Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Found about this!!!  (Read 4837 times)

greyscale

Just Found about this!!!
« on: March 14, 2015, 11:16:07 am »

:)
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/us/html/portablessdt1/overview.html

Looks nice and small, with USB3 direct to  (Nikon) or other camera. I'm waiting to read some reviews before I pull the trigger on one of these.

greyscale

Peter McLennan

Re: Just Found about this!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 05:12:35 pm »

It's very helpful if you post the subject of the link as well as the link itself.  That way, we're not forced to click the link to see what its about.

greyscale

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 12:19:07 pm »

Sorry Peter, next post I'll mind my posting manners ;).

greyscale

Jimbo57

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 12:35:14 pm »

It's very helpful if you post the subject of the link as well as the link itself.  That way, we're not forced to click the link to see what its about.

...and equally important to use a Thread Title that gives some idea of what the thread is about - to avoid opening threads just to discover that they are of no interest.

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 11:47:13 pm »

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/us/html/portablessdt1/overview.html

Looks nice and small, with USB3 direct to  (Nikon) or other camera. I'm waiting to read some reviews before I pull the trigger on one of these.

Certainly looks like a nice option for external storage, but how would it connect directly to a camera? I see nothing in the documentation to suggest that’s possible.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 07:30:00 am »

Certainly looks like a nice option for external storage, but how would it connect directly to a camera? I see nothing in the documentation to suggest that’s possible.
It would connect via a USB port if your camera has one.  I have a Nikon D300 and there is a USB port.  However, the camera firmware would have to recognize the storage device and allow for transfer in the absence of a computer if I'm reading the OP's thinking on this.  I don't think that is possible at present and it would require the camera makers to correct this.  Clearly this would be a very nice choice for making backups when on extended field trips without the need for carrying along a computer if the configuration was set up correctly.  there would still be a problem of knowing what is on the drive in the absence of a computer to read it.  Optimally, a file viewer on a smart phone or tablet would be ideal.

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 02:24:02 am »

However, the camera firmware would have to recognize the storage device and allow for transfer in the absence of a computer if I'm reading the OP's thinking on this.  I don't think that is possible at present and it would require the camera makers to correct this.

Yes, that was my point. I read the OP as saying that he intends to buy one soon-ish for this purpose, but as far as I know, no camera currently offers this capability. And then there’s the issue of supplying power to the drive, which I doubt current DSLR USB ports will. But I was hoping the OP might know something I don’t.   :)
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 08:40:56 am »

Yes, that was my point. I read the OP as saying that he intends to buy one soon-ish for this purpose, but as far as I know, no camera currently offers this capability. And then there’s the issue of supplying power to the drive, which I doubt current DSLR USB ports will. But I was hoping the OP might know something I don’t.   :)
I've been giving this some thought.  My daughter's boyfriend is getting his doctorate in CS/EE and has written bunches of Aps for tablets.  I'm gong to see him early next month and see about the feasibility of this.  With LR available for tablets, one would think that something could be done with an external storage device such as this Samsung portable SSD.  What is not clear is the power requirements to accomplish the downloading and previews which would be the most important things in the field.
Pages: [1]   Go Up