Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copal Press, Compur Shutters and long exposure times with digi backs  (Read 2290 times)

RomanN.

Hi,
maybe somebody have an idea how to use these shutters with longer exposure times: copal press and compur.
Both shutters work well with speeds till 1/2 sec. 1 second dont work, also B. For me the possibility for use B is much more important, I can spare 1 sec. thanks in advance.
roman

Kabraxis

• www.kabraxis.de
Re: Copal Press, Compur Shutters and long exposure times with digi backs
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 05:18:46 pm »

Sounds like your shutter needs service. After many years of operation, the lubricant start to get viscous. It is a simple operation to clean and lubricate the mechanics. Here in Switzerland the mechanics charge about 100$ for the complete check-up. There should be now Problem with long exposures then with a digital back.

Regards,
Pascal

RomanN.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 07:25:56 pm »

no, the shutters are mint. And this happen with all shutters of that type, so it is not a problem of an exemplar but of all these shutters.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 09:38:21 pm »

I am not sure from your first post, are you using a copal 0 shutter?

I have used many of them over the last 4 years with a tech camera and before than on large format.   You always have the T option.  This option would be better for longer exposures in my experience.  With the T option, you hit the shutter release once, and the shutter opens, then you hit it the 2nd time and it closes.  The B option, you have to keep the pressure on the shutter the entire time during the exposure and this leaves to the chance of movement.

If you your shutter won't get the 1 second and B to work, then T might not either, but the shutter should work with this in 1 second.  IMO that's not normal for a Copal.  The shutters I have used, the B, 1 second to 30 seconds, are always pretty accurate, but above this, accuracy is not that great, 1/60 might shoot at 1/90th, etc.  Most of the shutters I have won't shoot 1/250, ever, instead they hit 1/350th and 1/180th mark.  Most times they hit 1/500, but I don't use that very often. 

I would consider having the shutters worked by someone to see if there are any problems.  If you are in the U.S, consider Precision Camera works in IL.  They are on the web and can work over your shutters to see if they can get the lower speeds to work better. 

You may also have a problem with your cable release, not making good contact on the longer exposures, and might try a different one just to see. 

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

RomanN.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 04:08:41 am »

Hi paul,
I dont have problems with my Copal shutters. I have only problems with Copal Press ( selfcoocking shutter!) and older Compur shutters.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 08:47:48 am »

Roman.

Thanks, that's one I am not familar with.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 01:23:21 pm »

You just need to use a wake-up cable or dedicated solution like this one.

Disconnect the lens from the back, then control the back wakeup and exposure start/stop by using the cable.

Your local dealer should be able to help with both the hardware and the step-by-step process for your specific back. We (Digital Transitions) have done this with several customers for unusual use-cases.

RomanN.

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 04:39:18 pm »

thanks a lot for the info.
I would tend to a very easy solution  and take a look for an simply cable with this wake up buttom. I use cables without this. Does calumet or similar dealer in Europe offer this wake up cable?
Pages: [1]   Go Up