Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anything out there better than the Sony RX100 series?  (Read 3234 times)

geezerhood

Anything out there better than the Sony RX100 series?
« on: March 19, 2015, 12:15:12 pm »

I gave my RX100M2 to my son for his birthday. Wanting to replace it with something that has a built in viewfinder like the RX100M3.

ISO range and image quality must be equal to or better than the Sony RX100M2 and it must do video.
Can be slightly larger but not much. I want it to fit in my coat pocket or a small belt pouch like the RX100 to be carried all day.

Anything out there that will do that besides the RX100M3?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

spidermike

Re: Anything out there better than the Sony RX100 series?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 02:17:53 pm »

for a comparable size I don't think there is much to beat the RX100 series, but the Panasonic LX7 maybe worth a look: cheaper, the sensor is smaller but the lens has wider max aperture. It depends on your priorities. Having played with both I would edge to the Sony if I had the spare cash.

B.J.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 08:50:07 pm »

Consider the Panasonic GM5. It's about the same size as the RX100 and has a viewfinder though the kit lens protrudes a bit farther when collapsed than does the RX100. Also this is a M4/3 camera and thus has a larger sensor than the RX100. The lenses are interchangeable and you can use the full range of M4/3 lenses. Some of them will look absurd on a camera this tiny, but they will work.

Robert DeCandido PhD

• http://www.BirdingBob.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 10:41:08 pm »

Sony A6000 - used ones in mint shape go for $400-$450...lenses are equally small.

Sony RX-1 - but it is slow to start up and focus/shoot. Great to 3200iso - two photos attached. Burger King at 3200iso

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 01:06:49 am »

I'm not sure the GM5 would have better image quality. It has a larger sensor but as far as I'm aware is older and technology inferior to the Sony.

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 04:23:11 am »

Anything out there that will do that besides the RX100M3?

There currently appears to be an unlikely confluence of agreement on the Panasonic LX100 as the new High End Compact Standard.

Michael Reichmann
Thom Hogan
DPR

YMMV
Jack
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 04:25:37 am by Jack Hogan »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 03:19:50 pm »

There currently appears to be an unlikely confluence of agreement on the Panasonic LX100 as the new High End Compact Standard.

Michael Reichmann
Thom Hogan
DPR

YMMV
Jack

I really looked through the glass at that LX100; didn't dare to ask to have it my hands to avoid any emotional decisions  ;D
It is significantly bigger than the RX100 series as the lens protrudes much more. Can still fit in a large pocket. Has the DOF advantage compared to the RX100 but shorter range (the diference will be even bigger in good light as the Sony has almost double the pixel count).
It has movies which should be significantly better (at least the 4K). As I said above I'm not sure the image quality would be significantly better than the RX100 as it is an older sensor technology wise and the 1'' from the Sony has a lot of punch. I'm not sure about the lens on the Panasonic, I read different opinions on it.

That being said I'm still looking at it but more on the basis of enjoying the creation process than on the basis of final output.

PS. while I was there I did get the FZ1000 as my "car camera" (something versatile and with good image quality to always have in your car to cover unexpected photo opportunities)

geezerhood

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 11:19:01 am »

Thanks for the replies folks!

I looked at everything suggested and each had something that appealed to me, but the size of the RX100 still pulls me to it over anything else out there as it will be my take everywhere camera. 

For those of you anxiously awaiting the RX100 M4, I am sure it will be announced a few weeks AFTER I have purchased my M3! ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up