Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to create dust,dirt and hair free environment to spray varnish prints  (Read 10868 times)

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net

Premier Art Print Shield is da bomb in that regards.  Especially if you get a flash explosion sparked by your fan switch in an enclosed area.  Whole factories have blown up that way.  Tread lightly.  There are a lot of practical problems, and your neighbors will hate you.

Premier and the Hahn spray and probably others labeled as "For Inkjet Prints" are all about the same.  Watco Clear Lacquer spray from Lowe's is a good approximation of the look, but I don't know how that stuff will age.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com

I agree that one should only use a proper spraying room and a really good respirator when using solvent based coatings. That stuff is lethal in so many ways. In the spray rooms I used, all the light fixtures were double sealed so that vapor could not get near them and if a light failed, no spark could enter the room unless there was a major catastrophe that broke 2 layers of enclosures. The fans were designed to not permit sparks to enter the environment or air flow, and even electrical switches and outlets, + the air compressor were all located well outside the spray room.

Bill, once the coatings you use have cured, how tolerant are they for the ability to clean with a damp cloth or stronger cleaners?

Jglaser757

Well, i just finished varnishing a print. I am sorry to say that their is a huge learning curve and has been quite costly. I have done the same print 5 times getting it right. But, its been good practice and I used up almost all of the solvent varnish from clear jet..Since Bill recommended water based, i have decided to follow his lead.. I ordered a gallon of the clear shield water based varnish and will try it out.

I cant believe how many human errors i made. Besides the schmutz, I ended up reprinting because of a color cast. Then i was putting a second coat on when i noticed that the sprayer with dirty and was spitting out droplets. So i cleaned it, then checked it out and turned up the flow because i saw no mist.. Everything checked out ok and when I went to spray the second coat it came out way to thick. The varnish started to run and thats when I realized I forgot to turn down the flow rate..argghhhh..

ITs all good now though!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up