Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple question about using a Nikon Teleconverter  (Read 1333 times)

Codger

Simple question about using a Nikon Teleconverter
« on: March 17, 2015, 03:40:33 pm »

I have a bullet-proof old Nikon 80-200 f2.8 I really like using, and I'm expecting to add the 24-70 f2.8 to my kit soon.  I'm interested in the Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III, expecting to gain some reach and versatility.  I'm presuming this new model of the TC is compatible with both lenses and will maintain all functionality with my D610 body.  Is there anything I should know before buying the TC?

Paul Gessler

Re: Simple question about using a Nikon Teleconverter
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 03:48:13 pm »

Check here: http://www.nikonusa.com/en_INC/IMG/Assets/Common-Assets/Images/Teleconverter-Compatibility/EN_Comp_chart.html

You haven't said which 80-200 you have, but if you have an AF-S TC, you only get AF if you also have the AF-S lens.

The 24-70 is not compatible with any Nikon teleconverters. (Without warranty-voiding modifications, that is.)

Codger

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 04:17:23 pm »

Thanks, Paul.  That chart is a great resource.  It looks like I lucked into a perfect union with my late-model 80-200 f2.8.

dwswager

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 11:04:30 am »

I have a bullet-proof old Nikon 80-200 f2.8 I really like using, and I'm expecting to add the 24-70 f2.8 to my kit soon.  I'm interested in the Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III, expecting to gain some reach and versatility.  I'm presuming this new model of the TC is compatible with both lenses and will maintain all functionality with my D610 body.  Is there anything I should know before buying the TC?

I shot for 17 years with the 3rd generation (1st with a tripod foot) 80-200mm f/2.8 EDIF.  It is a great lens, built like a tank and somewhat smaller than the current 70-200s!  Image quality is very good and I think it actually has a better look to the image than the newer models.  And it is a bargain at less than half the price of the 70-200mm.

geezerhood

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 12:16:36 pm »

The Kenko top of the line TC works amazingly well on that lens for what it cost.
I get autofocus with all my Nikon lenses. Not sure if that is the case with the Nikon one.

Here is a page that compares the two of them with some sample images. The Nikon has the edge over the Kenko, particularly at f8 / f11, which was not surprising. The color rendition of the Nikon was also better.  But the Kenko does fairly well considering the $140 price plus it will work on more lenses I think.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-tc-20e-iii-teleconverter-v-kenko-teleplus-pro300-2x-dgx--review-14748
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 12:12:08 am by geezerhood »

Petrus

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 12:39:35 pm »

I have no experience with Nikon 2X converters, but the general consensus seems to be that those are not ideal for both quality and autofocus speed (or working at all) reasons. At least the 2X Canon converter I used to have was quite bad while 1.4X was great. How about the Nikkor 1.7X version, that seems to work quite well, I have one of those.
Pages: [1]   Go Up