Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tiffen apeX 10-stop IRND Hot Mirror filter questions  (Read 2020 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Tiffen apeX 10-stop IRND Hot Mirror filter questions
« on: March 17, 2015, 10:11:46 am »

The 77mm screw-mount version of these is on order but was wondering, has anyone else here has already used one? If so what do you think, and what were your results? Are you using it with Nikon or Canon cameras, PhaseOne or Hasselblad backs and if so which ones and with which lenses?

I have been using the B+W 10-stop ND filter and would like to get away from the warmish tint from IR  light contaminating the overall color response. Thank you.

Edit: The Tiffen apeX filter should arrive Wednesday so I'll have some samples  after a week or so.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 11:15:01 am by Ellis Vener »

mkihne

Re: Tiffen apeX 10-stop IRND Hot Mirror filter questions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 04:11:27 pm »

Not much help but I just purchased the Formatt HiTech firecrest filters in 10 and 16 stop flavors. Just got back from vacation so haven't post processed any images but supposed to be very neutral. Very thin mount but aluminum....wish they were brass.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 11:29:06 pm »

i did a quick test this afternoon comparing the Tiffen apeX 10-stop IRND Hot Mirror to  the B+W 10-stop ND.  The B+W outperformed it in terms of both native color balance and ability to correct the color balance to  a pleasing "neutral" compared to an unfiltered reference shot made at the same time. Subject was a view off of my back dyard deck with lots of sky trees and some buildings. This was a rough test and I will need to repeat it with more rigor, but for right now, I'm very disappointed in the apeX.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 06:30:18 am »

i did a quick test this afternoon comparing the Tiffen apeX 10-stop IRND Hot Mirror to  the B+W 10-stop ND.  The B+W outperformed it in terms of both native color balance and ability to correct the color balance to  a pleasing "neutral" compared to an unfiltered reference shot made at the same time. Subject was a view off of my back dyard deck with lots of sky trees and some buildings. This was a rough test and I will need to repeat it with more rigor, but for right now, I'm very disappointed in the apeX.

Hi Ellis,

Sorry to hear about the remaining color balance issue, but thanks for the follow-up/feedback since this color balance issue is a significant challenge with these high density filters, and we can learn from eachother's experiences. The results might differ a bit between camera brands/models, depending on the filterstack used in the camera body.

I've found both the Lee Bigstopper (requires the Lee filter holder/hood system) and the Haida Pro II (relatively affordable lens screw in filter) Neutral density filters well correctable. I purchased the Haida through Amazon.com. The B+W tends to be hard to correct (leaving a brownish cast), presumably due to the IR transmission.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 05:06:41 pm »

Regarding hot mirror IR blocking filters...

My experience is from motion picture cameras. The hot mirror works to block IR in the RED cameras , but not on Arri Alexa cameras as each sensor configuration requires blocking different wavelengths. Perhaps this filter does not block the correct wavelengths for your camera?

Getting strong ND filters that look neutral, and block IR is a real challenge!
If you find a good solution let me know :)
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up