Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adventures in double-sided printing  (Read 1523 times)

John V.

Adventures in double-sided printing
« on: March 17, 2015, 04:51:18 pm »

Fun stuff. Client has a bunch of mailers to be printed on 17x22 sheets.

1) Any tips on getting the prints to line up on both sides? They need to be cut out as well as folded down the middle, so things need to be accurate. The Epson 11880 seems to offset the images just a tad (front vs back), though this could be my error when loading the sheets. I might build some sort of temporary "jig" to help ensure sheets are being loaded consistently. Assuming the sheets are loaded consistently, should the machine keep things lined up? Or is there some tolerance for error when the printer is doing its thing to get the sheets into position?

2) I also have a 4900 and I'm thinking about experimenting with the cassette feed. The top feed on the 4900 I don't think would give the accuracy I need. It seems to be here and there when getting the paper into position (I may be wrong here, going off memory). Would the cassette feed work better for me here you think? This would mean I'd need some thinner paper I believe... So far I've been working with ~300gsm for the testing.

Assuming I'm able to get the prints lined up, front and back...

Here's my other problem...

So far I've experimented with Epson Hot Press and Red River double sided matte, both using MK. On the 11880 I'm getting roller marks (with both papers) on the already printed side. Some of the images have black backgrounds and they are very touchy.

3) Would a PK paper be less prone to damage? Or is MK going to be better for me?

Red River has a bunch of reviews on their website about this paper with people printing calenders, books, whatever, and I didn't see any mention of roller marks being a problem... so I suppose my first step should be to clean the rollers to make sure they're gunk-free...

4) Given what I'm trying to accomplish here, anyone have an pros/cons as to which machine I should be using for this project?

Should I just send this job to the commercial printer up the street? lol. I'll have to do a 100+ of these things...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 05:22:54 pm by John Drew »

disneytoy

Re: Adventures in double-sided printing
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 05:07:38 pm »

I'll be following this. I know alignment is a big issue.

I want to do a duo book on 10mil semigloss I have. Haven't tried to align things yet. This may be a job for a sheet feed printer rather than a big bow. Though I have seen videos of 9890s being used commercially to print photo books.

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 05:50:58 pm »

Sub it out!

Unless you are you client, and you're selling your printing services, then this is (IMHO) a job for a commercial printer.

If you are intent on doing it, then I'd say the little Epson would be an advantage as you are removed as a variable in the sheet loading. You Just need to calculate the offset to get the faces to match, and then return to restock paper (and hopefully not ink). Our old office MFC did a reasonable job of A3 300gsm at a cost pf 20-30p ( $0.50) (OK, I did profile it to the best of my i1's ability..). A local repro shop should only be 3-4X the price.

John V.

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 09:12:41 pm »

I'll answer my own question here.

The 4900 using the paper cassette wins.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 11:52:35 pm »

Matte duo gets scuffed. Go with gloss black ink for durability.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 02:19:31 pm »

I think Geroldo has had some experience in this if not mistaken.  Or there was someone who made these nice greeting cards and used dbl side printing.

yes, this is something of interest, but i wonder what media is available for output like luster/satin, etc.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 04:58:02 pm »

I think Geroldo has had some experience in this if not mistaken.  Or there was someone who made these nice greeting cards and used dbl side printing.

yes, this is something of interest, but i wonder what media is available for output like luster/satin, etc.

It was not me, but I think I read that also. Usually I avoid double sided printing as much as possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up