Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Schewe's new book  (Read 16682 times)

Rick Popham

• http://
Schewe's new book
« on: March 17, 2015, 07:23:22 pm »

Browsing through Amazon, I came upon this and pre-ordered it:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Negative-Processing-Lightroom-Photoshop/dp/0134033175/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1426633506&sr=1-1&keywords=jeff+schewe

Jeff, can you talk a little about what's new in the 2nd edition, or is most of it under NDA?  Very cool image on the cover, btw.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Schewe's new book
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 07:49:50 pm »

Thanks for the heads-up. I've pre-ordered. BTW, Amazon.ca has a good price in CAD for those of us living here, considering the exchange rate.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 12:11:27 am »

Jeff, can you talk a little about what's new in the 2nd edition, or is most of it under NDA?  Very cool image on the cover, btw.

Well, it's primarily an update based on new software...there will be some new tuts and images but it's really about the software.

Also, for several reasons, the ship date may slip. One of the reasons was health issues I had in Jan 2015 and the other reason is under NDA :~)

Edited to mention the release date
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:15:07 am by Schewe »

JimGoshorn

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 11:22:39 am »

With all the changes to Adobe software, requiring more updated books, I sometimes wonder why authors aren't promoting an idea similar to the old Photo Lab Index.  ;D

Jim

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 11:40:25 am »

I hope it slips forward.   I pre-ordered and see a July ship date.
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

bjanes

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 06:54:22 am »

Well, it's primarily an update based on new software...there will be some new tuts and images but it's really about the software.

Also, for several reasons, the ship date may slip. One of the reasons was health issues I had in Jan 2015 and the other reason is under NDA :~)

Jeff,

I am sorry to hear that you experienced health issues in January, and I hope for a speedy and full recovery. Your mention of NDA and software issues for delay in the publication strongly suggests that LR 6 is in the equation. While some have preordered your new book, I will wait until it comes out to determine if there is enough new material to warrant adding new edition to my library. I did find the first edition to be a paragon of clear and concise writing. In this time of rapid change, I tend to buy every second edition of software related books. It's time for me to buy Martin Evening's LR 6 book when it comes out. I do presume that he will be updating it.

Best regards,

Bill

dwswager

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 12:16:21 pm »

For those that own the original book, What is the print size like?

I'm 50 and do not wear glasses (actually have great eyesight for my age according to my doctor), but I recently purchased a D810 book that has text small enough that I struggle to read it or I have to use magnifying glasses.  I miss the old 8x11 Amphoto books!

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 12:24:25 pm »

For those that own the original book, What is the print size like?

I'm 50 and do not wear glasses (actually have great eyesight for my age according to my doctor), but I recently purchased a D810 book that has text small enough that I struggle to read it or I have to use magnifying glasses.  I miss the old 8x11 Amphoto books!

Very easy to read. You could also consider the Kindle e-book version which I assume will be available also for this edition.

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 06:12:15 pm »

Geez, Jeff -- I hope you're feeling better.  Interesting about the other reason.  I was wondering if there would have to be an arrangement to delay publishing until the software shipped.

Schewe

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 01:08:29 am »

I am sorry to hear that you experienced health issues in January, and I hope for a speedy and full recovery.

January pretty much sucked. I went into the ER for a pain in the groin...it turns out I had an abdominal aortic aneurism that ruptured while I was in the hospital (by great fortune). I was out after 3 days after a minimally invasive procedure and went home. Those with medical knowledge knows this was a serious situation!.

I was home for 4 days until I felt shortness of breath where upon I went back into the hospital for what turned out to be pulmonary embolisms (blood clots on the lung). It was also serious...but had a procedure to reduce the clots which worked well (although the darn doctor took a sheep's clipper to my beard). But I spent the next few weeks dealing with the medical team trying to arrive at a proper medical prescription to deal with the fact that since my surgery (where they gave me the blood thinner Heparin) initial doses of Heparin actually made the blood clots worse...I was allergic to Heparin :~)

However, I have survived two serious issues (I now only have 7 lives left) and I'm working at getting back into a better condition. Walking on a treadmill (cause Chicago had a ton of snow in Feb) which was going well until I stubbed the heck out of a toe last week and could barely walk :~)

So, the publishers were nice enough to give me slack regarding the book which came in handy because all the rumored release date of LR 6 are totally bogus (for reason I can't mention due to my NDA of course).

