Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Self-Publishing a Photography Book, Part Deux  (Read 1866 times)

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
Self-Publishing a Photography Book, Part Deux
« on: March 13, 2015, 05:01:53 am »

Hi Peter,

I bought your first book, Irish Light, summer last year, and it help me a lot during my trip around Ireland (very beautiful country you have there). I enjoyed a lot your book.

I just backed this new project of yours... if I understood correctly the kickstarter webpage, you already meet you goal, congrats!!! Now, go to fly that drone of yours and send me my copy of your new book ;)

Regards,

David

nutcracker

Re: Self-Publishing a Photography Book, Part Deux
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 04:43:28 pm »

Very good article Peter.
First book is really nice, highly recommended.
Peter's workshops, his own and with others are also highly recommended.

pcox

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://www.petercox.ie
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 07:33:15 pm »

Hi guys -
Thanks for the comments and the pledges! The project is doing fantastically well now and LuLa readers are contributing heavily to it.

I hope the article is of some value to those interested in going down this road themselves. I'm looking forward to writing the next one!

Cheers,
Peter
Peter Cox Photography
[url=http://photoc

Jock Elliott

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 06:11:49 am »

Another take on self-publishing a photography book

There is another route to self-publishing that readers of Luminous Landscape might want to take, one which I discovered when I wanted to self-publish a couple of years ago.

I should explain that I have been a professional writer for over four decades, and that I often shoot photos to illustrate my professional work. I had previously successfully self-published a book on airguns called Elliott on Airguns that has sold hundreds of copies at a profit. A couple of hundred pages long with a color cover photograph and B&W photos inside, Elliott on Airguns is digitally printed on demand by a local printer.

My photographic passion, however, is photographing the sky . . . mainly the daytime sky but sometimes the night. My continual quest is to capture its epic grandeur. But when I wanted to self-publish a short (less than 30 pages) book that combines my passion for sky photography with my Christian faith, the economics at my local printer simply didn’t work: the cost for digitally printing a 24-page full-color book would be more than $20. I figured this was more than most people would want to pay for such a short book, and there was no room for profit.

I investigated several digital self-publishing services, including Amazon’s. The costs were reasonable, but I could not get the format that I wanted, which was 8.5 x 11 landscape.

It looked like there was no way forward, but then I asked myself what really was my purpose in producing the book? Was it to make a buck or to share my enthusiasm for sky photography and my faith?

Then it occurred to me: if I dropped the profit motive, I could digitally publish the book online and give it away.  Through a great deal of trial and error (I am, emphatically not a designer) I combined the words and pictures in a Word document and converted it to PDF. Airguns of Arizona, for whom I write, graciously agreed to host the book as a downloadable document, and I was in business. It can be found here: http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/blog/about-jock-elliott I posted items about the book’s availability on several forums, and people began downloading.

I shared the link with Don Streeter of www.theinspiredeye.net and he offered to host the book as well. Then, in an act of extraordinary generosity, Olivier Duong of The Inspired Eye did a professional re-design of the book before offering it (again, for free) here: http://www.theinspiredeye.net/product/heavens-declare/

The Inspired Eye does not maintain a counter on its link, but as of this writing over 700 people have downloaded my book from the Airguns of Arizona link.

The point is simply this: if you want to self-publish a photography book for the sheer love of what you do, there is a way to do it, and it doesn’t have to be expensive.

-   Jock Elliott
Pages: [1]   Go Up