Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon IPF calibration disappeared  (Read 1095 times)

drgonzo

Canon IPF calibration disappeared
« on: March 18, 2015, 11:28:08 am »

After setting up and installing my ipf8400 over two years ago, I ran the calibration process (using the supplied Canon Heavyweight matte paper) and set the printer to use that calibration value.

I ran the calibration process again in April 2014 on the 8400 after purchasing a 9400, to ensure their output was as identical as possible.

I looked at my 8400 calibration log today and it said the printer has "not been calibrated". Has anyone else had their calibration value disappear? I asked Canon support and they have not had any reports of this.

deanwork

Re: Canon IPF calibration disappeared
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 09:59:45 am »

When my Canson tech guy came out here and replaced the main board he used the Canon glossy media to calibrate and told me to always use this, so that is what I use now.

sunsetcoast

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 11:02:26 am »

Yes, always use the Canon Photo Glossy 170g to calibrate, it only comes in 24" rolls and is made for this purpose.  The print head needs to see/calibrate with a gloss surface otherwise you will get red color shifts. 

drgonzo

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 12:07:43 pm »

Thank you John and sunsetcoast. I asked Canon yesterday about calibrating with the supplied heavyweight coated paper, and they said to use it for calibration.

I made all my profiles and match prints after the initial calibration to heavyweight coated paper, so I'm guessing there would be some color shift if the printers are now calibrated to a different media type. I will double-check with them about the gloss 170 paper.

It really would be helpful if the canon photo glossy 170 paper came with the printer for calibration purposes.

drgonzo

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 08:12:35 pm »

I found an answer to my question! - the calibration value is erased after you change the printhead.

My 9400 needed a replacement printhead, and I checked the calibration log before the head replacement procedure. The calibration log said April 2014. After replacing the printhead, the machine went through its normal nozzle check and alignment. But the calibration value was erased, similar to my 8400. I then remembered I replaced my 8400 printheads a few months ago, but hadn't run the calibration afterwards.

I ran the calibrations on both the 8400 and 9400 (using Heavyweight coated, what I performed my previous calibrations with) and the output between both machines is consistent without having to re-profile my papers.

BTW both my Canon dealer and Canon tech support didn't have a recommendation on what paper to do the calibration with, just to use the same paper for calibration each time. They did say to do head alignments on glossy paper for best results.
Pages: [1]   Go Up