Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rodenstock 35 mm green line  (Read 8051 times)

Lorenzo Pierucci

• Work hard & be nice to people
    • Lorenzo Pierucci Studio
Rodenstock 35 mm green line
« on: March 17, 2015, 03:37:39 am »

Hi everybody,

i tried to look on the forum but i did not find a specific topic on the difference between the purple and green line Rodenstock.

I know the purple are dedicated to modern digital back, 33 MP up.

Im actually using a 22 Valeo, and i was considering purchasing on eBay a 35 mm Rod green line. But before do that i was want to ask if someone have experience with it on 22 MP MF sensor ( or even 33 as probably i will upgrade to a Aptus 2 soon... clients permitting ;)   )

If everyone have some experience to share will be much appreciated !

thanks

Lorenzo

PS: link to the lens I'm looking at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rodenstock-Apo-Grandagon-4-5-35mm-lens-selected-by-Linhof-first-owner-boxed-/291402641748?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_212&hash=item43d8f37154
Work hard & be nice to people

JoeKitchen

Re: Rodenstock 35 mm green line
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 08:34:58 am »

The difference is most likely film vs digital lens. 

Many of the first tech camera lenses put out for digital are just rehashed film lenses with different coatings.  The Rodenstock 35mm was released over a decade ago, so this is probably the difference. 

The Rodenstock 35mm is not that great of a lens from what I have read.  It has a small IC and sharpness falloff. 

If you can get the Schneider 35mm, go for that instead.  I use it all the time and it is exceptional. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 10:56:42 am »

It looks like one of the older/film lenses, but on a 22MP back, you might have a great solution. 

As Joe mentioned, the 35SK is more modern (Schneider) and has a 90mm IC, which on your back will allow for huge shifts, as I know of folks shifting this lens up to 18mm on a 39MP P45+. 
You will need a physical Center filter for the Schneider to help correct the light fall off even on center with no movements.  This becomes even worse with movements.

The 35 HR, IMO is a great lens, but is limited by it's 70mm Image circle, so it's not going to allow for large movements, much past 10mm on your back maybe less.   The 35HR's I have used in the field are excellent on center and shifted, but the limit of the IC makes them not very popular now.  No center filter is needed on this lens however. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Lorenzo Pierucci

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 11:25:54 am »

Thanks so much guys, this was exactly what i need to hear.

:)

JoeKitchen

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 01:08:17 pm »

I just noticed the US price and it is reasonably priced (initially I thought the large bold number was in US$).  If it is as good as Paul states (sharp without much falloff in regards to sharpness and light) and you do not need to shift too much, this may be a good lens to get.  You also do not need a CF, which can be a plus. 

The SK35mm will be a little more than double used (including the cost of the CF), and about triple brand new.  You will get more shift with the SK than the Roddie and it is a better lens, but if you are thinking about upgrading to another back that does not use a Kodak sensor, it may not be worth it. 

If you upgrade to anything but the P45+ or Hassy 50 MP back, you will need to sell either lens regardless and purchase the Rodenstock 40mm to achieve the same angle of view.  (I assume from looking at the lens image, the Roddie is full symmetrical too, or very close to it, which means there will be bad lens cast with any back using a Dalsa sensor.)  With the Roddie 35, your initial investment is less and you will loose less when you go to sell. 

"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 03:51:17 am »

Guys I think you're confusing this lens with some of the other Redenstocks...
This is the old analogue 4x5" grandagon with 125mm IC and 4.5 max aperture. It should play very nicely with the Valeo 22 and with higher resolution backs...
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

RomanN.

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 10:18:24 am »

Hi Lorenzo,

first: difference between the purple and green line Rodenstock- there is no differences! Rodenstock changes the colours for better determination between the lens lines. Thera are no differances.

I know the purple are dedicated to modern digital back, 33 MP - totaly wrong!

