Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem using Color Checker Passport  (Read 8542 times)

BillS2

Problem using Color Checker Passport
« on: March 15, 2015, 04:45:13 pm »

I had a problem using CCP to create a dual illuminant profile for the D810. When I loaded the two images to CCP, it seemed to load the first image ok and gave various error messages on the second image:
"Cannot open file. Not a valid DNG file"
"Out of memory error, Abort?, Retry?, Ignore?"
"Crop error, Cannot detect crop marks" - this one with the CCP LR plugin.

Using the same two images, I could create single illuminant profiles with both CCP and the LR plugin. I could also create dual illuminant profiles using Adobe DNG Profile Editor.

The two images I used were full resolution 36MP.

Eventually, I tried reducing the raw file capture size to 2456x3680 (9MP). When I did this, both CCP and the LR plugin created dual illuminant profiles with no problems.

I was also able to create dual illuminant profiles with my D750 (24MP) with no problems.

I can only surmise that maybe the CCP software has some internal memory constraints that cause it to fail with large files. My desktop processor has 32GB ram, and I am running Windows 8.1.

I'm just curious if anyone else has encountered this issue?

Thanks,
Bill Siler

Simon Garrett

Re: Problem using Color Checker Passport
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 07:27:50 pm »

I had a problem using CCP to create a dual illuminant profile for the D810. When I loaded the two images to CCP, it seemed to load the first image ok and gave various error messages on the second image:
"Cannot open file. Not a valid DNG file"
"Out of memory error, Abort?, Retry?, Ignore?"
"Crop error, Cannot detect crop marks" - this one with the CCP LR plugin.

Using the same two images, I could create single illuminant profiles with both CCP and the LR plugin. I could also create dual illuminant profiles using Adobe DNG Profile Editor.

The two images I used were full resolution 36MP.

Eventually, I tried reducing the raw file capture size to 2456x3680 (9MP). When I did this, both CCP and the LR plugin created dual illuminant profiles with no problems.

I was also able to create dual illuminant profiles with my D750 (24MP) with no problems.

I can only surmise that maybe the CCP software has some internal memory constraints that cause it to fail with large files. My desktop processor has 32GB ram, and I am running Windows 8.1.

I'm just curious if anyone else has encountered this issue?

Thanks,
Bill Siler

Yes, it's a bug and they've known about it since the D800 was launched 3 years ago.  It affects creating dual-illuminant profiles with image sizes greater than about 24 Mpixel.  The easiest work-around is to set the D800/800E/810 to DX crop when you want dual-illuminant profiles.  It's irritating, as it's probably a very trivial change to increase an array size or memory allocation to fix it. 

IMHO xrite are a shining example of the principle that companies generally can make good software or good hardware but not both (Apple being the obvious exception).  Xrite can do hardware, but they can't do software, and show little interest when you point out problems. 

BillS2

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 10:35:15 pm »

Simon,

Thanks for the info.

I can live with the limitation, but I concur that it should be an easy fix - especially given the length of time since it became known.

Thanks again,
Bill

jwlimages

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 05:48:18 pm »

I see this same kind of failure trying to use ColorChecker Passport to create profiles for my Pentax 645z.

I don't know of any option to have the camera create lower-res or cropped DNGs (doing this in LR doesn't help). To make this even more frustrating, somehow I was able to CCP to work *once*, but cannot duplicate the success, no matter what I try. The error messages are just "unable to create profile" from the LR plug-in, or "cannot detect crop marks" from the free-standing app (in the latter case, the app shows the CC Passport image, with corner points properly selected).

Anyone have a tip for how to get this software to work with Pentax DNGs?

Thanks,

John

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 11:52:56 pm »

Yes, it's a bug and they've known about it since the D800 was launched 3 years ago. 

Actually, the bug has been there since the software was released...I tried to use it for my P1 P65+ and it failed with memory errors. For some reason X-Rite simply hasn't been able to get around to fixing issues with large raw files. Which is why I use the Adobe Profile Editor (which while still technically a beta) is more full featured anyway. YMMV...

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 08:25:50 pm »

I posted a question about the same product and it seems to be a very unsupported product. I have just bought the Datacolor Spydercheckr 24 and will give that a go.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 09:35:06 pm by BobShaw »
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 08:37:04 pm »

Xrite can do hardware, but they can't do software, and show little interest when you point out problems.

Ain't this the truth.
~ CB

AlterEgo

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 11:30:24 am »

I posted a question about the same product and it seems to be a very unsupported product. I have just bought the Datacolor Spydercheckr 24 and will give that a go.
you know that their software does not make dcp profiles at all
Pages: [1]   Go Up