Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumb questions regarding home projectors.  (Read 74294 times)

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Dumb questions regarding home projectors.
« on: March 10, 2015, 05:40:59 pm »

I've never had a digital proyector in my life, nor planning on buying one for the time being. However, I'm fixing some 400 wedding files to be projected in a venue. I am  telling my client to rent a projector with 1080p X1920 of native resolution.
I assume those are the numbers for a horizontal file. What happens with vertical files? Will the projector give 1920 on the other axis too?
If so, shouldn't these projectors be advertised as 1920X1920?
TIA
Ed 

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Dumb questions regarding home projectors.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 05:44:40 pm »

I've never had a digital proyector in my life, nor planning on buying one for the time being. However, I'm fixing some 400 wedding files to be projected in a venue. I am  telling my client to rent a projector with 1080p X1920 of native resolution.
I assume those are the numbers for a horizontal file. What happens with vertical files? Will the projector give 1920 on the other axis too?

No, it will give 1080 pixels to the long axis of a portrait-orientation file.

Unless you turn the projector on its side...

Jim

uaiomex

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 05:54:08 pm »

Thank you Jim for the quick answer. So, in reality vertical pictures will be projected smaller than horizontal ones. Or as big but with less resolution?

Shouldn't this call for a manufacturer to build one full HD projector for both vertical and horizontal files?

I know the market could be a niche but for certain photographers and companies it could be worth the extra money.

uaiomex

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 05:59:21 pm »

Then again, how do I fix the files? If I resample to 1080 the long side becomes 1620 only. Short of 1920.

If I go for 1920 then the short side goes to 1280.

The files are 2:3 ratio unless cropped.

How do I optimize?

Thanks again

Ed
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:06:39 pm by uaiomex »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 06:19:58 pm »

...How do I optimize?

I am assuming the projector is going to resize images to its native resolution anyway, but you might lose some quality in the process. So your best bet is to resize yourself, either:

- resize every image to 1920 on longer side, or
- separate your images in two groups (horiz. and vert.) and resize each appropriately: i.e., horiz. for 1920 and vert. for 1080 on longer side

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 06:30:45 pm »

Thank you Jim for the quick answer. So, in reality vertical pictures will be projected smaller than horizontal ones. Or as big but with less resolution?

Smaller. The pixels are square.

Shouldn't this call for a manufacturer to build one full HD projector for both vertical and horizontal files?

I know the market could be a niche but for certain photographers and companies it could be worth the extra money.

It probably depends on how much extra money, doesn't it? We're piggybacking on the video market. If you want higher resolution, you could get a 4K projector. I see yu got some good advice about preparing your files.

One thing I sometimes do in prep is letterbox all the images to the full resolution of the projector. That way the projector sees the same size and orientation of image no matter what the size or shape of the image inside the container image.

Jim

Jim

uaiomex

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 07:00:27 pm »

Thank you guys. You took the fog away.

Best

Eduardo

Bearmann

• http://brsphoto.zenfolio.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 12:32:46 am »

I am assuming the projector is going to resize images to its native resolution anyway, but you might lose some quality in the process. So your best bet is to resize yourself, either:

- resize every image to 1920 on longer side, or
- separate your images in two groups (horiz. and vert.) and resize each appropriately: i.e., horiz. for 1920 and vert. for 1080 on longer side

As above. the projector will resize, but you may lose some quality. No need to separate the images, though, if you have Photoshop. Photoshop > File > Scripts > Image Processor. Fill in the boxes with 1920 horizontal and 1080 vertical. You can even add a little sharpening action to the processor if you like. Note though that the resolution you chose is a fairly high end projector and may be overkill for your purpose. I think a standard projector is 1024 x 768.
Barry[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up