Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 9890 print heads only good for about 3 years according to tech  (Read 7193 times)

Darron Chadwick

• Chadwick Studios

So I just got done listing to a podcast put on by breathing Color. I will include the link. They were covering squeaky printers, clogged nozzles, & canvas shrinkage
Since we have all had clogged nozzles at one point I listened to the podcast hoping to learn something new

well I did and it was not what I wanted to hear

3yr life expectancy for the heads on the 9890 GRRRRRRRR

here's the link enjoy

http://www.breathingcolor.com/blog/clogged-nozzle/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=facebook_page&utm_medium=Breathing%20Color&utm_content=%23AskBC%20Episode%2010:%20Squeaky%20Printers,%20Clogged%20Nozzles,%20and%20Canvas%20Shrinkage

Farmer

Re: 9890 print heads only good for about 3 years according to tech
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 07:52:42 pm »

An absurd statement.  There are so many variables.  They should know better, but they again they're not really qualified.
Phil Brown

Iluvmycam

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 08:01:27 pm »

I print artists' books. My 3880's and R2000's only last a year or so.

Jim Coda

• Jim Coda Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 10:03:25 pm »

An absurd statement.  There are so many variables.  They should know better, but they again they're not really qualified.

It wasn't Breathing Color making the statement, but Ron Ardito, an Epson repairman in New York.  He's been interviewed by BB before about Epson printer problems.

What I got out of what he said in the interviews is that there is a big difference between the newest heads on the 7900 and 9900 (and 7890 and 9890) printers and the earlier printers (7800, 9800 and 7880 and 9880) in that when the earlier ones clog you can often successfully clean them and the heads can last many years.  But with the newer printers, he said that when you think you have a clog that won't clear what you really have usually is a head that has failed internally.  He said they last on average about three years and then they are likely to fail.  He considers them consumable items.  

I had a 9900 that failed at 37 months. The 7900 sitting next to me now is 37 months old.  It's also interesting that Epson offers an additional two-year warranty over and above the factory one-year warranty.  The two extra years coverage costs nearly as much as a head replacement.  It seems to me Epson is assuming that the extended two-year warranty is a money-making proposition, but any more time than three years total will be a money-losing proposition.    Thus, no fourth year warranty.  
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:05:45 pm by Jim Coda »

Farmer

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 06:23:48 pm »

Very narrow assumptions to a very broad issue, sorry.  It's basically causal reductionism, and it's a trap that's easy to fall into.  The factors behind lifespan, product cycle, product and service offerings and so on, are many and varied.
Phil Brown

Plateau Light

• Robert Park Fine Art Photographer
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 07:22:22 pm »

It wasn't Breathing Color making the statement, but Ron Ardito, an Epson repairman in New York.  He's been interviewed by BB before about Epson printer problems.

What I got out of what he said in the interviews is that there is a big difference between the newest heads on the 7900 and 9900 (and 7890 and 9890) printers and the earlier printers (7800, 9800 and 7880 and 9880) in that when the earlier ones clog you can often successfully clean them and the heads can last many years.  But with the newer printers, he said that when you think you have a clog that won't clear what you really have usually is a head that has failed internally.  He said they last on average about three years and then they are likely to fail.  He considers them consumable items.  

I had a 9900 that failed at 37 months. The 7900 sitting next to me now is 37 months old.  It's also interesting that Epson offers an additional two-year warranty over and above the factory one-year warranty.  The two extra years coverage costs nearly as much as a head replacement.  It seems to me Epson is assuming that the extended two-year warranty is a money-making proposition, but any more time than three years total will be a money-losing proposition.    Thus, no fourth year warranty.  
I have heard similar things. I have also heard that the dampers on the newest head is prone to plugging much faster than the DX5 on older 9880's. Most people have never even heard of a damper let alone knowing that they need replacement regularly.

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 07:47:42 pm »

My 7900 has been in service for 6.25 years. There must be something wrong with it.

