Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rollei news  (Read 7811 times)

DanielStone

Re: Rollei news
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 05:35:52 pm »

:'(

RomanN.

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 06:00:57 pm »

Very sad and unbelievable. there is much I could write about it....

JV

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 07:33:00 pm »

Very sad news, breaks my heart...

JoeKitchen

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 09:44:39 am »

This is very sad.  Of all of the SLR type cameras available today, I felt the Hy6 was the best option in terms of design. 

It seems every SLR, whether it be Canon or Nikon or Hassy or PhaseOne, all have the same overall design.  You shoot with the camera in front of your eye and if you need to go lower than eye level (or prefer to shoot lower), you bend over and/or squat down, giving you a sore back/knees at the end of the day.  (Yes, I know Hassy has that "waist high" adapter, but it is really a joke.  You still need to place your eye over it, which means you bend your back.) 

The Hy6 was the only camera that had something different about it with the design.  I have no reason to own one with what I do, but I always wanted to have one. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Chris Valites

• Capture Integration
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 01:38:21 pm »

This is very sad.  Of all of the SLR type cameras available today, I felt the Hy6 was the best option in terms of design. 

It seems every SLR, whether it be Canon or Nikon or Hassy or PhaseOne, all have the same overall design.  You shoot with the camera in front of your eye and if you need to go lower than eye level (or prefer to shoot lower), you bend over and/or squat down, giving you a sore back/knees at the end of the day.  (Yes, I know Hassy has that "waist high" adapter, but it is really a joke.  You still need to place your eye over it, which means you bend your back.) 

The Hy6 was the only camera that had something different about it with the design.  I have no reason to own one with what I do, but I always wanted to have one. 

I really liked the Hy6. It was quirky, a little bit on the fragile side, but it was one of the best feeling cameras I ever put in my hands.
Chris Valites
Research, Marketing & Support, Capture Integration(e-mail Me)
MFDB: Phase One/Leaf-Mamiya/Hasselblad/Leica/Sinar
TechCam: Alpa/Cambo/Arca Swiss/Sinar
Direct: 716.913.7936

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 12:27:02 pm »

It can't get any more sad than this, photographically.

We have to get used to the small grounglass and peeping with just one eye.

However, no better time for the big digital groundglass. Manufacturers should embrace the mirrorless technology wether we prefer it or not. With mirrorless it is possible to imitate the 6x6 groundglass experience and much bigger if desired.

My V camera could be retrofitted with an LCD screen in lieu of the groundglass. No mirror mechanism and a digital back with full LV.

With mirrorless technology even a 24X36mm sensor could provide the WLF experience USING ALL CURRENT GLASS. It seems the technology is there regarding LCD Amoled screens.

Eduardo

DanielStone

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 12:54:31 pm »

I still get the shivers(in a good way) when I remember holding a Hy6 for the first time. My gosh, the thing was absolutely perfect! Everything was laid out to be efficient, easy to access w/o looking(at least for me), size was right, the grip could rotate depending on what finder you were using or how you preferred to articulate it. yada yada yada....

Lenses were top notch, and IMO, the ability to have a digital back that could rotate INTERNALLY was the best option for shooting outside, so you wouldn't have to expose the sensor to the elements. Great for use with the WLF as well!

If P1 were to adopt a new platform, they should buy the whole lot and adopt it as their standard platform instead of hammering away with the utterly abominable(IMO) Mamiya 645 platform... The R&D has already been done, the lenses are already there, they just need to re-up production.

just my 1¢ on the matter

-Dan

peterv

• facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 01:49:49 pm »

Sad news indeed.

Now I don't wanna open up a can of worms, but I've been reading this P1 should have adopted the Rollei/Sinar platform very often, and I'd like to understand why P1 did not. Was it that the Mamiya platform was more widely used? Were there technical reasons? Or was it - as always - just about the money?

