Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone know about good Capture Ome 8 Turorials?  (Read 18231 times)

David Medina

Does anyone know about good Capture Ome 8 Turorials?
« on: March 10, 2015, 11:40:15 pm »

Can anyone suggest a comprehensive tutorial series on Capture One 8?

I have considered the one from Lula but it is on C1 7. Any suggestions?

I am trying to learn it and replace my LR workflow for weddings using C1 8.

Thanks.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: Does anyone know about good Capture Ome 8 Turorials?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 11:49:32 pm »

The Tutorial we made on C1 7 is very good.  There are not that many differences and features in C1 8.  The tutorial will get you through 90 plus % of C1.  We will be doing an update when we do the LR 6 update which we hope will be very soon. 

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

mgrayson

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 06:02:18 am »

Does anyone else find the absence of Capture One books strange?  ??? It appears that C1 experts interested in education offer classes, or produce videos, but never write anything. Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture - plenty of books. A quick Amazon search returns over 10,000 results for Photoshop, 1,200 for Lightroom, 600 for Aperture, NONE for Capture One. I wonder if Phase One supports the more expensive training model and refuses permission for authors.

--Matt

ario

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 06:29:41 am »

I think that SW like this evolves so fast that a book will become quickly outdated. Much easier to follow up with videos or blog posts.

mgrayson

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 06:44:08 am »

Exactly why I compared it to Photoshop, Lightroom, and Aperture. At least two of them are held up as models of rapid development and innovation. And that makes publishers happier, as they can then sell the 11th edition...

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com

mgrayson

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 08:43:37 am »

Indeed, Doug taught me much of what I know about C1. I still wish there were some books.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 03:25:40 pm »

Indeed, Doug taught me much of what I know about C1. I still wish there were some books.

Me too! Would save me a lot of time putting together class curriculums :).

Rawcoll

• iCIMAGING
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 10:32:35 am »

Does anyone else find the absence of Capture One books strange?

At the beginning of last year there was supposed to be a book about C1-7, but it never materialised as the author didn't come up with the goods.

It's a pity, as I much prefer the printed page to on-screen stuff (probably my age, I don't think the youngsters have the same issues). For LR I found Martin Evening's books to be excellent, with plenty of 'meat' to cover most eventualities, and were promptly issued with each upgrade. There is no reason the same couldn't be done for C1, if the market was large enough. To be fair, the on-line information about C1 is pretty detailed; I think what I find most problematic with it is the indexing and cross-referencing, so finding what I want isn't always easy.

Ian

JWB

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 10:52:25 am »

My impression of the documentation from both Phase One and Adobe are that they are relatively high level overviews. Here is what the documentation from Phase One says about sharpening in Capture One Pro 8:

Sharpen an image file

1. Go to the Details Tool Tab.
    2. Either set Viewer to 100% or choose a sharp area with the picker in the Focus tool.
    3. Press the Manage Presets icon to access a variety of sharpening settings.
    4. Fine-tune the desired setting using the sliders.
    5. Use the Hand tool to check other areas of the image at 100%

Wow, is that uninformative! "Fine-tune the desired setting using the sliders." Care to tell me exactly what each of the sliders is doing?

By comparison, Apple's documentation for Aperture 3.5 concerning sharpening is 3 pages. It provides details about how the edge sharpening tool works and it provides a suggested workflow.

Beginning on page 311
https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1560/en_US/Aperture_3_User_Manual.pdf

And incidentally, that's only the documentation for creative sharpening. They have additional documentation elsewhere for capture sharpening.

I think Adobe and Phase One have both done a great job of producing some great products, but shame on them for their poor documentation.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 12:34:53 pm »

By comparison, Apple's documentation for Aperture 3.5 concerning sharpening is 3 pages. It provides details about how the edge sharpening tool works and it provides a suggested workflow.

While I agree that the C1 manual isn't a tutorial, being more verbose doesn't mean the Aperture manual is of higher educational quality.
In fact, on that page 311 they immediately supply wrong information:
Images shot with digital image sensors are often a bit soft in focus because of the demosaic filter applied by the camera’s processor

The image does not look softer due to the demosaicing (demosaicing only contributes some 2% to the total blur), but because of the lens and aperture used in combination with the sensor (which may additionally have an AA-filter), which accounts for 98% of the Capture blur.

I think Adobe and Phase One have both done a great job of producing some great products, but shame on them for their poor documentation.

Manuals are traditionally (not always though) less elaborate with these products, when they expect (maybe unjustified) a certain level of prior knowledge from the intended users.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

JWB

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 02:14:45 pm »

Manuals are traditionally (not always though) less elaborate with these products, when they expect (maybe unjustified) a certain level of prior knowledge from the intended users.

Bart, I would agree with that for the most part, but at the same time, an experienced photographer should not have to reverse engineer a product in order to find out what it's doing. There has to be some middle ground.

For example, does C1 apply output sharpening when exporting to disk? The answer is yes, but you won't find that in the manual. At best, you find an option in the export dialog that allows you to disable sharpening, but it is not clear whether that refers to creative sharpening or to output sharpening. Shouldn't this be documented?

I think the fact of the matter is that writing good documentation is very difficult to do. In addition, many (or perhaps most) users don't read the documentation, so many companies are reluctant to take on the task producing proper documentation. It's a trend that has been going on for years. It is this trend that I lament.

On the other hand, there are other resources out there that are extremely helpful, this forum included. And Bart, I have seen many of your posts in these forums and feel that I have learned quite a bit from them. Thank you.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 03:41:32 pm »

Bart, I would agree with that for the most part, but at the same time, an experienced photographer should not have to reverse engineer a product in order to find out what it's doing. There has to be some middle ground.

I agree, unless it adds a lot of cost or delays the release of a product.

For example, does C1 apply output sharpening when exporting to disk? The answer is yes, but you won't find that in the manual. At best, you find an option in the export dialog that allows you to disable sharpening, but it is not clear whether that refers to creative sharpening or to output sharpening. Shouldn't this be documented?

Since there is only one type of sharpening possible before exporting it seems obvious to me, unless you refer to Local adjustment layers. Since they don't mention the output option in the online manual (should be added, although it's very briefly mentioned in the video) one has to assume that the Local adjustments sharpening is treated the same as the regular Detail panel sharpening, either enabled or disabled for output.

I think the fact of the matter is that writing good documentation is very difficult to do. In addition, many (or perhaps most) users don't read the documentation, so many companies are reluctant to take on the task producing proper documentation. It's a trend that has been going on for years. It is this trend that I lament.

I agree, a good manual takes time to develop, and most people seem to not read it.

On the other hand, there are other resources out there that are extremely helpful, this forum included. And Bart, I have seen many of your posts in these forums and feel that I have learned quite a bit from them. Thank you.

You're welcome. I think a trend that's hard to stop is that an on-line manual (easy to publish/expand/update), accompanied by tutorial videos is what we can expect from most companies. Frankly, the C1 tutorial videos are not that bad. Remaining questions can always be posted to support fora.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 04:18:07 pm »

Another resource for capture one is to watch their webinars, they are pretty informative.

If you think the Capture One and Apple manuals are not that great you should see the lack of documentation for Pixinsight, which is mostly for astronomical image processing, there is no formal manual. The authors would not do one. So other people have filled in gaps with videos and writing their own documents, and it is an extremely complicated and high learning curve program. There are more tutorials for it now but originally there was virtually nothing.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up