Now excuse me me so I can find a 4-leaf clover or some wood to knock on.
- Dean

Jglaser757

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 08:27:12 pm »

Riddle me this! If you buy an extended warranty with credit card that extends the warranty by an additional year. Wouldn't this extend the epson warranty by a year?

davidh202

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 10:07:34 pm »

No!
credit card warrantee extensions only extend the original manufacturers warrantee ;-)

davidh202

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 10:44:23 pm »

Yes the heads on this series are much more delicate than the previous models, but I fully agree with Phil (farmer) that there are just too many variables to assume that even the great  Mr Ardito is correct in his assumption of a three  year head life... Maybe for machines that are operated in a constant daily heavy usage environment .
I operate both a 5 year old 7900 and 4 year old 9890 and occasionally have a glitch, but have always been able to recover!  I  have been ardently following all the  49xx 99xx znd 98xx problem threads for the past 4 year (have contributed by experiences on many), and have concluded that there are just too many people out there trying  outsmart their machines  trying to "save a few $ worth of ink"  bypassing the very well designed auto cleaning functions , running under 'maintenance mode', pulling the carts too frequently to shake them, freaking out when a nozzle check pattern shows a drop out( which are not clogs), and then resorting to all sorts of hocus pocus and the like, which then simply compounds and exacerbates the original problem, which in  most cases likely would have been a relatively easy fix if they had remained calm  and used common sense to evaluate the issue they were having.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:49:36 pm by davidh202 »

Jglaser757

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 11:35:44 pm »

Yes the heads on this series are much more delicate than the previous models, but I fully agree with Phil (farmer) that there are just too many variables to assume that even the great  Mr Ardito is correct in his assumption of a three  year head life... Maybe for machines that are operated in a constant daily heavy usage environment .
I operate both a 5 year old 7900 and 4 year old 9890 and occasionally have a glitch, but have always been able to recover!  I  have been ardently following all the  49xx 99xx znd 98xx problem threads for the past 4 year (have contributed by experiences on many), and have concluded that there are just too many people out there trying  outsmart their machines  trying to "save a few $ worth of ink"  bypassing the very well designed auto cleaning functions , running under 'maintenance mode', pulling the carts too frequently to shake them, freaking out when a nozzle check pattern shows a drop out( which are not clogs), and then resorting to all sorts of hocus pocus and the like, which then simply compounds and exacerbates the original problem, which in  most cases likely would have been a relatively easy fix if they had remained calm  and used common sense to evaluate the issue they were having.

Wait! A nozzle check showing a break in the pattern is not a clogged nozzle?

davidh202

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 12:46:51 pm »

My experience! -YMMV

Anything more than 1 or a few very small gaps showing on a nozzle pattern, or what appears to be a crooked line (deflection), can usually be considered a clog. Anything else, including but not limited to a few  lines or a complete channel missing, is usually air in the nozzles! These machines do not differentiate a clog from no ink in the nozzle, (a dropout).The machine simply reports as a "clog". A "cleaning" cycle does one of two things, recharges the nozzles with ink due to air in the nozzle(s), and or "cleans the outer surface of the head at the nozzles with the wiper.  You have to learn which is which, and treat the issue correctly, without freaking out and overdoing cleanings, especially power cleans.

A couple of Likely Causes...

A Black ink switch with 1 or more  very low carts which allows back suction during the switch, resulting in drop outs.
There is a very good reason why the machines are programmed to do a cleaning cycle after a Black switch, and that is to recharge the nozzles in case there was air drawn in. People trying to save ink, overriding this process by running in maintenance mode are wrong in doing so and taking risks! Always make sure your carts ,especially either black cart or the LK which is on the same channel is not extremely low before doing a switch. If you do get a dropout do 1 or 2  regular pair cleans and it will usually come back.If not print a B&W or color gradient on some office paper to exercise the black nozzles or which ever color channels have dropped out then do another check... repeat if necessary.

Low pressure in the lines due to 1 or more very low carts, or too frequent cart removal to compensate for infrequent printing and the fear of ink settling in the carts , ("I'm shakin it boss")...
Will ruin the cart seals or damage a needle and allow air into the lines at the  cart seals, resulting in air bubbles and gaps later as those air bubbles form a block of the ink flow to the nozzles. The dampers are not always successful in removing larger bubbles in the lines resulting in a dropout. Epson warns about this in the manual!