All Apo Sironar digital 4,5/35 mm are 120 ° design made for 6x9 film first and named Apo Grandagon 120 °.The digital version is only better calibrated for digital back, their calibration added the existance of the filter in front of the chip.
The 120° optical design is not best for digital backs, therefore the schneider 102° (traditional Biogon- Super angulon design) have better resolution at larger aperture. The bigger imege circle of the roddi is a advantage for film but a disadvantage for little digital chips when the resolution power is much more impotrant than the image circle.
But the 35 Roddi will still work well with 39 and 50 mln backs (Kodak chip). I use it with  39 mln back and the schneider 35 xl is better but the roddi not bad and used right gives better results than any Hasselbladand mamiya wides.  The optimal aperture for the Roddi is 11,5 and 16 when you use movements.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 10:49:16 am »

Hi Lorenzo,

first: difference between the purple and green line Rodenstock- there is no differences! Rodenstock changes the colours for better determination between the lens lines. Thera are no differances.

I know the purple are dedicated to modern digital back, 33 MP - totaly wrong!

All Apo Sironar digital 4,5/35 mm are 120 ° design made for 6x9 film first and named Apo Grandagon 120 °.The digital version is only better calibrated for digital back, their calibration added the existance of the filter in front of the chip.
The 120° optical design is not best for digital backs, therefore the schneider 102° (traditional Biogon- Super angulon design) have better resolution at larger aperture. The bigger imege circle of the roddi is a advantage for film but a disadvantage for little digital chips when the resolution power is much more impotrant than the image circle.
But the 35 Roddi will still work well with 39 and 50 mln backs (Kodak chip). I use it with  39 mln back and the schneider 35 xl is better but the roddi not bad and used right gives better results than any Hasselbladand mamiya wides.  The optimal aperture for the Roddi is 11,5 and 16 when you use movements.

Roman,  there appears to be quite a difference between the purple (I tend to call it pink), 35mm's  
I can't seem them being the same at all.    As has been mentioned by you and others, the Green band is the older film lens, and has totally different front and rear elements and more than likely all internal.  It also has a large IC than the 35H which is only 70mm.  

If you go back to the OP's first post, take a look at the link which shows the lens he is asking about, then compare it to the images I have attached.  They are not the same at all.  Optical quality of the 35 HR will be much better IMO for a digital back.  

Sincerely
Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

RomanN.

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 04:31:51 pm »

Hi Paul,
the lens that you show is not Apo Sironar Digital 4,5/35 mm!!!( 8 elements classic symetrical wide angle. This lens, like all wide angle of apo sironar dgital had first a green ring, than rodenstock start to use the pink ring: same lens with both different colours)
The lens you show is the Digaron S 4/35 mm, absolutly different lens, retrofocus, 14 elements.
The Digaron S was called first Apo Sironar HR. All HR lenses are now renamed to Digaron S, or with bigger image circles to Digaron W.
The Digarons/ Sironars HR have absolutly nothing in common with the Apo Sironar Digitals.
The digaron S 4/35 mm will deliver highest resolution with all backs but have as you wrote only 70 mm image circle, that will give no real space for movements. It will be a very fine lens for the small chips like Sonys 50 mln back.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 05:03:48 pm »

Roman.

Thanks. I thought that only the HR series came with the pink/purple bands.

Paul

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Lorenzo Pierucci

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 12:17:53 pm »

Hi Paul,
the lens that you show is not Apo Sironar Digital 4,5/35 mm!!!( 8 elements classic symetrical wide angle. This lens, like all wide angle of apo sironar dgital had first a green ring, than rodenstock start to use the pink ring: same lens with both different colours)
The lens you show is the Digaron S 4/35 mm, absolutly different lens, retrofocus, 14 elements.
The Digaron S was called first Apo Sironar HR. All HR lenses are now renamed to Digaron S, or with bigger image circles to Digaron W.
The Digarons/ Sironars HR have absolutly nothing in common with the Apo Sironar Digitals.
The digaron S 4/35 mm will deliver highest resolution with all backs but have as you wrote only 70 mm image circle, that will give no real space for movements. It will be a very fine lens for the small chips like Sonys 50 mln back.

Thanks again Roman u always on spot!

will get one of those then and update how it was, i found my self very well wit the 55 mm purple/pink. But all the time is a 8/9 frame stitching. Im ok with interior as i basically dont have to post ( with the D800 a lot of post is necessary... ) a 35 will be great so i can get a one shoot solution

thanks again guys !
Pages: [1]   Go Up