Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Galápagos - everything you'd expect and more!  (Read 1300 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Galápagos - everything you'd expect and more!
« on: March 20, 2015, 04:55:20 pm »

Still decompressing two days after returning from 10 days on San Cristóbal and Santa Cruz with 23 Gr 8s and 9s. Our primary goal was conservation service work which included night hikes to monitor Galápagos petrel nests, surveys of road kills of Darwin finches and clearing invasive blackberry bushes to create more Galápagos tortoise habitat. We spent most of our time at a hacienda in the hills of San Cristóbal - a real departure from the hotels and resorts these kids are used to! And nothing beats sleeping outside in a hammock!

We had some fun, too - swimming and snorkelling with sea lions, sea turtles, marine iguanas, Galápagos sharks and manta rays; biking, a surfing lesson and some hiking. The heat really sapped us, though, and many were temporarily down with heat stress and sun burn despite water, hats, sunscreen and swimming shirts.

What a place, though. I had a few moments to photograph, although not my usual landscapes as I would have wished. Keeping ahead of 23 14- and 15-year-olds in over 30°C heat and 100% humidity (coming from -20°C here in Ontario) meant I didn't have the energy for early morning or late afternoon/evening tromps!

The wildlife is incredibly accessible - all within touching distance and not the least bit intimidated by us. I had my doubts since the tourist literature typically shows the best encounters and not the realistic ones. Having lived in East Africa and having spent much time in wilderness parks here in Canada, I was simply astounded by the nonchalance of the wildlife.

Here are a few "snaps". Nothing that hasn't been done before, but there you have it.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Galápagos - everything you'd expect and more!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 05:03:31 pm »

The middle two may be just "snaps", Terry (although they're not to be sneezed at) but the first and, particularly, the last are lovely.

Sounds like a wonderful trip, if a bit of a strain at times!

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 11:08:24 pm »

Pretty terrific "snaps," Terry. Sounds like a fantastic trip.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 10:52:34 am »

I call them "snaps" because photos like these are readily made by anyone travelling to Galápagos with half-decent equipment, a half-decent eye and a bit of patience. The photos look more impressive than the work it takes to make them!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Arlen

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 02:29:48 pm »

As a biologist, the Galapagos have long been on my list of places I would like to go. My hat is off to you for taking along that group of youngsters with you. I'm sure it both added to and subtracted from your experiences there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up