Again, don't want to upset people, I'd just like to hear the why. Anyone know or dare to speculate?

uaiomex

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 04:48:18 pm »

I don't know why but I can speculate too. When a small pool of companies got together to create the Hy6 system, Phase One was strangely missing. If they were not invited or got rejected, that could be the cause, whatever the emotions from the P1 management.
Sweet revenge? Financial decisions that were prophetic? Who knows?

Eduardo

Sad news indeed.

Now I don't wanna open up a can of worms, but I've been reading this P1 should have adopted the Rollei/Sinar platform very often, and I'd like to understand why P1 did not. Was it that the Mamiya platform was more widely used? Were there technical reasons? Or was it - as always - just about the money?

Again, don't want to upset people, I'd just like to hear the why. Anyone know or dare to speculate?

JV

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 04:51:23 pm »

Sad news indeed.

Phase One invested in Mamiya before they acquired the Hy6 through Leaf.

Short term it perhaps was a good decision of Phase One to stick and continue with Mamiya as Frank&Heidecke had considerable financial challenges that could have impacted Phase One as well.

Long term I am not so sure...

JV

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 04:58:15 pm »

I don't know why but I can speculate too. When a small pool of companies got together to create the Hy6 system, Phase One was strangely missing. If they were not invited or got rejected, that could be the cause, whatever the emotions from the P1 management.
Sweet revenge? Financial decisions that were prophetic? Who knows?

Eduardo

When I bought my Hy6 the person from DHW told me that the reason there were no Phase One backs for the Hy6 was that the CEOs of Phase One and F&H at the time were not exactly good friends and that they could not "walk through the same door".

I am not sure whether this is true or not and whether it played a role in everything that happened...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 05:08:23 pm by JV »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 05:13:57 pm »

Perhaps it was because in the beginning Leaf signed on with DHW to develop the Hy6, and P1 signed on with Hassy to develop the H system.  Two groups of competitors going after the same market, at least at first. 

Then Hassy closed the system and bought out Inacom, which forced P1 to buy into a system already developed, Mamiya, albeit not that great.  But Mamiya was probably cheap, and the Hy6 was still a competitor with Leaf, yada, yada, yada. 

Now, of course, it is obvious the best two systems out there are the Hy6 and the H system, but that is not stopping us from loosing one. 

Sad, maybe someone will buy the rights to the system. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 09:56:57 pm »

really a pity that F&W/Rollei ended up like this.  Just to clarify history, or what I remember of it, there was a p1/rolleiflex 6008 partnership, short-lived and few but it happened.  Also danish company, Imacon, made backs for hasselblad, rollei, etc., Hasselblad at that time was still stuck in the film era, period. From what I heard it was Hasselblad that was acquired by the Imacon side, keeping the hasselblad badge for the new entity. I think the ceo of imacon became the ceo of the new hasselbad. With imacon not producing backs for the rollei system anymore and phase one siding with mamiya, rollei was left with leaf and sinar who like imacon had been making a multi platform backs. 
Sadly the F&W/Sinar/Leaf HY6 project was just too much money and too slow to roll out the gear for the dwindling pocketbooks of the photographers who where transitioning into digital and way too much for assistants wanting to break in. 
 I choose imacon/rollei when I went digital, I liked the small xact2 for view camera work, I was a long time user of schneider large format lenses, I had always liked the sl66 and 6008 cameras so switching to a modern electronic 6008 with schneider optics from my 500cm was the obvious choice. Imacon should have made the same decision but they went for the big badge not technology.  I don't have any rollei equipment now and this news makes me miss it, I still may pick up another sl66 someday and shoot some panF…for me, that camera is the epitome of a 6x6 mechanical camera, the feel, the sound, the rack and tilt focus, clockwork film advance, that is a real manual camera.
I would be surprised if we don't see another big brand leave the market very soon or scaled way back in the shadows like Sinar is under Leica ownership.

uaiomex

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 10:34:09 pm »

What hurts the most is the it would take only one true 645 cmos sensor that doesn't cost a kidney to revive 60% of all traditional medium format systems.
When it (if) finally happens, I hope it's not too late.

