Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heads Up For Avian Photographers  (Read 834 times)

SangRaal

Heads Up For Avian Photographers
« on: March 21, 2015, 08:04:47 pm »

The Eastern Flyway is really pumping waterfowl north. Middle Creek bird sanctuary(Lebanon County Pa.) was loaded earlier this week with 130,000 Snow geese(wednesday 3/18 estimate) plus Canada Geese, Swans and a smattering of varied Ducks. I drove by there late thursday afternoon the sky was a "total white out"; I was unable to stop or enter the sanctuary because I was a passenger in a District forester's state owned work truck. I understand that Eastern Shore Maryland is also loaded with migrating waterfowl. I had planned and packed my cameras to go to Middle Creek this morning for the dawn flyout but it was cold very foggy and overcast, I will try again tomorrow. BTW one of the interesting things at Middle creek is the lake and all the ponds are still covered with ice so the birds are roosting / nesting on the ice.

BrianWJH

Re: Heads Up For Avian Photographers
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 12:27:08 am »

BTW one of the interesting things at Middle creek is the lake and all the ponds are still covered with ice so the birds are roosting / nesting on the ice.

Very interesting, so is it normal for these birds to nest on ice or is it just natures' bio-rhythm/timeclock that urges them to nest regardless of the roosting conditions.

Wouldn't nest building on ice be disastrous for the nest/eggs when the ice melts or do the nests float?

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up