Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Riverscape  (Read 1036 times)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Riverscape
« on: March 16, 2015, 09:11:54 am »

Yesterday I explored the south fork of the the Merced River.  At first we were a bit disappointed by how dry it already is here in California, but then we found this. 

Isaac

Re: Riverscape
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 01:34:01 pm »

HSakols

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 03:07:27 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if our Merced River dries up in sections this Summer.  Fire season for Californians is just around the corner and it is going to be nasty in the mountains. Believe it or not we are having spring right now and summer should start sometime in April if we don't get any rain.  Thanks for looking.  I can't wait to print this one!

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 08:50:38 am »

As this is in User Critiques, don't write my comments off as curmudgeonly...

I think I'm missing what you see in this photograph: a green,herbaceous plant set against rock, albeit textured and very interesting rock with some great lines. As an objective viewer, though, this concept seems pretty common and can be found in a number of places whether a river is in full spate or dried up. With no context, this is "any river", so the fact there is greenery in, from what I gather, a dry year, to me anyway, is meaningless without context. And context should be provided by the photograph, not a written commentary.

Try going wider to actually show us a riverscape and not just a plant with rocks. If the riverscape is dry, then this plant has more meaning than it has in this iteration. If you get down closer to the plant level (rather than shooting down to it) and "place" it less centrally, the green plant becomes a foreground anchor in the wider, drier, more austere landscape.

Also, processing to slightly accentuate the green-ness of the plant, de-saturating the rock say 20 to 40%, and slightly brightening the photograph overall may help to give it more impact as well by accentuating your intent. I keep using the word "slightly" because often that's all it takes.

My 2 cents, anyway.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

HSakols

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 10:38:36 am »

Thank you Terry for the thoughtful critique.  I think I see what you mean, especially the point of view.  I don't think Riverscape is the best title.  I think I was more mesmerized by the lines, textures, and colors.  The scene was back lit.  This weekend I hope to photograph the river again downstream a bit. 

Best regards,
Hugh
Pages: [1]   Go Up