really a pity that F&W/Rollei ended up like this.  Just to clarify history, or what I remember of it, there was a p1/rolleiflex 6008 partnership, short-lived and few but it happened.  Also danish company, Imacon, made backs for hasselblad, rollei, etc., Hasselblad at that time was still stuck in the film era, period. From what I heard it was Hasselblad that was acquired by the Imacon side, keeping the hasselblad badge for the new entity. I think the ceo of imacon became the ceo of the new hasselbad. With imacon not producing backs for the rollei system anymore and phase one siding with mamiya, rollei was left with leaf and sinar who like imacon had been making a multi platform backs.  
Sadly the F&W/Sinar/Leaf HY6 project was just too much money and too slow to roll out the gear for the dwindling pocketbooks of the photographers who where transitioning into digital and way too much for assistants wanting to break in.  
 I choose imacon/rollei when I went digital, I liked the small xact2 for view camera work, I was a long time user of schneider large format lenses, I had always liked the sl66 and 6008 cameras so switching to a modern electronic 6008 with schneider optics from my 500cm was the obvious choice. Imacon should have made the same decision but they went for the big badge not technology.  I don't have any rollei equipment now and this news makes me miss it, I still may pick up another sl66 someday and shoot some panF…for me, that camera is the epitome of a 6x6 mechanical camera, the feel, the sound, the rack and tilt focus, clockwork film advance, that is a real manual camera.
I would be surprised if we don't see another big brand leave the market very soon or scaled way back in the shadows like Sinar is under Leica ownership.

uaiomex

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 10:56:24 pm »

BJL

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 11:46:30 pm »

... Also danish company, Imacon, made backs for hasselblad, rollei, etc., Hasselblad at that time was still stuck in the film era, period. From what I heard it was Hasselblad that was acquired by the Imacon side, keeping the hasselblad badge for the new entity. I think the ceo of imacon became the ceo of the new hasselbad. ... Imacon should have made the same decision [Rollei] but they went for the big badge not technology.
What I recall is that the same Hong Kong based company Shriro at one stage acquired controlling interests in both Hasselblad and Imacon, and arranged the merger: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasselblad#Fuji.2C_Shriro.2C_Imacon.2C_and_the_digital_age
As you say, the new company used the more prestigious Hasselblad name, but with the CEO from Imacon, and head office in the former Imacon offices in Denmark.

So Imacon probably did not have much choice of partner in that arranged marriage.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 10:02:04 am by BJL »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 01:57:16 am »

Hi,

It started with the Hasselblad & Imacon merger. The new CEO realised that it was the digital backs that generated revenue. So they closed the system, leaving MFD back makers without a good camera system to put it on. That moved Phase One into camera making. Sinar, Leaf and a company called Jenoptik decided to develop a new camera system with Frank & Heidecke that got the name Hy6.

Problem was that Frank & Heidecke went into reconstruction, while Jenoptik left the photographic business. Some employees have taken over the assets of Frank & Heidecke, and part of the company was reborn as DHW.

At that time Jenoptic was planning to take over Sinar, too.

I guess that Phase One bought into Mamyia before the Hy6, and Phase One were probably the most successful makers of digital backs.

Lots of good info here: http://www.rolleiflexpages.com/Hy6.html

Best regards
Erik

What I recall is that the same Hong Kong based company Shriro at one stage acquired controlling interests in both Hasselblad and Imacon, and arrange the merger: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasselblad#Fuji.2C_Shriro.2C_Imacon.2C_and_the_digital_age
As you say, the new company used the more prestigious Hasselblad name, but with the CEO from Imacon, and head office in the former Imacon offices in Denmark.

So Imacon probably did not have much choice of partner in that arranged marriage.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 02:28:40 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

JV

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 07:52:54 am »

Interesting stuff at The Online Photographer.
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html

Thanks for sharing!  It looks like there is still hope.  Hopefully Eric can pull a rabbit out of his hat!!!

mbaginy

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 09:27:31 am »

Yet another death.

Truly sad.   >:(
Pages: [1]   Go Up