Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some flower samples with different lenses  (Read 1610 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Some flower samples with different lenses
« on: March 16, 2015, 03:26:13 pm »

Hi,

I published some flower shots with some different lenses here:
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/FlowerSamples/

Three shots with a Zeiss Macro Planar 120/4 at f/8, a Minolta 100/2.7 AF macro at f/8 and a Sony 70-400/4-5.6 at f/11 showing the same flowers. Click on the each image for an actual pixels crop. All these shot on Sony Alpha 99.

Added are also a real world image with 70-400/4-5.6 at 400mm and an 1.4 extender at f/11 and an another image shot with a Sonnar 180/4 on a Hasselblad with a P45+ back.

Raw images are included with all samples.

Nothing like Michael Erlewines excellent images but may illustrate the differences between more common lenses.

Fun: There is a small spider on the Hasselblad shot, see below…

Best regards
Erik
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 03:30:36 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Some flower samples with different lenses
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 02:00:45 am »

Hi,

I am very interested in a large aperture short telephoto lens. I have noticed that almost all lenses in my possession have significant amount of axial chroma, the one that causes magenta/green fringing in out of focus areas. The two lenses I own right now that show little/none of this are the Sony 70-400/4-5.6 and the Minolta 400/4.5 APO. This fringing tends to be insignificant when stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8.

Of the lenses I am aware of that are well corrected the Zeiss Apo Sonnar 2/135 is the one that seems most attractive to it is reasonably priced and seems to perform very well.

So, that lens is now on top of my "short list" on the next lens to buy. I would be more interested in a lens around 85 mm, and here we have the mighty Otus, but I don't need f/1.4.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 12:53:06 pm »

Just curious why you would shoot flowers in direct, harsh sunlight ... rather than in softer, early-morning (or overcast) light ???

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 01:20:00 pm »

Actually, the harsh light is a good stress test for aberration issues.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 01:48:24 pm »

Nancy and John,

It is much about me being a lazy dog. I seldom do many MPH in the mornings. On the other hand, Nancy is right,  four of these images were intended to find out about the lenses. The poppy shot was really a part of a test shot training using T&S (Tilt and Shift), I shot some images with long telephoto, and those were the only ones that were useful.

At the apertures used here, I found that bokeh was decent with all lenses. Unfortunately, focusing is not identical.

Best regards
Erik

Actually, the harsh light is a good stress test for aberration issues.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up