Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caernarfon Castle  (Read 3309 times)

Miles Middlebrook

• 5% of Gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Caernarfon Castle
« on: March 14, 2015, 03:59:16 pm »

This is the first in my series of the great Welsh castles; Conwy, Caernarfon and Harlech. This one is Caernarfon, taken using my technique to try and keep the perspective true whilst giving a wide angle view.

Part of my work with Building Panoramics

Isaac

Re: Caernarfon Castle
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 04:03:49 pm »

Welsh castles? On the contrary.

Miles Middlebrook

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 04:09:56 pm »

Welsh castles? On the contrary.

;D

Haha ! Yes you are right. Edward I built them to keep the Welsh in line, but they are now referred to as Welsh castles !

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 05:09:30 pm »

Looks good to me

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 06:14:12 pm »

looks good
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

francois

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 01:39:49 pm »

Francois

Miles Middlebrook

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 04:07:46 am »

Many thanks for your comments guys - appreciated.

SanderKikkert

• flickr
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 06:17:37 am »

The technique (I'm guessing a 50mm in portrait orientation pano ?) worked well, very nice image. Regards, Sander

Miles Middlebrook

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 08:12:53 am »

The technique (I'm guessing a 50mm in portrait orientation pano ?) worked well, very nice image. Regards, Sander

Many thanks for that Sander. Yes you are exactly right; I used a 50mm lens ( an old but excellent @ infinity Nikkor f/2 to be precise) on a FF camera in portrait. Five frame pano. For me this works better than taking the middle out of an 20mm shot.

SanderKikkert

• flickr
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 09:01:42 am »

Thanks Miles, I like doing that with my ancient Pentax K 50 1.2 as well, albeit for now on APS-C only, can't wait until Pentax comes with that FF as expected end of the year and I'll be able to use the whole view this 50 offers :)
Cheers, Sander

Miles Middlebrook

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 11:39:54 am »

Thanks Miles, I like doing that with my ancient Pentax K 50 1.2 as well, albeit for now on APS-C only, can't wait until Pentax comes with that FF as expected end of the year and I'll be able to use the whole view this 50 offers :)
Cheers, Sander

A Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.2 ? I'm jealous !  ;) I'm a Takumar fan, just love the 55mm f/1.8, but it is not at its best at infinity.

Yes I believe Pentax are bringing out a FF camera at the end of this year. I hope so because I have many happy memories of Pentax including the great, but quirky 6x7. I might even get one to use my old Pentax lenses on  :)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 08:33:44 am »

Very nice. Excellent shooting technique and good composition.

Two critiques:
1. The bright houses to the right of the castle draw my attention away in a slightly distracting way. I know they provide context, but might serve your purpose better if they were toned down.
2. Overall the photograph seems contrasty. I know it is late in the day (or early?) but there seems to be enough light kicking around for the shadows to be a little more open at the base of the harbour wall and below the boat in the bottom right.

Great mud, by the way! The texture is amazing.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Miles Middlebrook

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 02:58:16 pm »

Very nice. Excellent shooting technique and good composition.

Two critiques:
1. The bright houses to the right of the castle draw my attention away in a slightly distracting way. I know they provide context, but might serve your purpose better if they were toned down.
2. Overall the photograph seems contrasty. I know it is late in the day (or early?) but there seems to be enough light kicking around for the shadows to be a little more open at the base of the harbour wall and below the boat in the bottom right.

Great mud, by the way! The texture is amazing.

Thanks for commenting Terry. The houses on the right were reflecting the evening sun straight back at camera, especially the White one, and I had infact shot a faster exposure for that, and those houses in the picture are from that faster exposure. However I agree with you, but that's how it was.

Regarding the shadows, if I look at the picture on my iPad they do look a little black, but not so much on my editing imac even though it is set up for printing so the screen luminance is set very low. They were shadows within shadows really; the whole of the foreground was in shadow anyway, and the EV of the sunlit part was quite high, so really I have tried to keep this image within the range of a single exposure ( even though it actually wasn't) because I don't like the 'HDR' look. However I agree they could be a little less dense, there is plenty of latitude in the file.

Yes, the mud was great. All it needed was a couple of women mud wrestling in it, but unfortunately I can't have everything !  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up