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 01:18:07 pm »

My 9800 is less troublesome than any of the ten Epsons I've owned. 

It seems to me that head life should be measured in square feet printed, not in years.

Some Guy

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 02:37:58 pm »

I was reading in the fine print once about an extended warranty and the heads were not covered on that policy as they were considered a "normal wear" item, probably much like brake shoes or a clutch on a vehicle.  Need to read the policy closely as I'm sure they'd likely jump ship on a head replacement if they could.

As to BC and the supposition of a 3-year failure, no doubt the reason I broke the head carriage in mine was their silly thick paper's up-curled edge issue with subsequent head strikes.  A few of those could break some internal plastics.  When you hear a head hit the side and wad it up on the left it's pretty telling that some damage to a head could be done.

SG

Garnick

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 02:43:56 pm »

A Black ink switch with 1 or more  very low carts which allows back suction during the switch, resulting in drop outs.
There is a very good reason why the machines are programmed to do a cleaning cycle after a Black switch, and that is to recharge the nozzles in case there was air drawn in. People trying to save ink, overriding this process by running in maintenance mode are wrong in doing so and taking risks! Always make sure your carts ,especially either black cart or the LK which is on the same channel is not extremely low before doing a switch. If you do get a dropout do 1 or 2  regular pair cleans and it will usually come back.If not print a B&W or color gradient on some office paper to exercise the black nozzles or which ever color channels have dropped out then do another check... repeat if necessary.

Hi David,

Some of the issues you have mentioned I agree with.  The "cartridge shaking" routine being one definitely.  Seems to me that SHAKING an ink cartridge is a recipe for disaster and something I would never do.  However, I do find this part of your post to be rather counter intuitive.  I always do the "K" ink switch in Maintenance Mode for the very reason you suggest, no auto clean cycle.  The part that I find counter intuitive is the fact that in Maintenance Mode there is indeed no auto clean cycle following the "K" ink switch.  If such a cleaning cycle was of utmost importance in this case, would Epson not have included it in Maintenance Mode as well?  Or, if Maintenance Mode is only to be used by the "Maintenance Man"(service tech), are we to assume that said tech will of course run a cleaning cycle regardless?  Well, I for one would definitely not make that assumption.  After I do the "K" ink switch in M-Mode I run a nozzle check.  If there is a problem I run a cleaning cycle in M-Mode, which usually solves that issue.  If I have a problem nozzle in standard mode I will usually run 2 clean cycles with a full colour print between.  If that doesn't work I immediately start up in M-Mode and run a clean cycle there, CL1 or CL2(depending on the severity of the "clog").  That usually takes care of the "problem" nozzle and then I go back to standard mode to print.  I take care of my 9900.  I regularly check and if necessary clean the wiper blade.  While I have the head out of the way I also check the capping station and flush box for any residue that might have somehow accumulated in those areas.  Personally I see absolutely no reason not to use the M-Mode to do certain tasks, as long as one does not venture into areas in which one has no knowledge.  M-Mode does require one's full attention, not to be going where no newbie has gone before.

Gary  
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 04:02:49 pm »

For a short while I used maintenance mode to do cleanings and I did a couple PK/MK swaps in it, but quickly decided life is way too short to be constantly going in and out of a mode the manufacturer obviously intended only for servicing the printer. I'm sure Epson never intended for users to enter maintenance mode because they do not disclose in the manuals how to enter that mode, printer errors are not displayed in that mode, and it's possible to actually damage the printer in that mode. That doesn't mean I think it should never be used. I just think it shouldn't be used for routine operations that don't require it. Going into maintenance mode to change a wiper or other actual maintenance is fine.

