Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Repairs to Phase one DB  (Read 2553 times)

drcahmss

Repairs to Phase one DB
« on: March 12, 2015, 10:08:54 am »

I have a P45+ digital back which has developed a rater intermittent flash sync. This has happened just through wear and tear as it has shot around 46000 captures.
Do I have to send it back to Denmark for repair or would my local camera repairer do this.
Also does anyone have an Idea of the cost of such a repair especially if sent to Denmark.

Would be grateful of any thoughts or experiences on repairs to Phase one backs.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: Repairs to Phase one DB
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 10:28:45 am »

46,000 captures is nothing on a MFDB.

I wouldn't trust anyone but Phase on a MFDB repair.  Best bet is to check in with a dealer and they can coordinate the repair and estimate of cost with Denmark.

ken

drcahmss

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 10:41:38 am »

Many thanks Ken

Anyone else got views?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 11:56:57 am »

I would also tend to agree, only Phase One can repair it, or should.

You can expect around a 600.00 cost of inspection, which may or may not cover the repair if it's a minor issue.  If it' a controller card, upwards of 2.5K, and a port 1K or so. 

Phase does a very though job on repairs.  Your bigger issue is getting through to them, you pretty much have to send the back in via a dealer.  Phase has a Millville NY office, and you can try them, but the dealer route is they way they tend to prefer communications, you--dealer--phase.

You can always open a ticket on their site for hardware also, but not sure how they would get the back shipped out.  More than likely it will need to go to Denmark.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

drcahmss

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 12:20:41 pm »

Many thanks Paul,

I did think that sending it back to Phase was the best option.

I am in the UK so will use one of the dealers here.

sbernthal

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 02:10:58 pm »

Sending it to Denmark is the only option.
But be preared for a repair price $1000-$2500 - they don't play.

Chris Valites

• Capture Integration
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 02:18:13 pm »

Hello,

We actually have a service repair kit for faulty PC sync ports on our website. If it's just a loose port, you might want to try this: https://www.digitalback.com/product/flash-sync-repair-toolkit-for-p-backs/

If it's a broken circuit internally, though, it'd need to go back to Phase One in Denmark with a $600 service check plus whatever the estimate of the repair itself would be.

In talking with my fellow techs, we honestly see that 9 times out of 10 this kit fixes complaints of an intermittent connection, so I highly recommend it as your first step.
Chris Valites
Research, Marketing & Support, Capture Integration(e-mail Me)
MFDB: Phase One/Leaf-Mamiya/Hasselblad/Leica/Sinar
TechCam: Alpa/Cambo/Arca Swiss/Sinar
Direct: 716.913.7936

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 04:44:13 pm »

Hi,

Very little information in your link, would you mind to share a bit more?

Another point. On the P45+ there are at least three connectors to connect a PC sync cable. Have you tried all of those? Also, I have not at all been impressed by the fit and quality of the P45 sync cables. Mine got much more healthy after cutting aways a lot of rubber coating with a good knife.

Best regards
Erik

Hello,

We actually have a service repair kit for faulty PC sync ports on our website. If it's just a loose port, you might want to try this: https://www.digitalback.com/product/flash-sync-repair-toolkit-for-p-backs/

If it's a broken circuit internally, though, it'd need to go back to Phase One in Denmark with a $600 service check plus whatever the estimate of the repair itself would be.

In talking with my fellow techs, we honestly see that 9 times out of 10 this kit fixes complaints of an intermittent connection, so I highly recommend it as your first step.
Erik Kaffehr

Chris Valites

• Capture Integration
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 05:24:07 pm »

You effectively use the tool to unscrew the PC sync terminal on the P+ back, then you use one of the included 5 PC syncs with the tool to get screwed back in. It's pretty easy to use when you get it out of the package.
Chris Valites
Research, Marketing & Support, Capture Integration(e-mail Me)
MFDB: Phase One/Leaf-Mamiya/Hasselblad/Leica/Sinar
TechCam: Alpa/Cambo/Arca Swiss/Sinar
Direct: 716.913.7936

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 10:58:27 pm »

Thanks! Great feature!

Erik

You effectively use the tool to unscrew the PC sync terminal on the P+ back, then you use one of the included 5 PC syncs with the tool to get screwed back in. It's pretty easy to use when you get it out of the package.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up