm »

Ok... I am officially stumped. I can't explain why opening certain pages (say LinkedIn) has such a latency (is that the right word?) and very often takes forever to open (like minutes). It appears to start quickly, the progress bar jumps into action, then almost freezes forever at the first 10% of the progress bar. Try simultaneously, say, Chrome, and the same page opens almost instantly. I tried clearing caches, cookies, website data, etc. What gives!?

jmwscot

• http://www.johnwoodphotowork.com
Re: Safari Underperforming
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 07:03:46 pm »

That sounds like it could be your broadband provider. I had the same thing a couple of times. Some pages slow on Safari but ok on Firefox. Although I was in Scotland it was a fault with BT somewhere in one of the switching centres in England. With a bit of luck it will sort itself out as it will be picked up by your provider. If it continues after a week you should report the fault - not an easy one to explain to a call centre reading a script. (p.s. I was a telecom engineer with BT)

Hope this helps,

John 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 07:24:32 pm »

Thanks for replying, John. Just curios, if broadband provider, how come the same provider performs differently with different browsers?

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 08:07:56 pm »

Make sure you don't have a proxy configured by mistake. Goto preferences, advanced, proxies change settings and remove all proxies unless you need one, of course.
I have had issues because I have two networks in my home and when I put my MBP on sleep in one end and go to the other end where there is another network sometimes Safari will be really slow. If I change between the two networks it goes away. It always goes away if I reboot. Firefox never has these issues. There are some sites that does not work with Firefox and then I use Safari and get the problem from time to time.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 09:49:22 pm »

I tried clearing caches, cookies, website data, etc. What gives!?

What version of Safari? Also, try running Activity Monitor and check for a running thread called "Safari Web Content" and see what sort of ram allocation it has...I've found that when Safari is dragging, a lot of times it's because this thread has gobbled up a HUGE amount of real ram. Force quite it then relaunch Safari and see if it's faster.

jmwscot

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 05:57:45 am »

It's something to to do with the dynamic IP addresses that some providers use. That's outwith my telecom knowledge I'm afraid. Reset your router and high speed modem if you have fibre. Switching these both off for a minute or so can fix weird routing issues.

John

francois

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 06:50:44 am »

In addition to Activity monitor, you can turn on Develop menu and use the web inspector to monitor the timeline. This way, you can determine who's taking so much time to load.
Francois

jmwscot

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 01:43:25 pm »

As I said before in my case it was a broadband fault and nothing to do with the computer or Safari as it happened on both the Macbook and the iMac.

John

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 01:49:07 pm »

What version of Safari? Also, try running Activity Monitor and check for a running thread called "Safari Web Content" and see what sort of ram allocation it has...I've found that when Safari is dragging, a lot of times it's because this thread has gobbled up a HUGE amount of real ram. Force quite it then relaunch Safari and see if it's faster.

Safari 8.0.4. I actually relatively frequently restart Safari, clean caches, etc. as I am aware (thanks to Activity Monitor) that Safari tends to hog memory.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 01:54:45 pm »

As I said before in my case it was a broadband fault and nothing to do with the computer or Safari as it happened on both the Macbook and the iMac.

John

Again, how is it then possible that a Chrome browser, running simultaneously alongside Safari, on the same computer (iMac 27 with 24GB of RAM, Yosemite 10.10.2), on the same broadband provider (Comcast, ping 17ms, download speed 30 Mbps) opens the same page practically instantly, while Safari takes about 30+ seconds?

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 01:59:18 pm »

Does a reboot change anything? Did you try the develop mode? Do you have multiple WiFi networks/routers in your home?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 02:13:19 pm »

Ok, rebooting the router helps, but for how long, will see. No multiple networks. I tried earlier Timeline in the Develop mode, but couldn't see any particular culprit, other than it took 30+ sec to open the page.

EDIT: Spoke too soon... First two attempts were fine, third stalled, fourth was fine, fifth stalled again... WTF!?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 02:19:38 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 03:30:01 pm »

Ok, rebooting the router helps, but for how long, will see. No multiple networks. I tried earlier Timeline in the Develop mode, but couldn't see any particular culprit, other than it took 30+ sec to open the page.

EDIT: Spoke too soon... First two attempts were fine, third stalled, fourth was fine, fifth stalled again... WTF!?

Did a reboot of your Mac(s) help?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:40:03 pm by Hans Kruse »

Conner999

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 09:12:28 am »

Same issue here. Tried all the usual suspect fixes (router & machine reboots, force quitting Safari when it starts sucking-up CPU cycles, etc., etc ) and while may fix briefly, eventually Safari clogs up again. Having ClicktoFlash appears to help, but more often than not I just move to Firefox.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:14:49 am by Conner999 »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 08:13:10 pm »

... check for a running thread called "Safari Web Content" ...

This is what happens when Safari stalls. Looks like Adobe (Flash) and Apple still do not play nice:

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 08:34:00 pm »

Safari (I’m currently on 8.0.5) runs fine for me, I frequent LinkedIn every day. Flash is running. Has to be something else.

1. Restart the computer holding down both the Command key and the S key.
2. After lots of text appears on the screen, type "fsck -y" (no quotes) and hit return.
3. The system will write some messages on the screen. If it says that the volume was fixed or changed, redo step #2.
4. When you get the message that the system is OK, you can either type "halt" to shut it down completely, or "reboot" to start it back up again.

Might help, can’t hurt.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

David S

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 05:23:24 pm »

It has been suggested that " "fsck -y" (no quotes) and hit return" after starting up in single user mode.

Apple warns against this if your are in "journaled" format. Instead re-start using command-R and enter the utility and run a disk check. Apparently this is safer. I believe this only applies with 10.7 and later.

I now use Chromium and Firefox and have given up Safari due to issues similar to what you are describing.

Dave S

Pages: [1]   Go Up