Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Zeiss APO 85mm Lens in Close-Up Work  (Read 1029 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
The Zeiss APO 85mm Lens in Close-Up Work
« on: March 19, 2015, 07:51:43 pm »

Because the new Zeiss APO lenses are so fine, I have been using them for my close-up work. I know. They are not intended for close-up, but who’s looking. I am, and they work just fine up close. I can add 8mm or 14mm of extension and (surprisingly) no great harm seems to befall the images. And this goes for the most recent Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 lens.

I am stacking photos with these new Zeiss lenses and then comparing them to a single photo of the same subject taken at f/16 to see how they compare. I can’t make up my mind half the time which format is better, stacked or single-photo. I never even came close to having this choice with other lenses. As it turns out, I lean toward stacking images, although I find myself stacking in fewer layers or even taking just two shots of key focus areas and stacking those two to bring out a couple of focus areas. The new Zeiss APOs seem to allow this.

By stacking I can exercise better control, but at the price of artifacts and perhaps slightly worse color. With single shot photos I have to be careful to see that I get what I want in focus, and where the focus turns to blur is not always pretty. However, with stacking I especially like to use fast wide-angle lenses with a very narrow depth-of-field to paint or layer focus to create a block of the subject (or different blocks) in focus. This is just the opposite of the traditional method of trying to gain Depth-of-field by using narrow apertures.

This spring my plan is to work out with these three Zeiss APO lenses using a small amount of extension to see what I can get away with, what works and what does not. And, as mentioned, on the other hand I want to see if I can perfect one-shot photos by pushing the aperture to f/16 and trying to dodge diffraction. Before the Zeiss, I never could get away with shots at f/16, although I had not tried for some years.

I am sure most folks will not be using these great APO lenses from Zeiss as I do. They were not intended for close-up work. I don’t care. I go where the correction goes, and these APO Zeiss lenses are highly corrected. That’s what I find I need.

Here are a few photos with the Nikon D810, the Zeiss APO 85mm (with 8mm of extension), and Zerene Stacker. This approach may interest a few of you.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: The Zeiss APO 85mm Lens in Close-Up Work
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 09:18:36 pm »

Very nice Michael, thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 10:43:57 pm »

+1

Erik

Very nice Michael, thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Bernard
Erik Kaffehr

BobDavid

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 10:59:50 am »

The first shot of the Gerbera daisies is amazing. Wow. Oh, I meant to say WOW!

Steven Rozansky

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 01:57:28 pm »

LOVE these, very nice!
Pages: [1]   Go Up