While some have preordered your new book, I will wait until it comes out to determine if there is enough new material to warrant adding new edition to my library.

Yep, understood...and I'll try to add enough new stuff that will be useful to know due to new features & functions as well as stuff I've learned since the 1st edition came out!

Tony Jay

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 02:00:22 am »

January pretty much sucked. I went into the ER for a pain in the groin...it turns out I had an abdominal aortic aneurism that ruptured while I was in the hospital (by great fortune). I was out after 3 days after a minimally invasive procedure and went home. Those with medical knowledge knows this was a serious situation!.

I was home for 4 days until I felt shortness of breath where upon I went back into the hospital for what turned out to be pulmonary embolisms (blood clots on the lung). It was also serious...but had a procedure to reduce the clots which worked well (although the darn doctor took a sheep's clipper to my beard). But I spent the next few weeks dealing with the medical team trying to arrive at a proper medical prescription to deal with the fact that since my surgery (where they gave me the blood thinner Heparin) initial doses of Heparin actually made the blood clots worse...I was allergic to Heparin :~)

However, I have survived two serious issues (I now only have 7 lives left) and I'm working at getting back into a better condition. Walking on a treadmill (cause Chicago had a ton of snow in Feb) which was going well until I stubbed the heck out of a toe last week and could barely walk :~)

So, the publishers were nice enough to give me slack regarding the book which came in handy because all the rumored release date of LR 6 are totally bogus (for reason I can't mention due to my NDA of course).

Yep, understood...and I'll try to add enough new stuff that will be useful to know due to new features & functions as well as stuff I've learned since the 1st edition came out!
Sorry to hear about your tale of woe Jeff.
I trust that you are fighting fit now with no long-term issues.

Tony Jay

Schewe

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 02:08:12 am »

I trust that you are fighting fit now with no long-term issues.

Well, other than the fact I will prolly be on blood thinners for life (hopefully not like Chris Bosh the pro NBA player from Miami that also had PE's) I will prolly be ok...I'm on a "Flexitorian" diet (means primarily plant based diet both with fish and even meat on occasion).

We all face challenges when we get old...at age 61, I'm paying for the extravagances of youth.

But I'm pretty motivated to last a while longer (even if it's only to be a pain in the ass of some people who really deserve it).

:~)

Tony Jay

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 04:20:40 am »

...But I'm pretty motivated to last a while longer (even if it's only to be a pain in the ass of some people who really deserve it).
LOL!
Yes, actually having an attitude like that probably is an important as a bucket of pills.
(I am not dismissing the importance of medication here - I prescribe bucket loads of the stuff myself.)

Tony Jay
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 05:03:47 am by Tony Jay »

Manoli

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 04:50:10 am »

We all face challenges when we get old...at age 61, I'm paying for the extravagances of youth.

Delete 'when we get old' - insert 'as we approach middle age'.
We're born in the same year but last time I looked I'm 38!

All best for a full recovery,
M

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 07:42:45 am »

Well, other than the fact I will prolly be on blood thinners for life (hopefully not like Chris Bosh the pro NBA player from Miami that also had PE's) I will prolly be ok...I'm on a "Flexitorian" diet (means primarily plant based diet both with fish and even meat on occasion).

But I'm pretty motivated to last a while longer (even if it's only to be a pain in the ass of some people who really deserve it).

Hi Jeff,

May the next seven lives be long, healthy and productive.

Cheers,

Mark

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 11:29:19 am »

Live long and prosper my friend.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

JimGoshorn

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 06:47:25 pm »

Best wishes for your recovery.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 06:51:59 pm »

... last time I looked I'm 38!...

With 23 years of experience?  ;)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 07:37:02 pm »

With 23 years of experience?  ;)

Some people start young  :-)

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 07:24:03 am »

Hiya Jeff!! I thought that red wine was a pretty good blood thinner :)
  Seriously, best wishes for you going forward and do take care of yourself!

Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up