Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Namib Desert  (Read 1774 times)

Tony Jay

Namib Desert
« on: March 21, 2015, 06:23:37 pm »

I will be travelling to Namibia in November, amongst other parts of Africa.

I am seeking suggestions for shooting opportunities in the Sesriem/Sossussvlei area as well as Luderitz/Kolmanskop. We will have eight days in the area not counting two days for travel to and from Windhoek.

Apart from Sesriem Canyon, Sossusvlei and Deadvlei, I was thinking of an early morning hot-air balloon trip as well.
Walvis Bay and Swakopmund (and some of the coastline north of Swakopmund) will also be accessible from one place I will be staying - Barchan Dune Retreat.
I want to shoot the Kolmanskop ghost town as well as the coastline around Luderitz itself.

The Fish River Canyon is too far south for me on this trip given time constraints.

I have travelled and shot in the area before and know the area reasonably well but am under no illusions that there are almost certainly many many locations in the area that would be great to shoot that I have no idea about.

Thanks in advance

Tony Jay
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 06:30:16 pm by Tony Jay »

Jeevz

• Sanjeev Deo Photography
Re: Namib Desert
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 02:46:54 am »

Hey Tony

I I don't know what you have shot there in the past, but if I were to go again solely for photography I think in sossusvlei I would head straight to deadvlei and spend sunrise time there. (Hopefully also get there early enough to get a little bit of predawn stars).
We went straight up big daddy; which was awesome, but probably didn't quite produce the same sunrise drama as deadvlei would.  In saying that, the views from up big daddy are quite spectacular so you can get some nice vast dune landscapes.

If you like telephoto landscapes you can consider doing some telephoto dune shots at sunrise/sunset to get some nice shadows and light (although I found I got some nice shots with slightly higher light anyway.

I quite liked sesriem canyon; but would pick sossusvlei ahead of it for sunrise/sunset shots. And sesriem canyon is best at those times too!

The elim dune was a nice spot for sunset also if you want somewhere close to the camp.

We didn't head to luderitz. But stayed in Aus. If you like to hike then some of the landscapes around Aus are pretty incredible. We did some walks from Klein Aus Vista.  Also the namib desert horses are pretty impressive. You really need an hour or so watching them to see some amazing behaviours.

Sorry I didn't go to kolmanskop or North of swakopmund so can't give advice about that.

Hope that ramble helped a little!

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 06:54:53 pm »

Yes, I have shot in Namibia before on two separate occasions.
On the last occasion I spent most of my time in Namibia up in Etosha.

This time around I do not plan to go to Etosha (my wildlife photography will be done mainly in Chobe and the Okavango delta) but my plan is to do as much landscape work as possible in various parts of Namibia.
Basically though, Namibia is just a photographic wet dream with great opportunities almost wherever one goes. For example I have elected not to go to the Fish River Canyon on this trip, but in fact there are multitudes of places to go, some not well known, with great vistas.

Deadvlei I am planning to visit at least on a couple of occasions at least once very early in the day.
The canyon at Seriem I have walked and shot - and will do so again.
I also plan to do a Balloon trip at dawn - that should be fun!

Luderitz and Kolmanskop I know only by reputation but I cannot wait to visit.
We will also, on the way back to Windhoek visit the Quiver Tree forest north of Keetmanshoop.

Tony Jay

Jeevz

• Sanjeev Deo Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 11:47:00 am »

Oh I forgot about the quiver trees!
(You have just reminded me that I have a whole bunch of photos to process from namibia!)

We actually spent one night camping at mesosaurus fossil camp. The campsite is fantastic (if you are planning to camp). Set amongst quiver trees. A few km from the main lodge/chalets (which itself is in the middle of nowhere).  We spent one awesome night there with no one else around. Had a stunning sunset and sunrise. Almost got our car stuck in sand. All of the good stuff happened!

I'm sure there are lots of other good quiver tree locations, but if you haven't planned it yet then I would recommend looking into staying at mesosaurus fossil camp.

In sure you will love chobe and okovango also. I didn't go there last year but was there back in 2010. (Before I was as seriously into photography - I think that those places definitely sparked my addiction though!). I thought they were both amazing. Chobe has so many elephants you can definitely spot some interesting behaviours without having to look too hard.

Emile Gregoire

• My website
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 12:09:08 pm »

When driving south from Sossusvlei to Luderitz (Kolmanskop is wonderful, the rest of Luderitz not so much) take the D707. One of the most wonderful roads on the planet in my opinion. Desert on one side, savannah and mountains on the other. We spent a night camping on Koiimasis farm. The website address I have is out of order, see if they're still around because the landscape over there at sunset is stunning (photo 1). Another tip is a night of camping at the Spitzkoppe (Spitzkopfe?). It's a granite mound rising up out of otherwise flat country stretching 50 kilometers to the sea. Very secluded and off the beaten track, at least the last time I was there, in 2007 (photo 2).

Have fun! I'm addicted to the general area ever since I drove through it in an old and battered car that broke down several times, back when I was young and even more stupid than I am now :-) Have to get back every few years. Chobe especially is wonderful and never disappoints, wherever you are (riverfront, Linyanti or Savuti).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 01:48:26 pm by Emile Gregoire »
Pages: [1]   Go Up