When purchased in the smallest 150ml quantity from B&H ink is only $0.57 per ml. That means 1% of an ink cartridge costs less than 86 cents. Using maintenance mode just to save a little ink by bypassing operations that are built into the normal functions seems not at all worthwhile, and potentially detrimental.
- Dean

Farmer

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 05:16:27 pm »

Print heads are covered under Epson extended warranties.
Phil Brown

davidh202

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 07:50:14 pm »

For a short while I used maintenance mode to do cleanings and I did a couple PK/MK swaps in it, but quickly decided life is way too short to be constantly going in and out of a mode the manufacturer obviously intended only for servicing the printer. I'm sure Epson never intended for users to enter maintenance mode because they do not disclose in the manuals how to enter that mode, printer errors are not displayed in that mode, and it's possible to actually damage the printer in that mode. That doesn't mean I think it should never be used. I just think it shouldn't be used for routine operations that don't require it. Going into maintenance mode to change a wiper or other actual maintenance is fine.

When purchased in the smallest 150ml quantity from B&H ink is only $0.57 per ml. That means 1% of an ink cartridge costs less than 86 cents. Using maintenance mode just to save a little ink by bypassing operations that are built into the normal functions seems not at all worthwhile, and potentially detrimental.

My sentiments exactly.
Even if 1% of a cart is worth $ 3-5 and troubles are showing, up I toss them and replace them, it just isn't worth the risk!   Many people are being penny wise and pound foolish. Trying to override the very features Epson put on the machines to keep them running properly or  is recipe for trouble. I believe these machines are designed to be very self aware of ink delivery and other problems with the sensors that are built in, and should be left to do their own thing ;-) 

disneytoy

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 07:25:16 pm »

I had several missing nozzles over most carts. i was lazy and let it do its auto nozzle/cleaning. Afterwards, I checked and it used 36.2ml. That is a lot. In my records a 16x20 is around 3ml. So, it used enough ink for 12 16x20 prints.

I don't know how much ink it would have been in service though.

Garnick

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 12:57:46 pm »

I had several missing nozzles over most carts. i was lazy and let it do its auto nozzle/cleaning. Afterwards, I checked and it used 36.2ml. That is a lot. In my records a 16x20 is around 3ml. So, it used enough ink for 12 16x20 prints.

I don't know how much ink it would have been in service though.

Although this is strictly anecdotal(my experience only), it would seem than service mode is considerably more efficient in ink usage during cleaning cycles than is the case in standard mode.  Usually a CL1 clean cycle will clear things up, where in standard mode it might require 3 or 4 clean cycles to do the same job.  Again, strictly anecdotal, but something I have determined over the past 2+ years of using this approach as compared to the first 2+ years in standard mode only.  For approximately the first 4 months of use I let the 9900 do its thing and run auto nozzle checks and cleanings, but from then on I took charge.  When I turn on the printer in the morning I first run a control print and then a nozzle check.  Usually no problem.  However, when there is a "borderline" nozzle issue I will run a clean cycle, a print and then another nozzle check.  Perhaps another cycle, but from that point on I revert to service mode, knowing that it will require a minimum of clean cycles to clear the nozzle. 

One more thing I will add here.  When I purchased the 9900 in early 2010 I started an "Issue Log" in which I kept track of every issue and service call, of which there were several.  During the first year there were three service calls, 2 head replacements, and 1 cleaning station replacement.  Since I do not have the "Issue Log" on my laptop here at home I cannot go into detail about the second year of my purchased warranty.  Suffice to say that the service calls and parts replacement routine continued until most of the major parts had been replaced.  Even the service tech commented that it was probably the most calls he had attended for a single printer, while also stating that my work area was one of the cleanest he had seen as well.  I had the humidifier running continuously during work hours and kept the place as dust free as humanly possible.  During the third year of my warranty I moved the humidifier much closer to the right end of the printer as well as using a full bucket of water parked just behind the right end, in which I change the water on a weekly basis.  After following Eric's thread and visiting his site on a regular basis I have since developed a routine of checking the wiper and cleaning it if deemed necessary.  Also a visible check of the flushing box and capping station while the head is out of the way.  I believe all of these routines in combination have contributed to a much happier printer and operator as well.  However, I cannot help but think that the increased humidity level might perhaps be the main reason for better printer activity and far fewer nozzle issues as mentioned in a recent posting here.  I hope this might be of some help if you have actually managed to make your way through all of it.  If you do I'll issue a GOLD STAR *** ;~)

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up