Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Enhanced grain/noise with DXO10. Reason?  (Read 2940 times)

MacAngus

Enhanced grain/noise with DXO10. Reason?
« on: March 10, 2015, 04:46:13 am »

I am new to the forum so first hello everybody!

My experience with photography and image processing could be best classified as somewhere between beginner and intermediate. There is a lot more to learn than gained knowledge.

I have a question about the attached 1:1 crop. Given the iso rating the shot was taken (140) I am surprised to see such a noisy sky. Development was done under DXO10. See main settings below.
Are there DXO users out there who could indicate what settings could be the cause? Any sensible settings I should additionally check? Are the profiles from the filmpack just problematic in these terms? I lowered most contrast so there is only slightly enhanced microcontrast in combination with smartlightning?

filmpack: generic Velvia 80%
smartlightning: 17
highlights: -25
midtones:15
shadows: 10

contrast: -10
finecontrast: 5
shadow contrast: -10
Lens Softness: -0.50

When processing high iso images with DXO I have most of the time Problems with severely enhanced grain. Denoising helps but why would the processing do it prior to that?

Any help is really appreciated. i noticed that we have some DXO users. The program is still rare and professional insights and tips are not wide spread.

A second question (offtopic) in terms of DXO would be about the spot left to the eye. The sensor was just being cleaned by Nikon. Dirt left on the sensor or did you -ever- notice a blurry fly on a photo?

Thank you all

kirkt

Re: Enhanced grain/noise with DXO10. Reason?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 10:47:17 am »

I'm not sure without seeing the original file (raw, right?) what the issue might be.  For starters, the image appears a couple of stops underexposed, which will result in noise being an issue, regardless of the raw conversion application you use.

If you post a link to the original raw file for us to download and take a look at, it would be helpful.  Use a file sharing service like Dropbox, etc. and post a link here.

kirk

FabienP

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 06:14:11 pm »

MacAngus, I see you have been applying a DxO Film Pack profile (generic Velvia). It might be the cause of the grain that appears on the supplied cropped image.

You can apply film profiles selectively in DxO (colour and/or grain). If you are only interested in simulating film colour and don't want to have film grain applied to the image, you should uncheck that latter option in the DxO Film Pack adjustment section. I believe the control is called DxO Film Pack Grain. You might want to check that it has been turned off in your case.

As for the fly, it is probably dirt on the sensor. I once had a midge in Scotland that ended its life in my camera. It entered there while I was switching lenses. The poor creature never reached the Velvia roll that was in there since it had its head chopped off by the shutter. After a day of constant harrassment by midges, I must admit I almost enjoyed it - until I had to clean the mess it did on the shutter. :P

Cheers,
Fabien

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 08:11:12 am »

As for the fly, it is probably dirt on the sensor. I once had a midge in Scotland that ended its life in my camera. It entered there while I was switching lenses. The poor creature never reached the Velvia roll that was in there since it had its head chopped off by the shutter. After a day of constant harrassment by midges, I must admit I almost enjoyed it - until I had to clean the mess it did on the shutter. :P

That's a major argument in favor of global shutter equipped sensors.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 08:23:38 pm by BernardLanguillier »

MacAngus

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 02:44:03 am »

Thank you so far.
I will upload the raw when I am home and post a link.
Even if the shot is messed up i.e. underexposed I have the feeling that I can possibly learn something here. Progress in knowledge is always welcome!
Pages: [1]   Go Up