Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dye ink and color change.  (Read 1413 times)

enduser

Dye ink and color change.
« on: March 18, 2015, 06:18:54 pm »

We use an HP Designjet with dye color inks.  We spray coat with an acrylic formulated for digital printing, but it changes the colors when sprayed on.  There needs to be a barrier coating first before the acrylic is used - one that doesn't alter the colors.

Does anyone know of such a treatment or product?  Moab Desert varnish comes to mind, although we've not used it yet.

Landscapes

Re: Dye ink and color change.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 07:26:50 pm »

Why don't you just have a profile made after all the finishes are applied?  I've done this for my canvas, based on the type of finish that I use (a mix of Timeless matte and glossy), and it comes out pretty good.  Its interesting that when first printed, the canvas comes out brighter/lighter which is obvious, but once 3 coats are applied, it darkens up to match the monitor.  It surprises me actually that places like Breathing Color or other companies post profiles for their canvases given that these must be coated and hence color shifts happen.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 08:08:15 pm »

Right, have to profile over the coating.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 05:55:13 am »

Custom profile as mentioned in the other replies. However let the dyes at least dry for 12 hours, then apply the coating and wait for another 12 hours before measuring the target. Dyes need more time to set the color and tend to shift again with changing humidity level. You use a varnish that contains water?

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

enduser

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 07:23:30 pm »

Yes, Ernst, we use a water based HVLP applied acrylic satin finish on canvas.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:28:01 pm by enduser »

enduser

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 11:31:46 pm »

A specific  profile is a great  idea. Our canvas supplier will  supply one free of charge. I will  post here how it  goes

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 12:23:11 pm »

End User:
I would caution you in using the water based acrylic. What is happening when you apply the protective coat, the dyes are migrating together causing the color shift. But the "bad" part of this other than the color shift, is with the dyes intermingling, the life of the print can be seriously impaired. Dyes are very sensitive in this regard, compared to pigments.

enduser

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 06:40:15 pm »

Thanks John, for some new considerations.  What do you recommend in order to get some reasonable display life of decade or two?

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 05:33:01 pm »

Use a media with a swellable polymer ink receptor coating. (most papers these days are made for pigment inks and use microporous receptor coatings). Then spray with something like Print Guard. (solvent spray) If you can't find a swellable polymer media, then the use of Print Guard would also be a better alternative.

While Dyes could last 10-15 years without noticeable fade under office lighting, a better bet would be to use pigmented inks. The HP pigmented inks have been light fade tested between 50-200 years depending on the media used.

enduser

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 07:39:44 pm »

Thanks again, John. I've got an HP Designjet and we print on canvas, so we're stuck with dye until it pays for itself. A bit of research suggests that the solvent based sprays can help a fair bit.  We're not making art  prints or seeking the "100 years on display" standard.  If they last 20 years indoors that will more than satisfy.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:39:49 pm by enduser »
Pages: [1]   Go Up