Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Service Program & Ink Charge on 4900  (Read 3040 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Service Program & Ink Charge on 4900
« on: March 10, 2015, 12:24:34 pm »

I'm starting a new thread here 'cause the other thread was solved - to a certain degree.

I've have a bad PK(MK) clog (nothing showed on the nozzle test) for a few weeks, and finally got it cleared using the 4900 Service Program and the Ink Charge function. No clogs at all on that side of the machine.  However, I have a stubborn VLM/LC clog that wouldn't clear (about 15-20% blank nozzles) so ran the Ink Charge on that side as well, hoping to clear it. Didn't work.. and now I have a total drop out of LLK & Y on that side!

For some reason though, when I tried to run the Ink Charge for the left side of the unit now, it won't stop. It'll do the Ink Charge... and then start it all over again! The only way to stop it is to pull the plug. I'm sure doing that in the middle of the cycle doesn't help, but I didn't know what else to do.

Any suggestions?
Mike Guilbault

Erland

Re: Service Program & Ink Charge on 4900
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 02:31:29 pm »

I did read something in the service manual for the 1400 that it wont get a ok sign and then redo it until the printer reports a good  charge
Service Technician Digital Printers and Peripherals.
Epson Stylus Photo 1400.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 02:38:22 pm »

Any suggestions?

Call Epson ProGraphics tech support (California) and ask for guidance over the phone. It is free as long as they don't need to do anything more than talk with you.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 02:43:51 pm »

Thanks... I didn't find anything like that in the 4900 manual. It was starting on the 3rd round when I pulled the plug.  Anyone else have this happen on a 4900?  I may need to purchase more ink and maintenance tanks!
Mike Guilbault

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 02:45:23 pm »

I emailed Espon Support here in Canada - they suggested a service call, of course.
Mike Guilbault

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 02:48:00 pm »

That's why I recommended phoning ProGraphics in the USA first. They may be able to give you guidance over the phone that will clear it up without the need for a service call. Here in Canada Epson is not equipped to provide that kind of support. Their only option is to recommend a technician.

Farmer

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 06:17:33 pm »

With all due respect, Mike, you're using software and a manual which are not designed for public consumption - in fact, they are proprietary IP the distribution of which is not authorised.

Anyway, you won't get support from Epson using those items for the above reasons and without the proper training, you may well encounter issues.

Again, I say this with absolute respect and with no intention of anything other than stating the facts.
Phil Brown

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 10:20:42 pm »

Good point Mark... and Phil as well. I just know how much a service call is going to be (well, more than I can afford right now at least) and was hoping for a solution. I asked just in case I missed a point along the way somewhere.  I'll try calling ProGraphics in the morning.
Mike Guilbault

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 10:33:37 pm »

Yup. Just don't breathe the words "Service Manual" or "Service Program".  :-)

ThomasR99

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 10:21:02 am »

Hey, Mike:  Have you resolved your issues yet? As a 4900 owner myself, I keep a pretty close eye on these types of discussions in case there's any lessons in them for me in keeping my unit happy.

Thomas.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 10:42:32 pm »

Not yet, I'm afraid.  I just purchased another ink cartridge that was running out.. the LLK, which is one of the colours with a total clog (or air trap - but still not printing anything).  I did another ink charge and still nothing in either the LLK or Y.  At this point I'm at a loss.  I haven't called ProGraphics yet, but I'm thinking it's going to be a damper replacement or worse, and I just can't afford it right now. The problem of course, is that the longer I leave it, the more problems I may have, but if I have a service call, I guess whether it's two nozzles or all of them doesn't really matter in the case of a new head.  So, for now, I'm going to run with my 9900 doing double duty and when I can afford it, I'll get a service call on the 4900. 
Mike Guilbault

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 08:12:11 am »

I wouldn't presume anything as there can be several causes. With all the time, effort and ink you are expending on this, if it were me, I would have called Pro-Graphics long ago for advice, and depending on what they said, at least gone as far as getting a diagnosis and estimate of the repair charge. Unfortunately, you are right, it can be costly, but at least start with the phone call and ask for what they think are the most likely culprits and the consequences for each, noting that you are in Canada (I believe) where the service options are different. (We don't have Decision One here.)

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 10:01:37 pm »

Good point Mark.
Mike Guilbault

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 03:03:13 pm »

Well, ProGraphics said basically the same thing... get a tech to check it out.  $100 to show up, + $175/hr + parts. Can't afford that right now, so 9900 will see some extra duty - which wouldn't hurt anyway.
Mike Guilbault

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 04:07:32 pm »

Sounds about par for the course. Unfortunate. Did they say what firm would do the work for you?

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 11:15:38 pm »

No they didn't.  Only to call them back and they'd schedule something for me.  I assume if I call the Canadian support line I'd get the same service.
Mike Guilbault

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 08:29:35 am »

I believe so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up